firewood processor vr's power split international

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not sure if to many of you guys know about power split international it's basically two wood splitters with a conveyor in the center , but who knows maybe one of you guys own one .
I'm looking to buy a firewood processor which I'm very interested in but I've seen this power split international machine @ www.powersplit.com the one with two splitters and conveyor , I'm not sure if these guys are in business or not I cant seem to get a hold of them.
I'm wondering what machine to go with , the processor is made by hakmet it can be seen @ www.hakmet.com under Palax Firewood Processors model 100s
and costs $49,000, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Powersplit may have been bought by Timber Devil.

http://www.timberdevil.com

you beat me to it, lol expect a delay on them getting to you, when my dual splitter dropped a rod in the motor I was going to just buy a new unit instead of tracking down a wisconsin v-4 and I wanted the dual station unit but I called 4-5 times and then said to hell with it and started building one copied off of their design, they want $28k for what I I am building for $2k

I'd spend the dough on a real processor. That powersplit thing is just a steroid driven splitter. A true processor will cut the log to length and then split it.

I could be wrong but firewood processors look like they make alot of kindling if they are not fed the right diameter of logs. Is the center height of the 4 or 6-way wedges automatically adjusted for the different diameter of blocks?

I can see where the processors would be faster ( old saying Haste makes waste ).

I have used a powersplit style machine and found it very easy to control the quality of the splits and to reduce scrap.

Barnie

I'm not sure if to many of you guys know about power split international it's basically two wood splitters with a conveyor in the center , but who knows maybe one of you guys own one .
I'm looking to buy a firewood processor which I'm very interested in but I've seen this power split international machine @ www.powersplit.com the one with two splitters and conveyor , I'm not sure if these guys are in business or not I cant seem to get a hold of them.
I'm wondering what machine to go with , the processor is made by hakmet it can be seen @ www.hakmet.com under Palax Firewood Processors model 100s
I spoke with a fella at powersplit amonth or so ago about a splitter I would just sent them a email with your phone number might take them week or so to get back to you but they will.

I could be wrong but firewood processors look like they make alot of kindling if they are not fed the right diameter of logs. Is the center height of the 4 or 6-way wedges automatically adjusted for the different diameter of blocks?

I can see where the processors would be faster ( old saying Haste makes waste ).

I have used a powersplit style machine and found it very easy to control the quality of the splits and to reduce scrap.

The wedges on processors (good ones at least) are hydraulically adjustable from the operators station. Waste is relative when you have a 4 second cycle time.

Last edited:
i run my processor over a 2 way blade for the most part, the 4 way blade does make a lot of wastage like you say

Power Split International

Barnie;

Here is the link to Power Split International. http://www.powersplit.com/
They are located near Mt. Tremblant now. Contact Pierre Marian 819-425-7571
I am interested in the double splitter as well and saving my money so I can buy one. He indicated when I talked to him that the double was in $15,000.00 range. The web site has plenty of videos. Let me know how you make out. I have never seen one but it sure would be the machine for me.
Thanks,
Andrew

An important point in this discussion is the source of the wood.

Firewood processors work best with long sections of trees of smaller diameter than most tree companies generate.

Tree companies for the most part generate short pieces of larger diameter wood, most already bucked to firewood length just to get them out of the yard and into the truck.

Is the source of the wood from tree company removals, or is the source from logging with heavy equipment?

most of the wood I'm going to be supplied with is slasher waste at least half of it anyway and the other half which is about 1500 cubic meters will be delivered whole length , all being mainly three species of wood [ maple, white and yellow Birch], this is why I'm interested in both machines.

Barnie;

Here is the link to Power Split International. http://www.powersplit.com/
They are located near Mt. Tremblant now. Contact Pierre Marian 819-425-7571
I am interested in the double splitter as well and saving my money so I can buy one. He indicated when I talked to him that the double was in $15,000.00 range. The web site has plenty of videos. Let me know how you make out. I have never seen one but it sure would be the machine for me.
Thanks,
Andrew

well according to the information I got the 2 station splitter is in the $25k range with the conveyor in the middle

well according to the information I got the 2 station splitter is in the $25k range with the conveyor in the middle

I called timber devil today and got a quote its $15,400 for the machine , the only options are lifting tables , roof and a bigger engine [20hp Honda] comes standard with 18 hp Honda single cylinder, the conveyor is 25' long additional conveyor is $100 per foot.

another question I have is about the chainsaw blade or the slasher blade which is better on a processor ,I know the slasher blade is hydraulically operated but the chainsaw blades is hand operated so to me the chains saw blade would be faster but will I be sharpening all the time vr's the slasher blade's carbide tipped blade

i was sceptical about getting a chainsaw rather than a circular saw but im glad i did. first off its far safer in my opinion. secondly its way quieter to use than a circular saw. providing i dont hit anything i'll quite often cut for a couple of days before sharpening. its not like using a chainsaw.....with a tractor chucking that chain round you wont notice if you just lose the edge like you will running a saw.
and of course the other benefit is the chainsaw is easier to sharpen yourself and as quick to change as a regular chainsaw. i carry 4 chains so if i do hit anything at anytime i can whip the chain off and stick a new one on....downtime of 5 minutes! then when they're all blunt i'll sharpen them one evening in the shop.
also, ive found if you take the depth guages right down you can cut wood near on as quickly as a circular saw....dependant on wood species of course....if you're cutting dead elm you need to be a bit more sensible but generally speaking you can run the saw through the wood almost as quick as you can operate the lever.

i was sceptical about getting a chainsaw rather than a circular saw but im glad i did. first off its far safer in my opinion. secondly its way quieter to use than a circular saw. providing i dont hit anything i'll quite often cut for a couple of days before sharpening. its not like using a chainsaw.....with a tractor chucking that chain round you wont notice if you just lose the edge like you will running a saw.
and of course the other benefit is the chainsaw is easier to sharpen yourself and as quick to change as a regular chainsaw. i carry 4 chains so if i do hit anything at anytime i can whip the chain off and stick a new one on....downtime of 5 minutes! then when they're all blunt i'll sharpen them one evening in the shop.
also, ive found if you take the depth guages right down you can cut wood near on as quickly as a circular saw....dependant on wood species of course....if you're cutting dead elm you need to be a bit more sensible but generally speaking you can run the saw through the wood almost as quick as you can operate the lever.

what's unsafe about a circular blade ?? how many cords do you cut per day on average with your machine??

Back