Firewood: logs or branches what is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatra805

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have an ongoing discussion here at home what is best to buy.

Pricing is not the issue as it is very clear. The branches delivered in 1 meter pieces are about 1/3 more expensive just because they have to drive 4 times up and down versus the log truck once for the same amount.

My question relates to heat output and work to process the wood.

What is heating better / longer / cleaner: split logs or branches of which half is split also? any benefits burning one or the other?

Secondly the amount of work.
This is a 1 man operation, splitting by hand.
Logs: 18" and bigger, branches less than 12" all hardwood

Both are delivered next to the woodpile, so handling is anyway a minimum.

Cutting up the branches is a lot of bending and moving the cut pieces to be able to reach the non cut pieces.

Cutting up a logs is easier, flat ground and reachable from all sides etc.

Splitting the branches is again picking up and moving around. Splitting a round is probably harder but the round lays where it is split and you only have to pile the split pieces.

With my chainsaw addiction i like the idea more to buck some nice big logs versus the "stupidly small" branches. My internal manhood feelings also see it more "manly" splitting big rounds with a big sledgehammer.
But... the GF, who knows me better that myself, is insisting on the fact that i will not be able to handle the logs....

A sidenote is also the future plan to build a splitter. There I see a significant difference in my thinking between a splitter for branches (would be horizontal at standing work height - table) versus a log-round splitter which I would make vertical attached to a mini-tractor which drives to the rounds and grabs them.

Gas is going down 15% start of next year and wood prices will be falling. So i plan on making some reserve stock as guaranteed the gas distributor will find a reason to go up by at least 20% just before next winter...:dizzy:

All input welcome..
:cheers:

Generally, bark has less BTUs than the wood, and smaller branches have more bark per wood. However, much can be harvested in small amount of time. I pound stakes almost 2 feet apart (my bar length) in a row about 6 feet long every 16-18 inches. Pile in the branches as high as you want and saw through it like a tall flat log. Badaboom, now you have a pile of sticks easily stacked into you pile.

PS, may need something at the top of the stakes to keep from spreading...a loop of wire for example,

I have no numbers to back it up, but my eyeballs say the more bark, the more ash. Split wood catches fire faster. The smaller the wood, the harder to saw up, but the less splitting. If it is stuff that splits well, I might go with the big stuff. If I am going to have to use the sledge and wedge, I may go for the smaller stuff.

I have no numbers to back it up, but my eyeballs say the more bark, the more ash. Split wood catches fire faster. The smaller the wood, the harder to saw up, but the less splitting. If it is stuff that splits well, I might go with the big stuff. If I am going to have to use the sledge and wedge, I may go for the smaller stuff.

good post. I couldn't have said it better.

Back