Chain for firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy named blackfootgriz on another forum tried the .58 cuin motor and ended up going to the .77cuin one, He also upped the pressure to I believe 2500 and oil flow to 18gpm. He was using .404 chain, There is another guy on that same forum, cant remember his name, that also ended up switching from the smaller motor to the larger one. He had some nice Utube videos at one time and you could see how the saw performed. Its been a few years ago since I followed their threads, but the motor swap wasnt because the saws wouldnt cut, it was because the cut was to slow. I think a lot will depend on what one expects from performance. If one is just processing for their own personal use, then a slow cutting saw might be fine, but if one is trying to get real production, then a faster saw might make more sense.
Copy and pasted post by blackfoot griz.
I could use and would appreciate some feedback/suggestions. On the processor I built, I am running a 38 hp kohler with 3 pumps. One is a two section Parker, each @ 15 gpm @ 1500 psi and the 3rd pump is a 2-stage haldex for the splitting function.

Everything works well...except the Parker .70 cu inch MG motor I tried for the saw function. It has the rpm but not the torque.

I have 15gpm & 1500 psi to try to run the saw function. Can anybody give me suggestions for a saw motor that will work? It is a .404 chain. I can get the saw section of the Parker pump rebuilt to increase it to either 2000 psi @ 15 gpm or 20gpm @ 1500 psi and still keep the works within the HP/torque available from the Kohler engine.

Realistically I cannot upgrade the gas engine. I have to make it work with 14hp (thats available for the cut). The 0.404 is decided also as the 15T sprocket.
So, the question is whether I will buy the 0.58, or a bigger lets say the 0.75
The 0.58 will run at 4780rpm with 166in.lbs
The 0.75 will run at 3700rpm with 215in.lbs
Which one will get the job done? :) This is what matters right now!!

The processor project is there to just make my life easier. I own 65 acres and I want to follow my forest management plan and thin about 50cords per year. I cannot do that manually! I have the tractor with a grapple, so it can be a nice side money. Right now my logistics show that I need about 8 hours per cord from standing trees to be delivered to the customer. If I can make a cord in 5hours with the processor its going to be a success! I cannot justify the expense for a larger motor.
Maybe on a later project, I can use a auto-engine, with 50+hp at 3000rpm I can even use a 3/4" pitch chain or even a circular saw!! But now for know. I just need something to save my back and to avoid to manually handle the wood again and again. Its not my main business.

Latest posts

Back