firewood quarantine??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskyman, I'm in Wixom, just west of Novi.
What the DNR in MI is doing is putting bright purple boxes along the interstate and at off/on ramps. From what I was told, the borers are attracted to that color, and climb inside. Inside is some sort of pesticide or flypaper to kill them.

I suppose before too long some wizard will come up with some brain storm of importing a super woodpecker or some thing to eat the danged bugs.They did it with the ladybugs to eat the soybean aphids.That worked well but then what to do with the bugs after the beans are harvested.

We would be infested with birds ,then what,more cats,heaven forbid.

Just think,it all started with packing crates from some third world country.That really says a lot for globalization,cheap goods along with a free bug,such a great deal that was,humbug.

I suppose before too long some wizard will come up with some brain storm of importing a super woodpecker or some thing to eat the danged bugs.They did it with the ladybugs to eat the soybean aphids.That worked well but then what to do with the bugs after the beans are harvested.

Just think,it all started with packing crates from some third world country.That really says a lot for globalization,cheap goods along with a free bug,such a great deal that was,humbug.

Boy, that says a lot right there, Al!; buying cheap stuff from distant locales brought us a lot of nasties, including EAB, dutch elm, chestnut blight, pine borers of various types, etc. BUY LOCAL! I guess its easy to say, but you have to DO it, and try to get made in the usa stuff whenever possible. Some people laugh at what I have to say,but in a lot of ways the get everything cheap, sell it for more WALMART mentality is KILLING OUR COUNTRY IN OH SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS!@! The next step is EAT LOCAL. All these different chinese food companies selling us tainted food. Lots of my friends and family are involved in cooperative based local farmed produce organizations.

OK. its getting dizzy on the soapbox. I gotta get down now.

Last edited:
I buy as much local as I can, is there any
parasites from Scandinavia? there's some
saws there that are really nice. Most of
my clothes are domestic. I can see where
it'll never work though, some folks buy the
$2 sneakers cause they can't see the
difference. Maybe jack an import tax, don't
really know the answer.

-J

EAB and firewoodIn

It is my belief that EAB and firewood are not the biggests problem. What about all those big trucks running up and down the highways hauling Pulp wood to the paper mills, and what about those railroad cars loaded with fresh cut pulp? I say they are more likely to be hauling ash bugs than us firewood haulers who mainly haul dry wood. What would happen if they had to stop hauling pulp accross county lines? And as far as dry killing firewood, thats the big guys trying to run us small dealers out of business. Does any of this make sense or is it me.

I'd suppose if that's accurate and correct, and a means of insect transport, that would be a pretty darned bad thing! Sort of the zebra mussel example.

-Jason

Tetrastichus Planipennisi, Spathius Agrilli and Obius Agrilli are all non native bugs that are being looked at to control EAB.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ea/downloads/eab-ea4-07.pdf

I hope these bozos know what they're doing.

What about all the guys halling colored mulch. We have a place hear where they grind just about anything into mulch. To me it looks like your importing termites when you put that stuff down.
We had a neighbor spread black mulch this summer and it smelled like a chemical spill for about a week. It kills me how the yuppies can b**ch about farmers spreading manure, but they'll readily spread processed garbage wood that they have no idea whats in it or where it came from.

landscaper spread black mulch on our plantings this spring. wasn't awre there was a problem with it. it looks kind of "organic" to me. what's wrong with it?

Here in NW PA the ash borer has been around for a long time. It's like the weather forecast when they issue a warning 1/2 hour after the storm has passed. Big problem here is the new pine borer, I hope it never hits Cook's forest.

that is a beautiful area!! I hope it doesnt hit there too, I should get back up there one day(cooks forest) before the landscape changes.

LXT..........

I think the more $$ they pay to have some "mulch" put down
the happier they are. Oh, fancy imported firewood from asia!

-J

Tetrastichus Planipennisi, Spathius Agrilli and Obius Agrilli are all non native bugs that are being looked at to control EAB.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ea/downloads/eab-ea4-07.pdf

I hope these bozos know what they're doing.

That is a very interesting article Grinch, thanks.

The insects they are considering importing are all non-stinging wasps. Another interesting tidbit is that imported biological controls have had only a 12% effective rate in the past.

Quarantine does not appear to be working and we've imported the pest so I guess its time to import some of its predators. hmmm.....

Latest posts

Back