Firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm one of those guys that was looking for a "firewood saw" - I'd been using a Poulan Woodsman, and it while it did a lot of what I needed, it really wasn't up to the job of cutting my 5-6 cords a year, mostly log length, but some felling as well. Most of the wood I get is in the 10-20" diameter range, but I get some trunks that are in the 36+" range.

I decided that I was better off going for a really large saw that would be able to handle anything I needed it to do, as opposed to getting a medium size that still wouldn't handle everything that I have unless I did a lot of extra work... Reading here and the saw threads on ********** convinced me of the value of getting a pro-grade saw, plus the problems I had with the Poulan. It seemed to me that I was better off getting one big saw now than to get a medium saw now and still need a big saw eventually - So I ended up with a Dolmar 7900 - Overkill for 90% of my cutting, but able to do 100% of it, and from what I've seen Dolmar seems to be available for a significant amount less than the comparable H&S models, and I wasn't going crosseyed trying to figure out how different models compared... It also seemed from looking at the factory spec pages that the 7900 managed to get a lot more saw into a reasonable weight - there is something to be said for an 80cc saw that has the weight of most 60's...

(Incedentally when I was asking, I had most responses seeming to advise against trying to get a used saw, so it's interesting that most of the comments in this thread seem to be advising a used purchase?)

Gooserider

(Incedentally when I was asking, I had most responses seeming to advise against trying to get a used saw, so it's interesting that most of the comments in this thread seem to be advising a used purchase?)

Sounds like you are happy with your purchase. They must have steered you in the right direction. I have never bought a new saw.... Ever.... I have always wanted to but I can get twice as many saws this way. And I have had almost every model pro Stihl and Husky made since the mid 80's. I love to work on stuff in the shop. So for me its a win win with used saws.

One of my favorite firewood saws, Husky PP357XP

p1010034jd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your answer was correct. But after the upcoming AXMEN series, no saw under 70cc will be enough! :chainsaw:

The slow period dealers speak of will change!:greenchainsaw:

I am looking forward to watching that!!!!

I agree with bookerdog completly, I and can not understand why everyone recomends a high dollar pro saw when a mid range saw will last him 2 life times and cost half as much. Espically when someone says they have 3, 4 , or 5 hundred dollars to spend. The next thing you know they are talking them into 600 dollar saws that will last them 3 or 4 lifetimes and will not even save cutting time cause the poor guy probally cant sharpen a chian that well and is too broke to buy extra chains or have a shop do it.

Quality tools are more fun to work with than mediocre ones, whatever the task is.....:givebeer:

"Need" can be hard to define!

Last edited:
I'm probably going to bounce around here to the point that I'll seem to be disagreeing with myself but why not join the discussion anyway?:givebeer:

The extra $100 to $200 that someone might spend to get a better saw than he was planning on, is really insignificant when you consider how much money will be saved in just a few years of burning wood. Heck, I save $3000 a year myself @ current oil prices. However a lot of people come in my store with a price point in their mind that they really don't want to exceed. They have settled on say, $300 and you can suggest something nicer, but you have to be careful not to offend them by giving the impression that you are just trying to get more money out of them.

But I think where members most often miss the mark with this "firewood saw" advice is more along the lines of power and size than price. Let's admit it, we're all addicted to power! But our fondness for power and speed isn't really in sync with the average saw customer. In addition to price, one of the most important factors for many people is weight. They pick up a 372 and to them it's a big heavy saw. They pick up a 350 or 346XP, and it feels like a tool that they want to work with. They know that it is obviously going to be slower than the 372, but they aren't in a hurry, and it will likely be as quick or quicker than whatever they have been using.

You also have to take into account the size and age of the customer. Big guys are obviously more likely to want a bigger saw. With older guys, it's all about weight.

I also think that the number of cords a guy burns each year really only tells part of the story about his saw needs. Other questions that need to be asked are how big are the majority of logs that he will be cutting? Is he cutting on a log pile? Is he cutting in the woods? Will he have lots of limbing to do? How much cutting will he do at one time? Just a pick up truck load every weekend?

Another thing that I've seen is that in addition to the weight of the saw, the weight of the blocks being cut is another factor that comes into play. Many guys aren't interested in cutting blocks of oak that require two guys to pick up, so they don't need a saw big enough to cut them. For hardwoods averaging 12", a good 50cc saw will do just fine. You don't get tired running the saw or tossing the wood into the back of the truck.

You guys would be amazed at how much wood some of these people cut with saws that on this site would be considered inadequate.

Great post, very much in line with what I see from day to day. Where I am is a relatively poor area and a saw costing greater than $500 is not even an option.

I was sawing lumber last year with a fellow who was using an 039 in an Alaskan mill. It was slow going for the guy, but he had lots of time on his hands and her certainly ended up sawing more lumber than I did with a borrowed 066. I'm hardly saying it's the right tool for the job, but it still did get the job done.

For the average firewood cutter around here, the Husky 350/353/359, Stihl 021/025/026/029 and newer versions of each are great, light saws for 6"-12" wood.

Last edited:
Great post, very much in line with what I see from day to day. Where I am is a relatively poor area and a saw costing greater than $500 is not even an option. For the average firewood cutter around here, the Husky 350/353/359, Stihl 021/025/026/029 and newer versions of each are great, light saws for 6"-12" wood.

+1 Jack. My area is the same. Relatively poor county with no industry. Everyone has to have their fingers in allot of pies to get by. Mostly seasonal stuff. The upside is, it's a beautiful area and the seasonal work is outside. At the local Stihl/Husky dealer, it's almost exclusively in the 50cc range of saws they sell the most of. Most people are taking hardwood (and some tamerack) that is hand splitable. That or they order it in tree length and cut off the pile. These folks have no need for anything larger. :greenchainsaw:

Only reason around here for a larger saw, for firewood cutting is some of the bigger logs that will sit because no one has a big enough bar to cut them. I can borrow a bigger saw when I need it, but since I do save so much heating with wood, I can afford a new saw every once in a while. Of course, after I get the 7900, probably ain't gettin' a new saw for a while. :)

I'd say a 20" bar will take care of 95% or more of the firewood you find around here. Might have to cut it in two passes, and it won't be fast, but wood that big is rare around here for firewood, usual is 12"-24".

Our area is pretty rural and depressed, no major employers in our county. Quarrying is the big deal here, but even that's taking a major hit. Farming is a memory here, despite what some would tell you. Actually surprised that more people aren't heating with wood, but it's generally the folks who've been doing it all along, or maybe stopped and have started to burn again. Been seeing a lot of older saws in for repair at the shop, like Mac 10-10's, Homie Super XL's, and older Stihls.

Besides, most of the guys here are happy with the saws they've bought, and they will last them as has been said, several lifetimes if cared for.

Ditto on the 20" bar.

Festus, -That Old Soviet Saying- Didn't I hear that at the AA/NA meeting?:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Been seeing a lot of older saws in for repair at the shop, like Mac 10-10's, Homie Super XL's, and older Stihls. .

You're right, people are dragging these things out and putting them back to work. I started stocking 59 driver chains for the Homelites for the first time in 10 years.

But you're mentioning of those saws gave me a thought. If this dicussion was taking place 25 years ago, XL-12's and 10-10's would probably be taking all of the abuse that's being heaped on the 290/455/350 type saws. "Don't get a 10-10, you need a Pro-Mac 850."

Ditto on the 20" bar.

Festus, -That Old Soviet Saying- Didn't I hear that at the AA/NA meeting?:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Hmm, maybe. I learned it while studying the Soviet army during my military time. That and classics like "a decision unmade, is a decision uncriticized". Figured out early on that besides the nuclear threat, the Sovs weren't really all that. Crappy equipment, abysmal morale, untrustworthy "allies". Probably used Wildthings, even.

This thread has me thinking about trying out an MS270, I'm guessing it'll be similiar to my 028, but it would be nice to offer an honest suggestion for a non-pro saw, based on actual use, when folks are coming here for advice personal/seasonal/occasional use.
I did use a 180 for a couple cuts, nice little saw, I'll have to borrow it again and put it to use for an hour to get a good feel for it.:cheers:

p1010034jd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Glad to see that there is someone else besides me making their own wooden bar and chain guards. You made that, right? I use hickory, oak, and occasionally ash. My case style is a bit different. To keep the weight down, I use thin stock (about 5/16") for the outside casing as well as the separator between the two halves. I also mount a holder for the scrench on the side.

Tip: drill a 7/32" hole on the top side near the entrance. Then insert a 24" length of nylon twine through it. Tie a simple overhand knot on each side so the cord cannot slip out. Now tie the cord to the saw handle with a simple bow slip knot so the wooden guard won't slip off the bar.

Nice job and nice saw. This was the only other saw I considered before buying my Stihl MS 361. Dealer availability and his reputation steered me to the Stihl. :cheers:

p1010034jd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The saws are OK, but it's that shiny new Kubota that has me jealous. My 20 year old 2450 is still running strong, but the new Kubota features keep making me want to update. :)

That's a good idea you had on carrying your saws on the tractor. I put mine in the frontloader, and always hope I don't forget about them being there when I run into a a blowdown in one of my roads. I'd hate to smash a 361 that I forgot was in the bucket.

Last edited:
Well, you have "pro" vs homeowner saws to consider too..... I won't go there....BUT

I err on longevity so go pro. 50 cc will handle 3-5 cords fine up to ca. 20 in hardwood (meaning the 20 in tree will only require a few 20 in cuts....). These are "pecker poles" not worth milling that typically you get in 7-8 cord loads log lenght. 60 cc saw will last longer, handle larger trees, and only weigh a bit more ( I've dropped/bucked a 52 " ash with a homelite super XL, but not fun). 70 cc saw will do all you want for a cordwood saw, unless you are in good shape the weight will be felt, a serious saw that will handle a 24-28 in bar.

I will not start another stihl/husky/dolmar is best thread.........any of the three will do the job well.

P.S. I jumped the previous posts as I'm on dial-up, sorry if the above has been beaten to death

P.P.S. I heat with wood, < 25 gal of oil last year, of the saws I own, no big stuff ever (e.g. huge), I'd keep the 036..........

Last edited:
Book I couldnt agree with you more,,,,,

346/357/359 210/290/310's, have proven themselves over and over,,,, and will continue to do so,,,, I I'm sure even jonsered/dolmar has one that is right in the mix,,,,Heck o - Echo has one too!!!!!
The 346 and 357 shouldn't be in the list on the left since they are higher dollar pro saws. Maybe you were thinking the 345/350 or the 4XX series?

Not the 359.......:greenchainsaw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDarkness
0r
372xp

One of those will do better.......

Not the 359.......

The 372 is still overkill for a firewood saw. Yeah I have one, but overkill! Everything I cut can be done with the 353. Why do I have a 372, I wanted one! Did I need it? Nope!!!

Latest posts

Back