Firewood Processor Hydraulic Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Dog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi:
I wrote earlier that I'm building a firewood processor. I'm now making the hydraulic chainsaw.
Did some research and came up with the following:
Danfoss M077YC Hydraulic Motor running at 12gpm, 2500 psi, 3000 rpm.
Dansk 12 pin drive sprocket with taper lock bushing
Oregon Harvester Bar PART #653HSFL104 16H purchased off Ebay
Check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/OREGON-HARVESTE...ryZ20538QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
It uses a 404 chain. I've seen one of these in action with this exact setup. All I can say is "WOW" I can't wait to get mine going.
My only problem is trying to figure out the exact length of chain I need.
Anyone know how to calculate the length? The Oregon site directs you to Forester manufacturers.
I've been trying to find a phone number to call the directly with no luck.

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
I'm kinda working on a simular project. How are you planning on oiling your chain? As for the chain length question, here is how I'd do it. First I'd measure the ammount of travel on several simular length bar chainsaws. Then I'd measure the length of chain that they use. They aready calculated the lenth of adjustment you need to allow for chain stretch and to let you get the new chain on. Then I'd take the measurement that you need to a saw shop and let them cut it for you. If it helps chain pitch is the measurement of the length of a link, c2c on the pins.

hydraulic motor info

what info can I get pertaining to a hydraulic chainsaw I want to add to my firewood processor. What does the companies that build these use?
gpm?
rpm?
hp?
any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

go circular and put more wood in the pile...... 100 cords to 1st sharpening
CHAIN VS CIRCULAR....well that's a no brainer :bowdown:
i got about 275 cords on this one so far
NIGHT007.jpg

its more expensive...but worth every penny

Hydraulic Saw Motor

The saw motor that I found is a Danfoss/Webster M077YC motor. It uses 12GPM and requires at least 14 hp if I'm right.

Yeah I agree the circular saw would be much better but have you priced one of those units. Right now I have about 350 invested in building my hydraulic saw. The only thing I have left to figure out is the oiler for the chain.

Rick

Working on a simular poject myself and some of the things I've found are as follows, chain oiler is either gravity with a petcock or else a small electric fuel pump that activates with a switch when the saw is running and as far a hydraulic motor is concerned what I've found is 2500 psi, 25 gallons per minute and 5000-7000 rpm on the chain speed, what brand of processor runs the chain at 3000 rpm???? Most saws run 9000rpm plus and 3000 seems slow, I've looked at all the comercial units and most pull the name tags off the hydraulics componets so you can't just go and order the componets yourself, I've currently got a hydraulic guru working on the problem with me and was wondering what everyone else came up with. Thanks

Working on a simular poject myself and some of the things I've found are as follows, chain oiler is either gravity with a petcock or else a small electric fuel pump that activates with a switch when the saw is running and as far a hydraulic motor is concerned what I've found is 2500 psi, 25 gallons per minute and 5000-7000 rpm on the chain speed, what brand of processor runs the chain at 3000 rpm???? Most saws run 9000rpm plus and 3000 seems slow, I've looked at all the comercial units and most pull the name tags off the hydraulics componets so you can't just go and order the componets yourself, I've currently got a hydraulic guru working on the problem with me and was wondering what everyone else came up with. Thanks

I'm not the sharpest razor in the box when it come's to hydraulic's. But the way I understand it, the higher rpm motor's will have less torque than the lower rpm motor's. Chain speed can be manipulated with sprocket size. I haven't looked at building a hydraulic saw, so you would have to determine how much torque vs chain speed you'd need. But I can see possibilities with either motor. The answer (I think) is in the gearing.

Andy

2.5 gallons is a LOT closer then 25 gallons per minute.

foir sure goal is lots and lots of rpms', with the largest wheel you can figure, with a suitable bar.

i'm still working on it also, but i'm startig to think chains go away faster then a thank of gas on a hard mounted chain saw.

Try to find out what the manufacturer's use on their machines for motor, chainspeed, etc. Even check the tree harvestors, cut to length, etc. They've already figured all this stuff out. Hydraulics cost enough the first time, you don't want to buy it all over 'cause you got the wrong set-up.

How did your hydro saw turn out. i am thinking of building one. not to much outthere on sprockets for hydro motors. any help would be great

thanx Chris

processor?

I have been thinkin' about using a band saw blade somehow!
Electric motor,couple of wheelbarrow/small car tires on each end. (electric cause a 4 stroke would die moving the oil about).
( Log frame) out of used well pipe,all you need are fittings.(well pump guys will give you them free the ends are already tapped for fittings).
220v generator to run it.( the harbor freight gennies are cheap),I have a honda clone 11hp on a homemade splitter 900 hours plus.$269.:)
they don't seem to have the (china)wee fuu motors any more.
Less of a man killer blade!
YES it may be slower,But fairly in expenisive to make.
OR how about a veritcle instead of horizontal grapple and a alaskan mill?
(As i keep thinkin)'

Mark
Any saw that runs is a GOOD SAW!
I prefer the Electrolux brands,Husky XP,Jreds,old Poulans.
Sthil dealers think they are GOD!

Firewood processor

I'm looking for my first firewood processor.
Maybe do 100 cords/ year.

Any suggestions as to make or manufacturer?

Thanks,
Phased1

attachment.php

I don't get it. The only reason I can see for using half a saw case is to have the oiler functional but his oiler hose is clearly hanging in the air. If you're not going to use the oiler then why not just put the chain sprocket right on the hydraulic motor shaft and add a piece of angle iron with 2 holes in it to bolt the saw bar onto.

Firewood processor

I'm looking for my first firewood processor.
Maybe do 100 cords/ year.

Any suggestions as to make or manufacturer?

Thanks,
Phased1

I do about 200-250 per year with a saw and splitter. I am considering these two manufacturers for next season. Space is an issue for me so the more compact the better...

www.dyna-products.com
www.blackscreek.ca

Cheers

Back