Help With Firewood Processor Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone...

I am asking for your help with my decision between wood processors. I am looking at an entry level machine and, YES, price is a large factor in my purchase. I am, and wish to remain, a small producer selling approximately 50-60 cords per year. Right now I produce 30 cords per year from logging poles with my fleet of saws and my Super Splitter. I enjoy this activity buy my back, left knee, and Firewood Shoulder does not. My purchase is not as much a business decision regarding profitability as it is efficiency and lessening the wear and tear on my body. It would be AWESOME to be able to knock out an entire load of logs in a day or weekend!

My process
1. I take a logging truck of 20' poles every 6-8 weeks. The logs are mostly < 13" diameter, straight, no crotches etc.
2. I stack all my split logs...I do not leave in a pile
3. Any log that gets sent thru a 4 way wedge will also be cleaned up by my Super Splitter. I deliver to restaurants and they like smaller splits
4. Speed is not my #1 priority but would like to have a logging truck load processed in a weekend.
5. While anything is possible...never say never..., I DO NOT project massive growth of my enterprise over the 50-60 cords per year I want to produce with this new purchased processor.

I have narrowed my search down between two machines. The Wood Beaver Lil 13 and the Dyna SC12 and am struggling making the decision. Both choices have manual saws and clamps. Both have log lifts which is REQUIRED for my purchase. The differences I will list below...

Wood Beaver 13. Has a "shuttle deck" in-feed adjustable 4 way wedge, 8 foot conveyor. =< 13" log. The price is $10,500 + tax and + approximately $1000 in shipping to my house. It advertises an 8 foot log max but I have a feeling a 12' would possible go thru it. B & C are 18" .050

Dyna SC12. Has a chain driven in-feed. Fixed four way wedge, no conveyor ($3000 option) The price is $13,500, TAX free, and I would be able to pick up myself (4 hours from home).

The price of the Wood Beaver 13 is very appealing to me but I am not sure if I would grow tired of the shuttle deck. Also I may want a longer tray to accept a longer log. The Dyna has a more desirable in-feed but is $3000 more and DOES NOT have the out feed conveyor...$3000 added option....firewood shoulder notwithstanding.

I appreciate your insight and any experiences you have with purchasing this type of machine...if I would regret purchasing "too small" or "too expensive."

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WCA

Of the 2 I would go with the Dyna. Looks to be better built to me but I have looked into them before whereas I skipped over the Lil Beaver pretty quickly. There are tons of choices out there but I think that with processors you are best to go with the tried and proven instead of the new and up coming. You will pay more money but I think that money is well spent on proven testing. I've always been going to build my own but just can't seem to make up my mind which way I want to build it. I built a 36" splitter with hydraulic adjustable 4 way and it's fast enough for me. I use a grain elevator for a conveyor but just bought 2 commercial wood conveyors to make use of some day. I intend to build a rounds table and load the rounds with my tractor loader instead of a processor set up.

Suggest you take a look at the blacks creek processors too. I've looked at almost all processors in this range and it seems like it strikes a good balance.
I don't like the lil beaver shuttle table myself. Watch the videos and see just how often the log needs to be helped along. Too often for me. But the log lift mechanism was neat.

I enjoy this activity buy my back, left knee, and Firewood Shoulder does not. My purchase is not as much a business decision regarding profitability as it is efficiency and lessening the wear and tear on my body.
Dyna may give you the option of renting or leasing a machine to see if it works for you. They also sell refurbished units on their web site.

Suggest you take a look at the blacks creek processors too. I've looked at almost all processors in this range and it seems like it strikes a good balance.
I don't like the lil beaver shuttle table myself. Watch the videos and see just how often the log needs to be helped along. Too often for me. But the log lift mechanism was neat.

I looked at Blacks Creek. They look pretty functional but their base prices is high $12,425 and you have to pay extra for the log lift ($1400). Compared to the Wood Beaver and the Dyna, for the money, it has a "garden cart" look to it.

I like to watch the videos and watch the operators. I look to see how comfortable the operator looks, how much wasted effort there is, and how much wrestling of logs they have to do.
Of course - some of the videos are made with 8" birch logs - so I look at the wood being used as well. I've stood at the forestry shows and watched in person for several different processors looking at the work flow as well.

I have no equipment to load logs - so anything I make / buy needs to be able to pick up a log from the "ground". The L'il beaver log lift design is neat and the hook onto the shuttle is a cool idea - but when the log is up, it needs to be shoved off the lift onto the bed. The Dyna and Black's Creek designs will drop the log into the bed. It might be the Dyna or it might be another make where the "lift rails" can be set on an angle (like in the Dyna video) as a lift or horizontal as a live bed if a loader is available. I like flexibility.

The shuttle deck makes it impossible to start the next cut while the splitter is still retracting - another strike against the L'il beaver. However, i think a hard length stop is important so the L'il beaver beats the Dyna there.

Length of log and maximum size is important - make sure it matches what you need. None of the models mentioned will take a 20 log.

Integrated versus separate conveyor. Some (most) of the integrated conveyors are fixed - meaning that the pile location is determined by the processor location. A separate conveyor allows for some angling and therefore more flexibility in the drop spot. Also a separate conveyor can be used for relocating or loading splits at a later time.

You mention in the original post that you will be resplitting after processing. IMO - you'd be further ahead to buy a 6 way and upsize the cylinder - maybe slow down the overall cycle time a bit but it would be better than handling them yet again.

As Sandhill says - think through your flow from logs to finished product - and minimize handling at every step along the way.

How does your work flow from logs to stacked splits, and how would a processor change the way you work?

I have a logging truck stack the logs in my yard. The logger lays the logs across four runners to keep the main pile off the ground. I mark and cut 16" rounds and stack behind me when I get enough rounds cut. I alternate cutting and stacking to save my back and rotate my task. I know stacking rounds takes extra time but I do like to remain organized, it keeps my work area free from trip hazards, and it allows me to work different muscles with my labor...too much time on the trigger...you know.

My process revolves around maximizing my Super Splitter. I find placing my rounds from a neat stack onto the SS more efficient and faster than pulling rounds from an unmanaged pile to split. I split directly into my trailer, pulled by my quad, and my splits find their final destination somewhere in my yard for stacking in face cords. While splitting I do separate my oak splits from all other hardwoods due to the longer time to season.

All my wood for sale is stacked, off the ground, in face cords. I don't leave large piles. I enjoy stacking...it's what I do. A typical logging truck (6 cords est.) takes me about 20-25 hours to cut and split. Stacking, obviously, adds more time. I do this a few hours each day never more than 4 hours at a time.

Where I see a processor improving this process is speed where I estimate I can have all wood cut and split in a weekend. I would also expect there to be a major reduction in physical labor on my shoulder.

Given my logs come from the logger in around 20' lengths I would develop a way to efficiently size the logs as they sit to minimize off-cuts on the 2, possible 3 logs cut for processing from the original log. I think this is where the smaller, more maneuverable processor would be more desirable to position by the pile of logs to process.

I understand why you stack rounds. A little more effort up front but very nice when splitting. I built a trailer to stage about a half cord of rounds on for two reasons. At first I was moving the rounds to the splitter. It was a bit top heavy but worked okay. Second, it is easier on the back when splitting if the rounds are already 24"-28" off the ground. I have a long, lean back, and my knees though good, are getting older.
Myself, I bought support equipment for a processor first, and at some future time would like a small, but full hydraulic, processor.
In hindsite, buying a processor first may have been better.
The rub is how do you load it, and how do you get rid of the splits. (Split into a truck or trailer and sell green is one way).
Log size can also be an issue with a small processor.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to move logs to a self loading processor without equipment. I used to cut on saw horses which I loaded by lifting one end at a time. This worked okay for a while but there were a few I should not have lifted. This pushed me in the direction of support equipment before a processor. The self loading processors bridge a money gap between splitter and live log deck but seem like a great deal of time and effort, and perhaps a step worth skipping.
I bought a forklift to save my back, and also because I wanted to lift 3/4 cord racks.
(I do things different now and a skid steer would be a better fit.)
I then bought the Posch to palletize, to eliminate the time and effort of stacking, and improve seasoning.
A processor could pile up firewood but in my case it would get moldy if left in a huge pile, for lack of sun and wind.
I chose the Posch as the next labor saving step, over a processor.

I am using a SuperSplit. I can do one cord a day, or about four hours worth. I have done one and three fourths cord in an eight hour day but was quite sore for doing it. I think a manual processor would be similar, hard on ones body.

Some things you could try:
Cut up one log, split one log, let the splitter run; and cut up another log, split, let the splitter run; and cut up another.
Skip the staging stacked rounds.
Use a pulp hook to load the splitter.
Split into your trailer as you already are. ($0.00) Pulp hook ($40.00)
It eliminates handling the rounds one time. Green Oak weighs 5,800 lbs per cord. What's not to try? That 7hp Subaru sips gas while waiting for you. Ethanol free is $3.50/gal. A gallon of gas vs 5,800 lbs. of back work.

Add an axle to your SuperSplit to move it more easily. ($400.00) It is a bolt on mod.
With the added axle you could add a 160cc Honda, small hydraulic pump, valve and log lift for not a huge amount of money. ($700.00)
Add the plastic, UHMW, to your SS table for easier re-splitting. It makes a difference. ($150.00)
Buy a small multipurpose tractor for lifting logs, plowing snow, etc.
1103101018b.jpg1103101021.jpg1103101020b.jpg

Additional old photos:
Moving and stacking splits onto one third cord racks.
I made one hundred of these racks, and later, forty larger, three fourths cord racks. I have about ten small racks left that I use. Gave away some smaller ones, sold a few, and most, the feet rotted, and I stripped them, and cut them up to fit in the 90 gallon dumpster. The larger ones are all gone as well. Some sold, most given away. I don't like clutter. I had stacked sixty cord and the cost of building more racks had doubled.
Over a period of years I had bought first a used conveyor. I found it by chance on Craig'sList and grabbed it. Later, a three wheeled fork lift for handling logs (and delivering but that hasn't happened yet), and later still, an older 5500 flatbed for deliveries, and SuperSplit for splitting.
A processors was really beyond my reach, and didn't help with stacking/handling, and didn't address larger logs either.
I bought a TW-6. The larger logs were really nice but where I was getting them jacked his price. Sold the TW-6 after two and a half years, and put the money in a pickup. But the TW did educate me on wedge design and re-splitting for when I do get a processor.
Much of my process has been very manual, and thus very limiting. The Posch replaced racks with pallets, reduced manual stacking of splits (I still unload deliveries by hand). It does take more room for seasoning at 1/4 cord per pallet, but I no longer need as large a machine to move them. A skid steer should work. The Posch has been very nice.
A processor will be the last piece of the puzzle (as finances allow), as the real work for me has been handling logs and handling/seasoning splits. The SuperSplit and log decks have worked well for cutting/splitting.
I have been trying to limit the manual steps that take the most time, or are hardest on the body.
I don't know, but I don't think my body would like a manual saw on a processor. I could be way wrong. At best, I would certainly rent one before purchasing. Sixty cord is a lot of shoulder action. And I've learned for myself with the TW-6, that I would not buy a machine without an adjustable height wedge.
0901111236.jpg 0901111237.jpg 0623121641.jpg

Given that you are receiving your logs in 20' lengths, you might want to look at the Wallenstein and Hud-son processors that use a winch to load the logs. We looked at them and for shorter logs, the continual pulling out of the winch cable and hooking up of the next log counteracted the advantages of a processor- but with longer logs they would be more functional.

I still think with your smaller splits - the biggest time saving for you would be to improve the splitting process so you are not handling and rehandling the wood. A box wedge splitter (Automated Biomass, Eastonmade, Champion) might be the answer for you.
The ABS with the auto-return would fit the bill.

If you're pleased with the supersplit - then maybe all you need is a convenient way to buck up a log and stage the rounds. A winch style "processor" frame that positions and advances the log for bucking, with a sloped outfeed ramp, rollers or conveyor that holds 20 or so blocks. Hook up a log and winch it into place, cut the 20 or so blocks and have them drop onto the rollers / conveyor. Once the conveyor is full, walk to the other end and split them into your desired size directly into the trailer and stack per usual.

I then bought the Posch to palletize, to eliminate the time and effort of stacking, and improve seasoning.
A processor could pile up firewood but in my case it would get moldy if left in a huge pile, for lack of sun and wind.
I chose the Posch as the next labor saving step, over a processor.

Can you explain the Posch? I am not sure what this is. Curious if you can post pics. Thanks for the reply... This certainly helped me with this matter.

You can find it on-line.
Posch is a German company.
PackFix is the piece of equipment (made in Austria) that handles billets, or firewood splits.
It requires using pallets, and their (Posch) rolls of netting.
There are several 'bases' to choose from. This is the turntable, or hydro base.
Northeast Implement of Spencer, New York is the USA importer.
IMG_4962.jpg IMG_5117.jpg IMG_3618.jpg IMG_3620.jpg IMG_3624.jpg IMG_3628.jpg IMG_4794.jpg IMG_5463.jpg

CDR Metalworks has a new RPS (rapid positioning system) for splits that do not drop and rest properly in the splitting chamber. Great idea. Check it out on their web site.
They have also come out with a 20' long live deck on their newest machine. That makes huge sense, to not have to reload the deck as often as some of the much shorter live decks that just hold a couple logs at a time. These are bad boy big money machines but it is interesting to see the advancements.

Hi Everyone...

I am asking for your help with my decision between wood processors. I am looking at an entry level machine and, YES, price is a large factor in my purchase. I am, and wish to remain, a small producer selling approximately 50-60 cords per year. Right now I produce 30 cords per year from logging poles with my fleet of saws and my Super Splitter. I enjoy this activity buy my back, left knee, and Firewood Shoulder does not. My purchase is not as much a business decision regarding profitability as it is efficiency and lessening the wear and tear on my body. It would be AWESOME to be able to knock out an entire load of logs in a day or weekend!

My process
1. I take a logging truck of 20' poles every 6-8 weeks. The logs are mostly < 13" diameter, straight, no crotches etc.
2. I stack all my split logs...I do not leave in a pile
3. Any log that gets sent thru a 4 way wedge will also be cleaned up by my Super Splitter. I deliver to restaurants and they like smaller splits
4. Speed is not my #1 priority but would like to have a logging truck load processed in a weekend.
5. While anything is possible...never say never..., I DO NOT project massive growth of my enterprise over the 50-60 cords per year I want to produce with this new purchased processor.

I have narrowed my search down between two machines. The Wood Beaver Lil 13 and the Dyna SC12 and am struggling making the decision. Both choices have manual saws and clamps. Both have log lifts which is REQUIRED for my purchase. The differences I will list below...

Wood Beaver 13. Has a "shuttle deck" in-feed adjustable 4 way wedge, 8 foot conveyor. =< 13" log. The price is $10,500 + tax and + approximately $1000 in shipping to my house. It advertises an 8 foot log max but I have a feeling a 12' would possible go thru it. B & C are 18" .050

Dyna SC12. Has a chain driven in-feed. Fixed four way wedge, no conveyor ($3000 option) The price is $13,500, TAX free, and I would be able to pick up myself (4 hours from home).

The price of the Wood Beaver 13 is very appealing to me but I am not sure if I would grow tired of the shuttle deck. Also I may want a longer tray to accept a longer log. The Dyna has a more desirable in-feed but is $3000 more and DOES NOT have the out feed conveyor...$3000 added option....firewood shoulder notwithstanding.

I appreciate your insight and any experiences you have with purchasing this type of machine...if I would regret purchasing "too small" or "too expensive."

Thanks in advance for your comments.

WCA

Back