Firewood Measurement: Legal definitions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
In trying to clean up the stickies section so it's easy to use and has good information that's not too cluttered, I decided that the "How to measure wood (what is a cord)" sticky has some good info in it, but tons of stuff that should be pruned out of it if it's going to be effective.

I'd like some help from some of you: What I'm looking for is each state's legal definition of what measurements can be used for selling firewood (mostly referring to bulk firewood sales, but if you want to add info on "packaged firewood", that's fine too). Don't let being Canadian or overseas stop you either, this is a worldwide forum. Please include a link to where you found your information (preferably a state agency website).

Ideally, we'll soon have a list of all states' legal definitions, and perhaps I can put it into a chart or something that I can add right at the top for quick reference, with the posts giving all the backup information.

I'll start with the two I'm familiar with in a minute.

Wisconsin: No legal requirement to sell by any particular measurement that I've been able to find, however a cord is legally defined:

"The term "cord", when used in connection with wood intended for fuel purposes, means the amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet when the wood is ranked and well stowed."

From Wisconsin Statute 98.02(2) Link: Wisconsin Legislature: 98.02(2)

Minnesota: This is an odd one, they go against the common 128 ft³ measurement slightly, depending on how the wood is processed. Sale by weight is also allowed:

"In all contracts for sale of wood the term "cord" shall mean 128 cubic feet of wood, bark, and air, if cut in four-foot lengths; and if the sale is of "sawed wood," a cord shall mean 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown irregularly or loosely into a conveyance for delivery to the purchaser; and if the sale is of "sawed and split wood," a cord shall mean 120 cubic feet, when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown irregularly and loosely into a conveyance for delivery. If a measurement is made by weight, the term "cord" or any other term used to describe freshly cut wood shall be based on 79 cubic feet of solid wood content per cord. The weight per cord may vary by species or species group. In case of any dispute when the parties have not otherwise agreed in writing to the weight per cord by species or species group, the weight most recently established by the commissioner of natural resources prevails."

From MN statutes 239.33 Link: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=239.33

More info and some explanations at this site: http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/BuyingFirewood.pdf - in particular this paragraph:

Must I buy my wood in cords?
No. You and the seller may enter into any agreement you choose, but be aware that words like truckload, face cord, rick, fireplace cord, or pile, have no legal definition. The Weights and Measures Division cannot help you in a dispute if the wood is not sold by the cubic foot, the cubic meter, or the cord.

This off the NY dept. of Agriculture site.

"Firewood is generally sold by a measurement called a "cord." A cord is equal 128 cubic feet. For example, a stack four feet wide by four feet high by eight feet long is a cord.

You may also see wood advertised by a "face cord" with the length of the pieces. A 24 inch face cord is 24 inches wide by four feet high by eight feet long.
In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed."

The face cord is a tricky term still that is often confused between a half and a third of a cord, depending on wood length and how it is stacked.

Indiana

Doesn't seem to be any law about it.

Looks like most sell by the rick .

I've seen 4x8 ricks and 3x6 ricks advertised on Craigs List.

Cords aren't mentioned very often.

Indiana

Doesn't seem to be any law about it.

Looks like most sell by the rick .

I've seen 4x8 ricks and 3x6 ricks advertised on Craigs List.

Cords aren't mentioned very often.

It appears there is. Whether or not it's local custom to sell as a cord, what I'm trying to do is get the "official" version. It'll take some deeper digging to find chapter and verse of the law, but here's a description of the IN law from the City of Evansville website:

"DON'T GET BURNED WHEN BUYING FIREWOOD

INDIANAPOLIS - It's easy to get burned when buying firewood, especially when the buyer has received less than they bargained for, according to the Weights and Measures Division of the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH).

Firewood is sold in large amount throughout Indiana until the end of the winter heating season, but many people are buying measurements of firewood that are not defined and less than state requirements. The ISDH's Weights and Measures reminds Hoosiers that firewood must be sold in measurements of "cords" - or 128 cubic feet of firewood.

According to the ISDH, firewood sellers often try to sell their products using terms such as 'truckload," "face cord," "rack," "rick" or "pile." None of these terms, however, is an official measurement of anything meaning the buyer can get burned not ever knowing for sure how much actual firewood they are purchasing for the advertised price.

A "cord" of firewood can be stacked and measured to make sure you're getting what you pay for. For example, a "cord" of firewood when stacked could be a pile that is either:

4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long (4' x 4' x 8' = 128') or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long (2' x 4' x 16' = 128')

There are, of course, other ways to stack the firewood the make sure of its measurement, but its width times its height when stacked should always equal 128 cubic feet for a "cord" of firewood."

Connecticut:
By the cord -- 128 c.f. compactly piled;
Fraction of a cord;
Cubic Volume;
By Weight -- but if by weight and selling more then 25 cords or 65 tons/year you must get each load sold weighed at a public scale AND if selling by weight as "seasoned" it needs to be have been air dried under cover for six months.

Sec. 43-27. Fuel wood: Definitions. Measurers of wood. Sale of fuel wood by cord, volume or weight. Regulations. (a) As used in this section, "fuel wood" means any kindling, logs, boards, timbers, chips or other wood, split or not split, natural or processed, which is advertised, offered for sale or sold as fuel; "commercial dealer" means any person who sells more than twenty-five cords or sixty-five tons of fuel wood in any one year; "seasoned wood" means any fuel wood which is cut and air dried for at least six months or if sold by weight which is cut and air dried under cover for at least six months.

(b) The appointing authority of each town may appoint annually, and more often if necessary, two or more of its inhabitants to be measurers of wood offered for sale within the town, who shall be sworn and shall receive such compensation for their services as the town may prescribe. Any such measurer, on request of the owner of any wood so offered for sale, shall, without delay, measure it and sign and give such owner a certificate of its quantity. All fuel wood shall be sold by the standard cord containing one hundred twenty eight cubic feet of compactly piled wood or fractional part of a cord or on the basis of cubic volume, or by weight according to the provisions of subsection (c) of this section. The terms "face cord", "rack", "pile", "truckload" or terms of similar import shall not be used when advertising, offering for sale, or selling fuel wood.

(c) No commercial dealer may sell fuel wood by weight or load or deliver fuel wood sold by weight in any vehicle for transportation unless such fuel wood is weighed by a licensed public weigher, as defined in section 43-16a, on a stationary scale which has been tested and sealed by an authorized sealer or inspector of weights and measures. Any fuel wood sold by weight shall be accompanied by a delivery ticket in duplicate which shall contain the following information: (1) The gross weight of any vehicle transporting such fuel wood; (2) the net weight of such fuel wood; (3) whether such fuel wood is seasoned or green; (4) the price of such fuel wood by weight; (5) the name and license number of the public weigher; (6) the name and address of the buyer and the seller; and (7) the date of such transaction. The commercial dealer shall give the original of such ticket to the customer and shall retain the duplicate for at least one year, which copy shall be subject to inspection by any sealer or inspector of weights and measures. No such dealer may sell or deliver to any customer less than the amount of fuel wood represented on such delivery ticket. No public weigher may weigh fuel wood loaded on a vehicle for transportation unless he has first weighed the vehicle empty on the same scale in order to determine the true net weight of such fuel wood. Any sealer or inspector of weights and measures may require that any vehicle for transportation of fuel wood be weighed at the nearest public scale to verify the information recorded on any delivery ticket. If fuel wood is sold by weight, no commercial dealer may deliver more than one load of such fuel wood at a time.

firewood my favorite subject behind trains

Connecticut:
By the cord -- 128 c.f. compactly piled;
Fraction of a cord;
Cubic Volume;
By Weight -- but if by weight and selling more then 25 cords or 65 tons/year you must get each load sold weighed at a public scale AND if selling by weight as "seasoned" it needs to be have been air dried under cover for six months.

Selling by green weight is so much simpler and legal in my opinion.:chainsaw::rock:

Selling by green weight is so much simpler and legal in my opinion.:chainsaw::rock:

Hello leon. This thread is not about your opinion, which is wrong in many states. We've had this argument before, and I'll dig up the old thread when I get a chance, as I know I've already done the research on New York for you.

Please, guys and gals - I'm not trying to be mean here, but what I want here is "chapter and verse" law, state documents explaining the law, or similar. If we want to debate how it's done in your neck of the woods, your favorite method, or how many chicken legs are in a pound, we can do it elsewhere.

From New Jersey
Office of Weights and Measures

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office of Weights and Measures
Tips on Buying Firewood in New Jersey

1.New Jersey regulations require that except for packaged firewood and whole logs, sellers of firewood are required to sell firewood by using the term "cord" or fractional parts of a cord. A cord is defined to be the amount of firewood which would fill a space of 128 cubic feet, when the firewood pieces are stacked in a compact manner with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other.

2.It is unlawful for a seller of firewood to advertise or sell firewood by terms such as "face cord," "rack," "pile," "truckload," etc.

3.If the firewood is sold and delivered to your house, the seller of the firewood is required to give you a serialized delivery ticket or sales invoice containing at least the following information:

A. The legal name and address of the seller;

B. The name and address of the buyer of the firewood;

C. The date the firewood was delivered;

D. The quantity of firewood delivered and the quantity upon which the price is based, if this differs from the delivery quantity;

E. The price of the amount of firewood delivered;

F. The identity of the most descriptive terms commercially practicable, including any quality representation made in connection with the sale (for example, seasoned mixed hardwoods); and

G. The serial number of the delivery ticket or invoice.

4.Packaged firewood, which is generally sold in hardware stores and supermarkets and contains less than four (4) cubic feet of firewood, must show the net weight of the firewood and the number of pieces of firewood.

5.To determine if you received the correct amount of firewood, you must stack the firewood pieces at a suitable location so that the pieces are touching and are parallel to each other to form one or more stacks. Then, measure and write down the length, width and height of each of the firewood stacks. By multiplying the length, width and height, you will be able to calculate the total volume of the firewood stacks and compare that to what was represented to you orally or in writing on the delivery ticket or invoice by the firewood seller. If you find that you have been shorted, you can contact the seller to correct the problem. If the seller will not correct the problem, you should call New Jersey Office of Weights and Measures at 732-815-4840. You must not burn any firewood sold and delivered to you in that transaction until the firewood is examined and remeasured by a New Jersey Weights and Measures officer.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/weights/tips.htm

PENNSYLVANIA

Other than permitting for cutting on PA state lands, I never have found the official PA regulations regarding firewood online, so I submitted a couple requests today. One went to the Department of Agriculture and the other went to the Bureau of Ride & Measurement Standards: Weights and Measures Division, which is responsible for regulating firewood, among other things. When I hear back from them, I'll post what they say.

This is a four page pamphlet that has a small section on firewood, but it makes no reference to PA Code or other official laws/regulations and I see no date on it.
http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/...ebsite/Files/Publications/brochure_online.pdf

Last edited:
PENNSYLVANIA

Okay, I haven't heard back yet, but here is what I've found on a Centre County, PA, website:

Title 70 of the Pennsylvania Code

Wood used for fuel shall be sold by the cord of 128 cubic feet (4' x 4' x 8') or fraction thereof and shall be accompanied by a statement or invoice certifying the amount sold and presented to the buyer or his designee at the time of delivery or billing.

Section 2.11 of the Weights & Measures Act of 1965

Cord: When used in connection with wood intended for fuel purposes, the amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet (4' x 4' x 8') when the wood is racked and well stowed.

Firewood may not be advertised or sold by the truck load, the pile, the piece or any other method other than by the cord or fraction there of. There is no such thing as a face cord. An invoice must be given at the time of sale.

I'll try to find direct links for this information on an official Commonwealth of Pennsylvania website.

New Hampshire - Bureau of Weights and Measures

A cord is determined by placing the wood in a line or row, with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other, making sure the wood is
compact and has as few gaps as possible. If after measuring, the width times the height times the length equals
128 cubic feet, you have a cord of firewood. For example, you order three cords of firewood and ask that it be
cut to 16 inches in length. You stack it 6 feet high in your well-ventilated woodshed that measures 12 feet in
length inside. Sixteen inches (1 1/3 feet) times 12 feet times 6 feet equals 96 cubic feet for each row. If you
have four rows you have your three cords. Remember—wood can only be sold by the cord or fraction thereof.
Terms such as “truckload,” “pile,” “rack,” are not legally defined terms and mean nothing.

Illinois

Found on weights and measures page.

When buying firewood
Some people heat their homes with firewood. Firewood is sold by a measurement called a "cord."

A cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have a cord, you can stack and measure the wood. For example, a cord of firewood, when stacked, could be a pile that is 4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long; or 2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long.

You can stack the wood in other ways, too. If the width times the height times the length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet, you have a cord of firewood.

The use of terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile" as the method of sale of firewood is not allowed. Firewood is to be sold by the cord or fractions of a cord (such as "half of a cord" or "quarter of a cord").

Could not find statuate, sorry.

Hello leon. This thread is not about your opinion, which is wrong in many states. We've had this argument before, and I'll dig up the old thread when I get a chance, as I know I've already done the research on New York for you.

Please, guys and gals - I'm not trying to be mean here, but what I want here is "chapter and verse" law, state documents explaining the law, or similar. If we want to debate how it's done in your neck of the woods, your favorite method, or how many chicken legs are in a pound, we can do it elsewhere.

Amen to that!!

May I suggest that when you get it all organized you lock it so no more can be added to it except by the "powers that be" If you don't it will again wind up like the current one.

Harry K

Maryland

MD is cord or fraction of only.

See below from the dept. of natural resouces

Selecting a Firewood Dealer
When selecting a firewood dealer you should take several things into consideration.

Are They Licensed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the dealer is in the firewood business, they shall have a Forest Products Operators License issued by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Forest Service. The Maryland Forest Service can provide you with a list of licensed operators in your area. If you have found a potential dealer, you can easily check if they are properly licensed by calling (410) 260-8531 or by using this link: Find Licensed Forest Product Operators | Forest Service | Maryland Department of Natural Resources, select "firewood" and your county.
Get References!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maryland law states that firewood must be sold by a cord or a fraction of a cord. This is enforced by the Maryland Department of Agriculture's - Weights and Measures section. If you have a concern about the volume of wood you have paid for you should contact them at (410) 841-5790. Note: they only handle matters where the volume of wood is in dispute.

So, what is a cord?

A cord is a measurement of wood that when neatly stacked and rowed equals 128 cubic feet. This stack measures 4 feet tall by 4 feet wide by 8 feet long or its equivalent (which means stack it neatly any way you like as long as it equals 128 cubic feet).

firewood

I am all in favor of making it as numb and dumb and easy to sell
as anyone with any reduction in labor and its easy enough to
do with green wood.

We have one local that sells his green and seasoned loads by
the 2-1/2 to 5 thrown cords/10 wheeler dump truck loads
and will cut for your desired size 14-18 inches in length.
He loads the truck off of his processors outfeed conveyor.

PAGE 22, SECTION 13, part (iv) b wood may be sold by weight if the quantity exceeds 2 cords.

Last edited:
Canada

Measurment in Canada is federally regulated.

Buying Firewood? Don't Get Burned
Buying Firewood? Don't Get Burned (PDF, 305 KB, 1 page)

How Is It Sold?

In Canada, most firewood is sold by the cord. A cord is a legal unit of measurement defined by the Weights and Measures Regulations as "128 cubic feet of stacked roundwood (whole or split, with or without bark) containing wood and airspace with all bolts of similar length piled in a regular manner with their longitudinal axes approximately parallel."

How Is It Measured?

Follow these steps to ensure that you have received the correct quantity:

Stack the wood neatly in a line or row, ensuring that individual pieces are touching and parallel to each other with as few gaps as possible.
Measure the length, width and height of the stack in feet (for example, 4 feet x 8 feet x 4 feet).
Multiply these measurements to calculate the volume in cubic feet.
If your result is equal to 128 cubic feet, you have a cord.

Which Units Of Measurement Are Legal?

Some firewood dealers have been known to use various units of measurement to sell firewood. Some of these units of measurement are legal in Canada and some are not. Beware of terms that are not recognized as legal units of measurement, as they will often mean less than a cord.

Common legal units of measurement used in the sale of firewood:

cord
fractions of a cord
cubic feet
stacked cubic metre
fractions of a stacked cubic metre
Beware of terms that are not recognized as legal units of measurement, as they will often mean less than a cord.

Terms that are not recognized (illegal) for the sale of firewood in Canada include:

apartment cord
furnace cord
rack of wood
short cord
bush cord
pile of wood
tossed cord
single cord
face cord
processed cord
truckload of wood
stove cord
How To Protect Yourself

Adhering to the following precautions when purchasing firewood will help ensure that you get what you pay for.

When ordering firewood:

Ask for it to be delivered stacked in the truck so that you can measure it before it is unloaded.
If this is not possible, immediately following delivery:
stack the firewood;
measure the length, width and height of the stack; and
calculate the quantity that you received.
When receiving the firewood:

Be present at the time of delivery. Do not rely on a neighbour to accept delivery on your behalf.
Ask for a receipt and verify that it indicates:
the quantity and type of firewood purchased;
the seller's name, address and telephone number; and
the price paid.
Write down the licence plate number of the delivery vehicle.
Before using any firewood:

Verify that the quantity received is the same as the quantity paid for. If there is a discrepancy, contact the seller before using any of the firewood.
Do You Think You've Been Shortchanged?

If you received less firewood than you paid for, and after contacting the seller you are not completely satisfied, contact the nearest Measurement Canada office before using any of the firewood. We are listed in the blue pages of your telephone directory.

Summary

A cord is equal to 128 cubic feet of firewood.
Legal units of measurement for firewood are: a cord, fractions of a cord, cubic feet, a stacked cubic metre, and fractions of a stacked cubic metre.
Beware of units of measurement that are not recognized in Canada (illegal). You are likely to receive less firewood for your money.
Verify that the quantity of firewood received is the same as the quantity paid for.
If you have any questions or complaints regarding the quantity of firewood received, contact the nearest Measurement Canada office.
For More Information

For more information, please contact the Measurement Canada office nearest you. We are listed in the blue pages of your telephone directory.

Date modified:2009-05-15

From pa dept of weights and measures

Firewood
Firewood is sold by a measurement called the “cord.” A
cord is 128 cubic feet of firewood. To be sure you have
a cord, stack and measure the wood. For example, a
cord of firewood can be stacked into a pile that is:
4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8 feet long
(4 x 4 x 8 = 128); or
2 feet wide, 4 feet high and 16 feet long
(2 x 4 x 16 = 128).
A cord of wood can be stacked in other arrangements
as long as the width times the height multiplied by the
length (all in feet) equals 128 cubic feet.
Ensure you’re getting what you pay for by:
• Not buying from sellers using terms like
“truckload,” “face cord,” “rack” or “pile.”
• Asking the seller to stack the wood (you may have
to pay extra for this service) or stack the wood
yourself.
• Getting a receipt showing the seller’s name,
address and phone number, the price, and the
amount and kind of wood. Record the license
number of the delivery vehicle.
• Measuring the wood pile before using any wood.
Photograph it if you think it measures less than
a cord.
• Contacting the seller before burning any wood if
you feel there is a problem. If the problem cannot
be resolved, contact your weights and measures
office before burning any wood.

PENNSYLVANIA

Okay, I haven't heard back yet, but here is what I've found on a Centre County, PA, website:

I'll try to find direct links for this information on an official Commonwealth of Pennsylvania website.

That is PA's code and applies to everyone. The counties and/local municipalities have jurisdiction over weights and measures and the state only picks up where the locals cannot. The post I made above was the same as your reference, but it is the state codes for local municipalities. I sold bundles for years, and my county was not regulated by a local and it was deferred to the dept. of Ag. Your post is exactly correct. Technically a local municipality could increase the requirements, but they cannot change them.

Latest posts

Back