Firewood Processors, Mostlly Overpriced BS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Biggest problem I see is you can't easily process normal "big" trees. You have the main trunk, maybethree to five feet diameter, then oodles of heavy branches, etc. Ton of waste if you can't process the branches, and only cutting little trees is a waste, they are just starting to put heavy growth on, so why cut them then? Most of these processors the wood has to be straight, perfect or near, not too large diameter, etc.

I am almost thinking it might be better long term to have a machine that can process the whole tree and make pellets or processed bricks/logs. Then everything can be automated once the tree is on the ground and the final product palletized.
I usually get my logs off a truck, so I dont see the brush or small limbs. Another big waste of wood is all the sawdust from the saw. I have done a little (just read about it mostly) research into making pellets. Chips need to be dry and something added to make the pellets stick together. Pellets are made using a balling machine and logs are made using a press. I Think a press could be ran off the processor hydraulics easy enough and might be something I consider adding in the distant future. Since the wood needs to be a certain level of M/C, unless one wanted to take a dryer into the woods, I cant really see it being feasible to make pellets in the woods where the trees are being harvested.

Currently, the bigger logging outfits around here are chipping all the brush and selling it for biomass. The biomass is then shipped to power plants where it is mixed with coal to produce electricity. Not much brush is being left in the woods anymore.

I usually get my logs off a truck, so I dont see the brush or small limbs. Another big waste of wood is all the sawdust from the saw. I have done a little (just read about it mostly) research into making pellets. Chips need to be dry and something added to make the pellets stick together. Pellets are made using a balling machine and logs are made using a press. I Think a press could be ran off the processor hydraulics easy enough and might be something I consider adding in the distant future. Since the wood needs to be a certain level of M/C, unless one wanted to take a dryer into the woods, I cant really see it being feasible to make pellets in the woods where the trees are being harvested.

Currently, the bigger logging outfits around here are chipping all the brush and selling it for biomass. The biomass is then shipped to power plants where it is mixed with coal to produce electricity. Not much brush is being left in the woods anymore.

The sawdust is OK mulch around like strawberries and such.

No, making pellets in the woods wouldn't work, need a real setup someplace.

I like looken at the youtube clips myself. Some are downright clever, Some people should better know their limitations. A guy sure can pick up a lot of tips both pro and con by simply watching. Something to remember is the home built jobs are are built for differing reasons. A person that is supplying 2 OWBs like me cant keep up with a saw and splitter and sure as heck cant justify a 60-80 K chrome plated processor. Built mine from junk and have run it for three years now doing nothing more than adding bar oil and fuel and sharpening chains to process about 20 CPY. A commercial processor guy would laugh at it but I could give a rats rear what the pro forewood guys or window shoppers think of it's looks or speed. It runs all my needs in 4-5 days of operation per year, I then pet it a couple times and back it in the shed til next time,,,

Latest posts

Back