Firewood Measurement: Legal definitions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oregon gets a little more sticky than what Turnkey has posted up.

*******************************************************************************************

Oregon:

2.4. fireplace and stove wood
For the purpose of this regulation, this section shall apply to the sale of all wood, natural and processed, for use as fuel.

2.4.1. definitions

2.4.1.1.fireplace and stove wood
Any kindling, logs, boards, timbers, or other wood, natural or processed, split or not split, advertised, offered for sale, or sold for use as fuel.

2.4.1.2. cord
The amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet, when the wood is ranked and well stowed. For the purpose of this regulation,"ranked and well stowed" shall be construed to mean that pieces of wood are placed in a line or row, with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other, and stacked in a compact manner.

2.4.1.3. representation
A "representation" shall be construed to mean any advertisement, offering, invoice, or the like that pertains to the sale of fireplace or stove wood.

2.4.1.4. flavoring chips
Any kindling, log, boards, timbers, or other natural or processed, split or unsplit wood that is advertised, offered for sale, or sold for flavoring smoked or Barbequed foods.

2.4.2. identity A representation may include a declaration of identity that indicates the species group (Example: 50% hickory, 50% miscellaneous softwood). Such a representation shall indicate, within 10 percent accuracy, the percentages of each group.

2.4.3. quantity Fireplace and stovewood shall be advertised, offered for sale, and sold only by measure, using the term "cord" and fractional parts of a cord, or the cubic meter; except that:

(a) packaged natural wood
Natural wood offered for sale in packaged form in quantities less than 0.45 cubic meters (1/8 cord or 16 cubic feet) shall display the quantity in terms of cubic meters, to include decimal fractions of cubic meters; or cubic feet, to include fractions of cubic feet.
(b) artificial compressed or processed logs
A single fireplace log shall be sold by weight, and packages of such individual logs shall be sold by weight plus count.
(c) stove wood pellets or chips
Pellets or chips greater than 15cm (6 inches) in any dimension shall be sold by weight. This requirement does not apply to flavoring chips.
(d) flavoring chips
Flavoring chips shall be sold by volume.

2.4.4. prohibition of terms The terms "face cord", "rack", "pile", "truckload", or terms of similar import shall not be used when advertising, offering for sale, or selling wood for use as fuel.

2.4.5. delivery ticket or sales invoice A delivery ticket or sales invoice shall be presented by the seller to the purchaser whenever any nonpackaged fireplace or stove wood is sold. The delivery ticket or sales invoice shall contain at least the following information:
(a) the name and address of the vendor;
(b) the name and address of the purchaser;
(c) the date delivered;
(d) the quantity delivered and the quantity upon which the price is based, if this differs from the delivered quantity;
(e) the price of the amount delivered;
(f) the identify in the most descriptive terms commercially practicable, including any quality representation made in connection with the sale.

*********************************************************************************
And yes they do enforce this at times.

I carry split wood in my pick up in the winter for extra weight. I have been pulled over for this and they wanted to see my bill of sale/permit. I had to go in front of the judge with pictures of the wood in question and of the wood in my shed. All to prove I hadn't stolen firewood. I have been stopped en route to delivery and visited at the wood lot to see that everything was up and up. Also ticketed for not having one species correctly documented, apparently red and white oak have to be individually written, oak is not a catch-all.

Another note: Fuel wood form outside the PNW, listed as Washington, Idaho, Oregon must be heat treated to 140 degrees for at least one hour to kill parasites and pests. Yup they enforce this one too.

Owl

California:

Cord. The cord is the standard measure for bulk firewood, and shall contain 128 cubic feet of wood, ranked and wellstowed

Other Terms.
The use of the terms “face cord”, “rack”, “rick”, “tier”, “pile” or “truck-load”, or any other term describing

a unit of measure different than those specified in this article shall be prohibited.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/programs/qc/QCFirewoodRegs.pdf

Fortunately, no one here has ever heard of face cords, ricks or any of those other fraudulent units.
Sometimes you do see "pick-up load", usually when you are picking up the wood.

Nebraska - from http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/publications/wam/firewood_facts.pdf

Those standards specific to firewood include:
2.4. Fireplace and Stove Wood. -- For the purpose of this regulation, this section shall apply tothe sale of all wood, natural and processed, for use as fuel or flavoring. (Amended 1999)

2.4.1. Definitions

2.4.1.1. Fireplace and stove wood. -- Any kindling, logs, boards, timbers, or other wood, natural or processed, split or not split, advertised, offered for sale, or sold for use as fuel. (Amended 1991)

2.4.1.2. Cord. -- The amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet when the wood is ranked and well stowed. For the purpose of this regulation, "ranked and well stowed" shall be construed to mean that pieces of wood are placed in a line or row, with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other, and stacked in a compact manner.

2.4.1.3. Representation. -- A "representation" shall be construed to mean any advertisement, offering, invoice, or the like that pertains to the sale of fireplace or stove wood.

2.4.1.4. Flavoring chips. -- Any kindling, logs, boards, timbers, or other natural or processed, split or unsplit wood that is advertised, offered for sale, or sold for flavoring smoked or barbequed foods (Added 1999)

2.4.2. Identity. -- A representation may include a declaration of identity that indicates the species group (Example: 50 percent hickory, 50 percent miscellaneous softwood). Such a representation shall indicate, within 10 percent accuracy, the percentages of each group.

2.4.3. Quantity. -- Fireplace and stovewood shall be advertised, offered for sale, and sold only by measure, using the term "cord" and fractional parts of a cord or the cubic meter, except that:
(a) Packaged natural wood. -- Natural wood offered for sale in packaged form in quantities less than 0.45 m3 (1/8 cord or 16 cu ft) shall display the quantity in terms of cubic meters, to include decimal fractions of cubic meters; or cubic feet, to include fractions of cubic feet.
(b) Artificial compressed or processed logs. -- A single fireplace log shall be sold by weight, and packages of such individual logs shall be sold by weight plus count.
(c) Stove wood pellets or chips. -- Pellets or chips not greater than 15 cm (6 in) in any dimension shall be sold by weight. This requirement does not apply to flavoring chips. (Amended 1976 and 1991)
(d) Flavoring chips. Flavoring chips shall be sold by volume. (Added 1998) 2.4.4. Prohibition of Terms. -- The terms "face cord," "rack," "pile," "truckload," or terms of similar import shall not be used when advertising, offering for sale, or selling wood for use as fuel.

2.4.5. Delivery ticket or sales invoice. -- A delivery ticket or sales invoice shall be presented by the seller to the purchaser whenever any nonpackaged fireplace or stove wood is sold. The delivery ticket or sales invoice shall contain at least the following information:
(a) the name and address of the vendor;
(b) the name and address of the purchaser;
(c) the date delivered;
(d) the quantity delivered and the quantity upon which the price is based, if this differs from the delivered quantity;
(e) the price of the amount delivered; and
(f) the identity in the most descriptive terms commercially practicable, including any quality representation made in connection with the sale. (Added 1975)

Last edited:
Ancient necro I know, but even 11 years later this is still the one of the top resources on the topic when googled.
I continued looking into the topic and here is what I've found:
GGkWsCa.png

Most of the ones that allow cubic meter are because they just reference the national method of sales standards.
ND and MN are bizarre as previously noted.
VA is really poorly written so it may very well mean something other than what I have concluded.
LA I can't find anything at all. The NIST says LA has no method of sales standard so it might be true
NC specifically says you don't need to use a cord despite adopting the standard.
MS and ID I can only find rules defining a cord

Source link https://bit.ly/FuelWoodRegs
or

Here in Central MN I can’t think of a listing I’ve seen that hasn’t listed Face Cord or Cord in a sale add from a reputable firewood sales place. Lots of people post a picture of a pile of wood with a price for the pile but rarely is there a cubic foot measurement given. Go measure it yourself or move on I guess.

Here in Central MN I can’t think of a listing I’ve seen that hasn’t listed Face Cord or Cord in a sale add from a reputable firewood sales place. Lots of people post a picture of a pile of wood with a price for the pile but rarely is there a cubic foot measurement given. Go measure it yourself or move on I guess.
MN has a very odd cord measurement system but afaik there is no requirement to actually use it during transactions
Massachusetts

MA doesn’t even legally recognize the term “ cord” as a unit of measure, but requires firewood sellers to work in 128 cubic foot lots when advertising.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/firewood-sales
It can be sold in any cuft or cubic meter increment but yes the term cord not a legal measurement in MA and RI. Here is what the relevant portion for MA says but RI is similar:
"The term ''firewood'' shall be construed to mean and include wood cut to any lengths of less than four feet and more than eight inches. Cordwood and firewood shall be advertised, offered for sale and sold only in terms of cubic feet or cubic meters which will be construed as indicating the closely stacked cubic foot or cubic meter content to be delivered to the purchaser. The terms ''cord'', ''face cord'', ''pile'', ''truckload'' or terms of similar import shall not be used in the advertising and sale of cordwood or firewood."
You can find it all linked off the spreadsheet.

MN has a very odd cord measurement system but afaik there is no requirement to actually use it during transactions.
I don’t think the wood police will be knocking on your door but it seems to be called out that the specs listed are to be used in all contracts for sale of wood.

To me that means that’s how you’re supposed to list it if you want to plan by the rules, or requirements. No idea why the measurements are different other than something to do with trying to find the cubic size of a fixed weight of product when processed in different ways. No one adheres to the goofy things laid out below and everyone uses face cord or cord and figures it’ll be 16”x4’x8’ for a face cord and 4’x4’x8’ for a cord.

Linked to right from the spreadsheet….
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/239.33

239.33 STANDARD MEASUREMENTS OF WOOD.​

In all contracts for sale of wood the term "cord" shall mean 128 cubic feet of wood, bark, and air, if cut in four-foot lengths; and if the sale is of "sawed wood," a cord shall mean 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown irregularly or loosely into a conveyance for delivery to the purchaser; and if the sale is of "sawed and split wood," a cord shall mean 120 cubic feet, when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown irregularly and loosely into a conveyance for delivery. If a measurement is made by weight, the term "cord" or any other term used to describe freshly cut wood shall be based on 79 cubic feet of solid wood content per cord. The weight per cord may vary by species or species group. In case of any dispute when the parties have not otherwise agreed in writing to the weight per cord by species or species group, the weight most recently established by the commissioner of natural resources prevails.

I read it as if you are doing this type of transation and you use the term cord then it means these things but is missing the sales shall be done by cord portion to force the use. If you check the other states that require you to use a unit the unit and the requirement to use the unit are called out specifically and separately.
NIST has it this way for example " Fireplace and stove wood shall be advertised, offered for sale, and sold only by measure, using the term “cord” and fractional parts of a cord or the cubic meter, "
As another example PA is a little more simple but still mentions that cord shall be unit used "Wood used for fuel shall be sold by the cord of 128 cubic feet" it does a more formal definition elsewhere.
I'm no judge though.

Latest posts

Back