Financing Woods equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to use a processor and cut my hours per cord from four hours per cord down to one, especially as humid as it was today.... However, if I borrowed to buy a processor, payments would leave me short of cash to buy logs. So I work with what I have because I'm under funded.
If I had a processor, on paper I could increase profits, but I would also have to borrow more to purchase a much, much greater volume of logs. It may even be worth it, but I'm not comfortable borrowing that much, even though I could if I used the house (our house not my house) for collateral.
Comes down to what your comfortable with. And, I'm comfortable where I'm at...in our house (which is paid for).
Besides, by me, fewer and fewer people use firewood in fireplaces and wood stoves, as more and more of my sales are small orders for fire pit wood. Pellet stoves and natural gas is much more convenient these days in newer homes and condos, for young and old a like. Insurance companies favor those alternatives as well.

We did make a, large for us, purchase on credit this year, replacing a car we bought new in 2005, with a new car. Zero percent, zero down, and a full tank of gas. Nothing fancy, but new was cheaper than financing used, we shopped hard on price, and, the money set aside for a car the past few years is still in the bank. We stuck with a basic plan, and said no to sun roofs, leather interiors, and loaded electronics, which were all very, very tempting to take home, with just a signature.
Not sure if fools seldom differ or great minds think alike but that's pretty much the mindset we have here too. I would love to have greater production, but I'd hate my current set-up far less than I would scratching to make payments if something went wrong, the market turned, something completely out of left field made it hard to make it work and the market didn't value the gear enough to recover my losses, etc.

Having got out from under the thumb of the banks/lenders, we don't ever want to go back, even if it means doing without while we save for it.

in my book if you cant pay cash for it you don't need it.... use what you already have till it drops off the frame! when needing to buy, never use more then what you have saved for in the second redundancy emergency fund! I "WOOD" never use my homes security as a finance fund period!...…...

That's not "smart business" at all. Only reason I'd run something to the ground is if I got it cheap and it's of minimal value if sold.
The constant worry about what's breaking next, plus even the nickel and dime (which on equipment is more like hundred and thousands), and then the downtime.
Sure something new can fail too, but there's less chance.

We aren't talking few hundred $$s. This us well beyond "rainy day" money.

Run a worn out or too small nachine, make let's say $500/day, or trade it in on something better, with a $1000/month payment, but make $700/day. Easily pays itself.

I get the impression most on here haven't price out equipment much. Can easily drop $200k on ONE piece of iron for logging

That's not "smart business" at all. Only reason I'd run something to the ground is if I got it cheap and it's of minimal value if sold.
The constant worry about what's breaking next, plus even the nickel and dime (which on equipment is more like hundred and thousands), and then the downtime.

Run a worn out or too small nachine, make let's say $500/day, or trade it in on something better, with a $1000/month payment, but make $700/day. Easily pays itself.

I get the impression most on here haven't price out equipment much. Can easily drop $200k on ONE piece of iron for logging

200k for what? My new harvester was almost 3x that but it’s cheaper to run, faster and no down time vs our old machine our parts and down time makes the payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its all relevant to your business size and out put! all my equipment is paid for and well maintained! the problem with people today is they don't want to turn a wrench anymore then needed ! "its easier to buy new and not have to check the oil(fluids) in most cases!!!! ….. lol

I haven't seen you around here before, so welcome to the site!

Well this is the firewood forum, most of us are weekend warriors whose entire collection of firewood cutting equipment is worth less than a superbowl ticket. LOL

There is a forestry and logging forum in here as well with some really knowledgeable dudes. Just beware of the salty old codgers who only hang out in there to pick fights ;)

Been here for a few years. I started the thread.

Firewood equipment...feller buncher, delimber, skidder, harvester, forwarder, firewood processor, skid steer, etc, etc.

100, 200, 300 level seats tickets cost $5000.00 2018

50 Yard Line Club Seats, Premier Pregame Party, In-Game Club Access & Post-Game On-Field Celebrations
$17,500.00 2018.

That kind of money for a game.
Not me.

:D Al

100, 200, 300 level seats tickets cost $5000.00 2018

50 Yard Line Club Seats, Premier Pregame Party, In-Game Club Access & Post-Game On-Field Celebrations
$17,500.00 2018.

That kind of money for a game.
Not me.

:envy: "GOL" the only game in town worth playing/working !!! ?? …… lol

Screw paying that much money to watch millionaires play a game.

Cheaper to watch college games and even better high school. First HS games tonight.

Been here for a few years. I started the thread.

Firewood equipment...feller buncher, delimber, skidder, harvester, forwarder, firewood processor, skid steer, etc, etc.
Been a heck of a thread, we went from financing equipment, to WC rules, and now we are at the Superbowl. Heck of a ride.

It took me a minute to figure that one out as well LOL
I figured it out right away, I cant figure out why Valley started a new profile. Maybe we can start a conspiracy theory. You know, he can see Russia from his house???? Has he asked Putin to finance his new processor? So many questions, so few answers.

Just Funing.:laugh: Wait, Funing is a province in China

I figured it out right away, I cant figure out why Valley started a new profile. Maybe we can start a conspiracy theory. You know, he can see Russia from his house???? Has he asked Putin to finance his new processor? So many questions, so few answers.

Just Funing.:laugh: Wait, Funing is a province in China
His private server was hacked?

Not hacked, he spilled bleach on it while washing his clothes. Just a little bleach bit is all it took. He took a cloth and tried to wipe it off, but then he dropped a hammer on it and that ended that.:chop:
:)
It's kinda funny how life comes up with stuff art couldn't or wouldn't even dare dream up.

Back