Help With Firewood Processor Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DYNA1.jpg

Hi everyone...

I decided to go with the Dyna SC12XP. My dealer upgraded the manual saw bar with a hydro clamp and saw. I decided against the conveyor which would have added $3000 to the final price. My thought was I would rather save up and purchase a stand alone conveyor and have more flexibility with where my split wood is stacked. With the hydro upgrades this unit cost me $12,000...I had saved a few $$ being this model was a demo from a recent show and had 9 hours on the meter.

I picked the Dyna over the Wood Beaver 13 simply because of the YouTube video...heck, the owner was running the Wood Beaver machine and all I could notice was how much he fiddled with the log etc. I could feel my shoulder ache every time I saw him wrangle that log.

I am pleased with my Dyna but I do have a number of gripes about it...not that it under-preforms but rather the features are typical on an entry level machine. My biggest gripe is...as Sandhill said... it doesn't have an adjustable knife. I bought a 6 way for it but unless the log hits the knife dead-center you get some ugly splits and A LOT of wasted wood. If I ever upgrade from this machine an adjustable knife IS A MUST!!!. The other annoyance is the Dyna does not have a positive stop for measuring your cuts. You cannot beleive how much time you waste over a day of processing by feathering your in-feed conveyor to get your log at 16". For the type of wood I make and market...which is "pretty" wood and restaurant grade wood, I don't think this DYNA is good at precision processing. I desire consistent length and splits and because of these two issues I spend a lot of time messing with the logs to get the correct length and, unfortunately, sticking my hand into the splitting chamber to help the log to hit the knife centered.

Beyond this, the DYNA works as advertised. It is robust...has excellent welds, and the supporting systems are quality. While I have one return line that is routed awkwardly the other lines all look good and logically routed.

This unit has a .404 harvester 18" bar. The chain seems to way out last a standard 3/8 chain and cuts laser fast. Someone somewhere mentioned the flex that the knife has and I have to echo that. I don't think I will ever get used to seeing the knife flex as much as it does but the DYNA people said is by design because they use a soft steel for the splitting chamber.

So...here has been my biggest learning experience. Obviously, there is a huge difference in a processor compared to a chainsaw and splitter. If you own a processor you just cant load up the truck and head out to the woods. You have to design a process to make this machine work properly because it makes SO MUCH wood VERY QUICKLY and if you don't pay attention you will be up to your earlobes in split logs. The process must include handling your splits, either piling or stacking, and that can be as time consuming as making the wood the old way. I have finally started to fine tune my process and at times...this may seem odd...it is better for me to NOT run my machine because I haven't the time or space to stack and I don't want to leave a huge pile of firewood to be in my way for a week. While your Poulan and Pick-up truck can make you a pile of firewood, the processor makes it "differently" and changes the way you are used to experiencing it. I don't know if I am making sense here but maybe someone who purchased a processor can articulate this better.

The processor, I believe makes life easier on your body but there is still exertion and you have to be careful not to hurt yourself. You will still have to wrangle a crooked log on the deck, pull, push, tug, and all of these can cause you to slip, fall, cut yourself etc. Also, working with 12' poles exposes you to a new level of danger when they come crashing down on you or rolls up on your ankle.

One last thing that I was blind to was how much wood a processor wastes. This is mainly due to the splitter. I will run the machine for an hour and I will have a pile of chaff knee high. What I have started to do is remove the 4 way and simply split the logs in half. I finish off those splits with my Super Splitter. Nice, clean wood.

I don't have any recent pictures...the one above was when I pulled it home. I will make a video of it in action...if it ever quits raining...and will post. Let me know if I can add anything else.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the great write up just what I was looking for.. plenty of information there never even thought of.. knowing what you know now would you have if ever bought a processor??

Thanks for the great write up just what I was looking for.. plenty of information there never even thought of.. knowing what you know now would you have if ever bought a processor??

I am glad I own the processor...I still can't look you in the eye and tell you I am maximizing its usefulness. I cannot stress the need for an owner to have a process established to make this work. You need a place for a logging truck to pull onto your land to unload. You have to be able to get the logs to the machine, run thru the machine, and moved away from the machine when split. My biggest challenge is mud and the logging truck. I don't own a loader or skid steer so I need to be able to set the machine along side the stack of logs. That way I can roll them onto the dogs to be picked up into the trough. Lastly, all my splits have to be transported to the other side of my lot for stacking. If I let the pile of splits build up the logging truck won't be able to pull into my lot and unload where I need him.

For the price I was able to afford my choice came down between the Wood Beaver 13 and this DYNA. At times I wonder how life would be with the WB but I am not sold on the shuttle deck. The WB does have a smaller footprint, is less expensive, smaller engine less fuel. The other thing about the DYNA are the two strands that have to be layed on the ground. They are heavy and can be a point of injury because they are somewhat awkward to pull over the side and drop to the ground.

Again...ADJUSTABLE KNIFE! The WB has one but only in a four way. The DYNA has a 6 way but now I have learned that may not be the way to go for me. The firewood I try to make is "pretty" firewood and the DYNA isn't that good at making good looking stuff. If good looks isn't a concern for you the DYNA would do you well. If I had the money I think I would give serious consideration to the Hakki Pilke or Japa machines. They are MUCH faster and have the precision I am looking for with quality production.

Woodcutteranon
Thanks for the write up on the Dyna. A couple of years ago I looked at theirs but it came down to I didn't have enough pole type wood size wise that would work in a smaller processor. I built a homemade one that I am still working all the bugs out of it works ok, a lot of the wood I run is 24 inch dia to 36 inch dia. I built it with a 6 way hyd adj wedge. I couldn't image not having a hyd adjust wedge I am moving mind all the time. I do the same and run the multi wedge up or only four way and just resplit with another splitter if I have the help before it goes up the conveyor into the trailer . I am only doing my own wood so it the size gets a little off it's ok. I wish also I would have built this one with a hard stop also for the length. A chain with a hook doesn't work the best. I may install a hard stop on mine yet.

I took a picture of my operation below. My work flow begins with the logs being rolled to the Dyna's log lift. I am splitting the logs with the two-way wedge. Once my pile gets large enough I shut down the Dyna and finish the logs with the Super Splitter. The finished logs go onto my trailer and to the field for stacking in single-file rows. I do not leave my logs in piles...

I have set up a FIFO system (first in first out) for my logs. Keep in mind I only sell seasoned firewood so everything sits and dries for about 4-9 months (excluding oak which gets sent to another part of my yard...we call it "Oakland," where the oak sets for 18-24 months. The wood you see to the right in this picture are my logs that are in line for delivery. I pull from the far end (off picture). My newly split goes on that end and my new stacks chase my logs going out for delivery. That entire FIFO has 18 cords in it.

As of now I am able to keep my Dyna on the pavement which is nice for me BC the yard gets pretty soft with rain and snowy weather. I have build up the work area with wood chips.

My biggest inefficiency is not using my 4way or 6way knife. Both waste too much wood and I end up with a bunch of ugly logs. By just using the Dyna to split the log in half my waste is practically nil and the Super Splitter does a dynamite job making pretty, consistent firewood...albeit I am having to add an extra step. TBH I am not as concerned with speed as my volume is more than manageable with this process...still, I would prefer not to have to add extra hours of my day making firewood.

Again, note I do not have a conveyor. I am committing to run about 18 cords with this system before I figure out what exactly my needs are. Either a loader, conveyor, etc.

Thanks everyone.

owb27.1.jpg

Admire your pad, processor and super split. Can not see living without a loader any more. With that processor I can't see going without an elevator/conveyor either.

You got a nice set up. I need to get a concrete pad poured. It would be nice to have one to work on processing wood. I think you would find a conveyor would be a great help. I started out with a old corn elevator but it took a lot of repairing to keep it going. I looked and looked and finally found a old gravel conveyor that was hyd drive a guy had bought to start a roofing business and never used. It was a 1,000 mile round trip but worth it. I have used it 10 years and it is a big help. I have a skid loader for other farm duties so I have a loader wouldn't be with out it. Hope the firewood business goes well. Have a good Holiday.

I like the pad but for me, it would be way too much work moving all of my splits since I'm a windrow guy when it comes to my splits. I certainly don't want to handle them any more than I have to.

Back