Firewood Ramblings from the last two weekends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some thoughts about cutting/splitting firewood after the last two weekends. The first thought, you can't have enought GOOD tools. I bought a DR splitter in November, awesome. Now, if you have huge, knotty rounds >20", it can be a pain to use the splitter, but those are not the majority of what I have. Besides, a tractor to pick them up takes the hernia part out of the equation. Along the splitting side, get a Fiskars or equivalent. I got one for CHRISTmas and love it. Some of the larger chunks I split before picking them up for the splitter and it works flawlessly. I have an 8lb maul and a 12lb monster and neither are as good, period. Throw in the fact that is lighter and this thing gets high marks from me. To go with splitting, I like having an area to do all my splitting and that is nice. I haul all my rounds down off the mountain in my trailer and split them there by the house. i don't like having all my equipment on someone else's property where others I don't know have access. For moving wood off the trailer, around the wood lot, get a hookeroon. Never had one til my dad got me one. I love it. The no bending over part or having to stretch to the back of the trailer is nice. Lastly, take care of your saws. All four of my users run great. They have also been ported. I know that isn't a necessity, but at least I can smile while cutting:msp_biggrin: I know this is just what the title says, but just letting you know what makes my cutting a little more fun and my splitting more productive. Also, I don't make any money on this wood and it heats four houses in my family so i have to do it a little bit quicker. Heck, I wouldn't be able to do any trout fishing if I didn't have enough wood cut:rock: Thanks for listening....well, reading.

Shea

Sounds good to me!! I dont have a log grabber yet though, let me try this out...

Hey Honey, going out to pick up a hookeroon, be back in an hour and...WHAP

hmmmm

I have a homemade splitter. An old highway dept. sign trailer with a three point ram assembly welded to it, a habour freight engine, 16 gallon pump with a cable operated lift that works off of the ram. Roll a 30 inch round over to it, pick it up, roll it onto the ram and split it onto a table next to the ram, turn around and throw it onto the the truck. Works great for me.

Back