Firewood logs in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohiowoodguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We've finally decided we don't have time to skid logs, haul them home, make firewood, store it, and deliver it- since demand has once again cleaned us out. So we're gonna start buying the logs delivered. (But we're keeping the JD440B). We've had a few guys start delivering, but when we talk to the local loggers or truckers, its like they either don't believe or don't understand us. We tell the we need at least 500 cords/year of logs for a processor and are willing to pay the same the mills are paying for blocking/pallet timber. We know that one outfit isn't gonna be able to satisfy our demand, but response has been less than enthusiastic. We thought they would like to get $$$ for what otherwise is left to rot. Any suggestions on sources?:confused:

I don't know if it will come of anything or not, but try to get ahold of the amish in the wooster or apple creek area. I would go to the stihl dealership in Apple creek and ask those guys. TO the best of my knowledge they do not have a phone.

There are 3 or four mills pretty close to there and lots of loggers in and out of that shop. It might be worth the half an hour drive over there to check it out.

I feel your pain I have talked to a few loggers also. It's hard to get them to break from the mold. Keep at it and you will find someone. I have thought about buying a log truck an going to there logging site and picking logs up. You could get them a little cheaper because they don't have to truck them.

Scott

I'm not sure why it would be a problem or maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do. Around here (Geauga Co.) there are a few firewood processors and I see loads of logs there all the time. They were advertising log truck loads of firewood poles for $550 recently in the local paper. We're 100 miles from you but I don't think it would be hard to make a deal up here if the trucking would kill you. If you need to make some connections you can try Dan or Don at First Quality Sales in Middlefield 440-632-5068. Tell them that Phil from Grace Tree gave you the number. It's a local saw shop and they may be able to help you.
Regards,
Phil

Logs found

Took Morningwood's tip and sounds like they can meet my demands- unless they're full of B$. Thanks for your quick help guys.:cheers:

Ya, I could see how some of the loggers can be leary of selling to a firewood guy. They probably just don't believe you would keep the money flowing in their hands and really needing that much wood.

Hopefully that clearing company comes through for you.

You might have an outside chance to get some logs from a local clearing company near me. They just bought a grinder last year so they could chip almost everything, but they were planning to truck it all down to the boiler in Akron over the winter. Well, the boiler never opened up and they are stuck with the chips, so I think they are rethinking their game plan. I know of last fall, they were working down in Wadsworth for a new school. So that isn't too far from you.

Carlton Helmling Excavating. (330) 274-0962

Find out what repair shops the loggers frequent and spread word at those places. It may take a year or two but they will catch on and soon you will be buried in logs. Maybe they are not the smartest knives in the drawers but it took my brother ~2 years to line up the guys to supply his operation. That was ~15 years ago and now he is set. His current suppliers now are so desperate to get rid of wood they will stack it on his property and wait until next year when he sells the firewood to get paid. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back