Firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the 357 Xp, I know it's not highly rated by some but it's the best saw I've ever had in my hands, and I wanted one saw to do everything. I'm running an 18" bar, cutting 20" and under hard woods (mostly 12-18"), I have home owner needs but I will be cutting more firewood for myself, my dad and helping my nephew so it will do the trick for me. That being said I could snatch up the old 340 at work and put a small bar on it for limbing and as my 'loaner' becuase once everyone knows you have saw someone will sooner or later ask to borrow it.

I would not recommed loaning your saw. Either it will get beat up, or some one is going to lose a bodily appendage. If my saw is "loaned", I'm part of the package with PPE. I've cringed the way some people wield a chainsaw. Besides its a lot easier to do the cuts for them than cleaning out blood and bone chips from your saw afterwards!:chainsaw:

I would not recommed loaning your saw. Either it will get beat up, or some one is going to lose a bodily appendage. If my saw is "loaned", I'm part of the package with PPE. I've cringed the way some people wield a chainsaw. Besides its a lot easier to do the cuts for them than cleaning out blood and bone chips from your saw afterwards!:chainsaw:

Well of course I agree with not loaning the saw, but when brothers, friends or people I know ask, they will just go to the rental and get one if I don't, so no sense pissing off the people around me. I agree with the use of PPE and being there to help or cut for them, but peoples ego's get in the way of accepting help so after my standard offer, I will be able to hand them the 340, at least the saw has a few good years behind it.

My 70cc saw weighs about 14lbs, has about 7.5 hp. It would take alot to convience me I could get more done with my time and energy with any 50cc saw, if it is a weaker person operating the saw, maybe, but 4lbs or so for about twice the hp, if I only had one saw it would have to be a 70cc.

On loaning out saws, anyone close enough to me to get one of mine, has enough respect for me not to ask.

My 460 bucked 24" tan oak about 2-3 times faster than a 024 or a 260. I have some 36" diameter tan oak to buck and I will probably drag out the 084 for a least a tank full. I cut in my neighborhood and seldom cut more than 2-3 tanks of fuel at a time. I am old and out of shape and need to get some thing done in the time that I cut.

I bought the 357 Xp, I know it's not highly rated by some but it's the best saw I've ever had in my hands, and I wanted one saw to do everything. I'm running an 18" bar, cutting 20" and under hard woods (mostly 12-18"),.

Hey, congrats on the new 357xp! It's a fine saw, cuts like a banshee. I let mine eat a 24" solid oak log this am, and it had no complaints. I read all of the rationale for the 361, but after so long of the 026 had a hankerin for some Swedish action. I keep swapping between the 20" and the 16"; good call on the 18".:cheers:

Just got done cutting some black ash, hard maple and a bit of oak, the 357 is doing a nice job, I am happy with my purchase. The area I live in has been heavily logged over the last 150 years, so our fire logs tend to average in the 14-18" diameter. I tried my bro. in law's 372 with 20" and man that thing hauls the mail! I was thinking maybe next year might look at one, not that I need one, but this saw thing is pretty addicting!

Kirk

Myself, here in central michigan . All of my firewood needs are meet with my 361 with 18 in bar. Have a 20" bar too. Now all the tops and small limbing is done with my new little MS180c.

I did it all with just the 361 last year. I dont need 30cc saw. But I like it.

If a guy had too, he could use a nice falling axe and a good crosscut saw!!!!!
I Guess it is just what you like, aye.

Myself, here in central michigan . All of my firewood needs are meet with my 361 with 18 in bar. Have a 20" bar too. Now all the tops and small limbing is done with my new little MS180c.

I did it all with just the 361 last year. I dont need 30cc saw. But I like it.

If a guy had too, he could use a nice falling axe and a good crosscut saw!!!!!
I Guess it is just what you like, aye.

I use a 15" with x8, and an 18" with x7, both with 36RSC, most of the time.

The 15" will be replaced by a 16", eventually - but it takes some time to wear out a Stihl bar - even if it is an "E", and not an "ES"......

Last edited:
All I ever seem to cut is redoak,if im ina big blowdown i'll always start with my 280, 18" bar then when things get managble and i'm done cutting over head, then its 460 24"bar untile its in the wagon.

Latest posts

Back