firewood saw chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why?

PRO saws are nice but cost a lot more. The 290 is a proven workhorse and just lasts. The 391 is also a very good saw. I have run a 310 with a 390 piston and cylinder for a while and have had the 310 for 15 years. It is another that just works.

Not everyone needs to have a PRO saw for their firewood cutting.

Hal
+1

Sort of like the guy driving around in a dually who bought it to tow a 17' fishing boat.

If you want nice toys, buy nice toys.

If you buy nice toys to impress others, that doesn't impress me.

You can get a used Stihl 028 Super for half the price of a new 290. It will have the same horsepower and not require you to tear it to pieces to overhaul it. And, it weighs less than a 290 but has at least the same, if not more, horsepower. Offer me a 290 or an 028 Super for the same price, and I will buy the 028 any day.
Just thought I would throw that in for salt and pepper. :popcorn:

You can get a used Stihl 028 Super for half the price of a new 290. It will have the same horsepower and not require you to tear it to pieces to overhaul it. And, it weighs less than a 290 but has at least the same, if not more, horsepower. Offer me a 290 or an 028 Super for the same price, and I will buy the 028 any day.
Just thought I would throw that in for salt and pepper. :popcorn:

Well duh!

An 028 is much more saw than a 290.

Don't listen to the saw snobs, you don't need an $800 saw to cut firewood with, lol. If you can find a smokin deal on a used pro grade saw, sure. But not necessary. Use the money on another saw or parts and regular maintainence for the ones you have...all saws break down, even the pro grade ones(gasp!).

It is personal use that I use it for occasionally taking down trees for people
So, you are a professional using a professional saw. If a saw is used exclusively on your own property, then by definition it would be a homeowner saw. If a saw is used on another's property for hired cutting, then by definition it would be a professional saw. I'm a homeowner and use RM saw chain mostly, RS seldomly. Oregon saw chain is more expensive, and less quality, than Stihl saw chain in my area.

So, you are a professional using a professional saw. If a saw is used exclusively on your own property, then by definition it would be a homeowner saw. If a saw is used on another's property for hired cutting, then by definition it would be a professional saw. I'm a homeowner and use RM saw chain mostly, RS seldomly. Oregon saw chain is more expensive, and less quality, than Stihl saw chain in my area.
Don't listen to the saw snobs, you don't need an $800 saw to cut firewood with, lol. If you can find a smokin deal on a used pro grade saw, sure. But not necessary. Use the money on another saw or parts and regular maintainence for the ones you have...all saws break down, even the pro grade ones(gasp!).
I agree I've had no issues with my saws I don't need to spend a fortune on a high class saw I have a family also to support my mid grade saws work just fine

But bragging about your newest mid-saw accusation and the pictures aren't cool :)
With are you talking about? I haven't posted any pictures of my saws period nor have I bragged about any of my saw just that I think the way I have my 290 running that it runs pretty good for my likeings

Oregon and Stihl chain are both good. If I went out just to cut firewood, I'd choose a 036 over a MS290 any day. Granted 029's and 290's have bucked up more cords of wood for woodburners than any other saw. That's because there is so many millions of them out there running every day. I know a guy who does nothing but cut and sell firewood all winter. Every year he trades in his last MS290 and gets a new one and 100' of semi-chisel. He upgrades for a couple hundred bucks and the dealer puts his old saw with a new guide bar and chain and spark plug in it out on the floor by the shelves and it's gone in two days. But if I was gonna do nothing but cut firewood for five months, I'd scour craigslist every night looking for cherry 036 pro's for $300 and snatch every one within 100 miles. And then hold on to 'em. Work on those farmer Stihls and Pro Stihls yourself and come back to say which makes you a happier owner.

Maybe where you live bu I think that OREGON chain can be had in most places for a good bit less than STIHL. My experience with both RS and LG chain is that they are very similar. I actually think that for the cutting I do in large hard wood, the LGX works better and holds a better cutting edge for longer than RS on the same saw.

As for price and deals, watch the big dealers, Baileys and Masdens have deals now and then. I have been able to get two chains for the price of one from both. Buy what you are going to need when it is cheep ( if you can) and have them on hand when you need them.

Hal

As far as firewood chain goes, I would lean towards a good semi-chisel if you're cutting a lot of fallen trees that have been laying around. Full chisel might be faster in the wood, but at the end of the day the semi puts more wood in the truck w/ less fuss.
Hmmm... Maybe that's why I bought last spring a 100' reel of Carlton semi-chisel for all my big saws. So far, they love the stuff and have no complaints--bucking or noodling. It makes no difference. For example:
That's a 32" bar on board.

Running Carlton - no complaints, I agree with another poster semi -chisel lasts longer in the sharp department when bucking dirty logs. I have both types don't notice much if any difference speed wise in the cut. I do notice that the full chisel will dull out faster.( don't jump on me I have saws from 38cc-122cc and bust up some 16-30 cords a year).

I have a ms 290 20" bar and ms 391 25" bar I do a lot of firewood cutting and splitting but my main question is chains my ms290 I plan on using a full chisel chain and my ms391 using a full chisel full skip chain I know the saying you get what you pay for but does that also go with the brand Oregon and forester there fairly a lot cheaper then stihl brand chains how durable are they?
try and break up your sentences. makes it hard reading...thanks

Having tried bud's HF grinder, and listened to his comments, and owning an NT $100 grinder for ~1 yr., let me say that if you like the HF you will LOVE the NT one. Much better structure in the NT one. Much, much better. Good wheels avail by Molemab & Oregon.

From what I've seen and heard close-up, I would not invest the time or space dealing with the HF one.
fact!!!

Latest posts

Back