Firewood Log Form

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upsnake

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a load of wood in log form.

I have already found two places and the price is not too bad. My question though is for anybody that has purchased wood this way, well for anybody i guess but...

One load was 5 cord and the other was 20. My equipment existed of a good saw, (ms 311), an adequate splitter, (speeco 22 ton), and a one person power tractor (me).

My concern is once the wood is stacked is getting it down to cut with out killing myself. I don't want to get a pile of logs and just not be able to move them at all.

So for the ppl that got wood this way before did you all have tractors to move the logs or?

Thanks

I am looking at purchasing a load of wood in log form.

I have already found two places and the price is not too bad. My question though is for anybody that has purchased wood this way, well for anybody i guess but...

One load was 5 cord and the other was 20. My equipment existed of a good saw, (ms 311), an adequate splitter, (speeco 22 ton), and a one person power tractor (me).

My concern is once the wood is stacked is getting it down to cut with out killing myself. I don't want to get a pile of logs and just not be able to move them at all.

So for the ppl that got wood this way before did you all have tractors to move the logs or?

Thanks
When they deliver they should have a grapple loader, if you explain to the driver that you have no tractor and that you are concerned about logs rolling onto you while cutting on the pile he will not stack them high as he will want to come back next year and if you kill yourself in the wood pile he just lost a customer, look at getting a PEE-VEE to roll the wood to a safe location,LOGRITE has a nice product made from aluminum and PEE VEE has a wooden handle, Good luck and be careful

First off I hate cutting off piles! Like was said above ask for low piles on stickers. A peavey/canthook is your friend and watch your bar tip. Roll off a log from the top cut and repeat. Depending on the size you can use your splitter as a log holder it will hold logs up to about 10" diameter. I try to have someone with me for safety when I cut off of a pile. Stay safe.

attachment.php

View attachment 303944

I was thinking maybe something like this would work for keeping them off the ground for cutting?
It seems like that could just be built out of 2x4's

When they deliver they should have a grapple loader, if you explain to the driver that you have no tractor and that you are concerned about logs rolling onto you while cutting on the pile he will not stack them high as he will want to come back next year and if you kill yourself in the wood pile he just lost a customer, look at getting a PEE-VEE to roll the wood to a safe location,LOGRITE has a nice product made from aluminum and PEE VEE has a wooden handle, Good luck and be careful

Actually the tool you refer to is a "Peavey". Developed to break up logjams on river drives. Named for inventor.

The pointed end of a peavey really doesn't help you rolling logs. I know, I was given one back when. The pointy end is good for wedging jams apart, resting it in the ground, and weighting it down.

For rolling logs on land, like at sawmills, a cant hook is much preferable, being able to grab a log in two places. LogRite's aluminum tools are well made and LIGHT. My wooden peavey is not. Their hookaroon is really handy for pulling bucked rounds free, while keeping your body parts well clear- my 60" one gets lots of use.

attachment.php

View attachment 303944

I was thinking maybe something like this would work for keeping them off the ground for cutting?
It seems like that could just be built out of 2x4's

I've never cut off of a pile, but I would be concerned that more than one log would roll off. Also, be careful of the weight becuase if it's just 2x4's they could break with enough force from the pile. Maybe 4x4's with metal L brackets would be a better brace?

I've used a sort of holders like you suggest, worked pretty well for the smaller pieces. One man show with only a chainsaw at that time. I've used 1'x2'x1/8', way heavy enough for the oak I was cutting. Here is a picture of the saw buck I made.

View attachment 303956

I would load both sides (the parts between the black and red tubes) and saw them all at once with my MS362 18" bar. Starting from the outside and going to the middle equally from both sides with 1 cut remaining in the middle. Usually around 1/4 of a cord and little less than a fuel tank with logs of 8'.
If you remove the logs that are in a dangerous positions then everything will stay in place, never had a log rolling unexpectedly.

Whenever I have to cut off a pile I just use a recovery strap and my truck to pull the ones that I feel are a hazard. I'm sure peavys and log rollers are easier but If you don't have them a rope, strap or chain and a 4x4 works pretty good too.

I cut off of a pile all the time, not a big deal, just need to watch what you're doing and be careful. The first load I ever got had not holders on the back, he just made a low stack across 4 forebearing logs (he just set four logs on the ground perpendicular to how the stack was going to) and I had no problems with it. Since then I've been using two dead poplars, as I left the stumps at 5.5' tall as my back stops, again, no issue. You have to read the pile to see how the logs are set, will the log you're about to move bring three others with it? I tend to use my Kubota and a tow strap when I'm not sure, front end loader makes a good log holder:msp_biggrin: The forebearers are always a bear to cut up when you finally get to them as they will settled into the ground. I recently bought a Woodchuck quad log tool and love it, can use it as a cant hook, timber jack, log holder and fence post puller. I don't have a lot of area to lay wood down, so pile cutting is a way of life for me.

Ok stupid question.

When you are talking about cutting off the pile you are still talking about taking the piece you are cutting off the pile first then cutting right? Or are you going onto the top of the pile and cutting the piece there?

I've had to cut on a pile a few times. Not my favorite thing, but if you read the pile and cut the logs like they are pick up sticks it works ok.

Ok stupid question.

When you are talking about cutting off the pile you are still talking about taking the piece you are cutting off the pile first then cutting right? Or are you going onto the top of the pile and cutting the piece there?

I've cut up many a pile - and I do neither.

I just stand on the ground & start cutting.

As long as it's not piled up into a mountain, and you're thinking about what you're doing, you should be OK. I like not much more than 4' high. And yes, a cant hook is a very good investment.

Snake, if the pile is stacked low, it isn't hard to manage with hand tools, just stay off to the side when rolling logs off, and be ready to take off if one bounces sideways.

I agree that a 2x4 frame won't last long with logs of any size bouncing down onto em.

RE: Price, the 5 cord guy is overpriced at least in my area, unless it's a long delivery. I don't know what the big guy has for prices, but keep in mind that it's probably going to show up on one of your big Michigan 8+ axle rigs, and they'll need lots of room to maneuver. If you're short on open space, it's something to consider.

I have cut off a pile a good bit, and I reckon I do it a bit different than other folks. Using a long bar, I start at the top left corner and cut my way down the pile clear to the ground, and remove the rounds as I go. Some folks start and cut their rounds and go across the pile one log at a time, but I prefer my method. The whole pile doesnt get disturbed, and as I cut the pile just gets shorter across rather diminish in size down. A big saw with the longest bar you got and you can make quick work of a pile in a few hours this way and not have to deal with logs rolling.

I have cut off piles just use common sense when rolling them off an you will be fine. I have two loaders and have not used either on the piles

View attachment 303970

This pic is old just had more delivered I will try to get more pics.

Steve - 2100 for 20 cord, and it is being trucked about 130 miles one way. The 5 cord one seems a bit pricey considering it is only being trucked about 15 miles.

I am not 100% my wood source has dried up, but it is looking shakey, and I am behind so I figured i could order a a load of of wood, and that would at least hold me over until i figure out what is going on with my wood source.

Also what I was thinking (and maybe this is not allowed for the truck driver) but putting the wood here. Then they could unload it right from the road, and wouldn't have to risk leaving a solid surface and getting stuck or damaging anything.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 303971
View attachment 303972

I have cut off a pile a good bit, and I reckon I do it a bit different than other folks. Using a long bar, I start at the top left corner and cut my way down the pile clear to the ground, and remove the rounds as I go. Some folks start and cut their rounds and go across the pile one log at a time, but I prefer my method. The whole pile doesnt get disturbed, and as I cut the pile just gets shorter across rather diminish in size down. A big saw with the longest bar you got and you can make quick work of a pile in a few hours this way and not have to deal with logs rolling.

That's how it is done with one caveat.:msp_smile:

During hunting season hunters seem to like to help themselves to wood from logs decked in the woods. The hunters can't read the NO WOODCUTTING signs stapeled several to a deck, or the NO WOODCUT painted on the deck. The logs in the deck are cut to specific lengths that the mill wants. One logger, after returning from the weekend to find that the method quoted was used, said he would prefer that wood thieves cut one log completely up. That way, the whole deck is not ruined.

So, in your driveway cut top down. If stealing wood from a log deck--work on one log across. ;)

Steve - 2100 for 20 cord, and it is being trucked about 130 miles one way. The 5 cord one seems a bit pricey considering it is only being trucked about 15 miles.

I am not 100% my wood source has dried up, but it is looking shakey, and I am behind so I figured i could order a a load of of wood, and that would at least hold me over until i figure out what is going on with my wood source.

Also what I was thinking (and maybe this is not allowed for the truck driver) but putting the wood here. Then they could unload it right from the road, and wouldn't have to risk leaving a solid surface and getting stuck or damaging anything.

attachment.php

View attachment 303971
View attachment 303972

You might want to trim those branches so the deliverer has room to swing the logs--or are they short logs?

Back