Firewood saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About what I was guessing when I read that - face cords, so it translates to more like 15-20 real cords, of which at least five is totally wasted by sending it up the stack of an OWB. Glad I don't live downwind. (a gasifier boiler like a Tarm or an EKO will typically burn 30% less wood than a "highly efficient" design OWB that is properly operated...)

Gooserider

Well, this thread was about firewood chainsaws but, since you brought it up, what does one of those gasifiers typically cost? I've owned an OWB for 20 years (still working fine and paid for itself many times over) and want to figure out how long it will take to get get a return on the investment.

Do you use it? Or take pictures of it?

My saws get used. Pulling in some logs from my wood lot

p1010251zq9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Whatever the firewood queston is, the MS361 is the answer......:givebeer: :givebeer:

Im working with the site mod's so that when you ask a firewood/saw question it just tells you this topic has been beat to death and go buy a 361(1000 Times in a row):hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

now lets talk sence, you should get rid of that 372 that is overkill

My saws get used. Pulling in some logs from my wood lot

p1010251zq9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great picture-there is nothing like the blue of the sky on a clear winter day.

Was doing the same thing yesterday with my tractor before the snow storm, but only dealing with trees that had fallen down-nothing that looked as nice (or as straight) as what you are dragging, but all maple and ash so once I run it through the splitter it will burn fine next winter.

Well, this thread was about firewood chainsaws but, since you brought it up, what does one of those gasifiers typically cost? I've owned an OWB for 20 years (still working fine and paid for itself many times over) and want to figure out how long it will take to get get a return on the investment.

I'm not an expert on the prices, and there are a lot of variations, but from what I understand a typical gasification boiler will run about the same as a higher end OWB, and a thermal storage system can be anywhere from a few hundred to a few K depending on size, construction method, scrounge / scratch built or purchased, etc...

You'd probably get a better answer if you were to take a look at the "Boiler Room" forum over on **********. Some of the systems that folks are running over there are incredible, and they have a better handle on pricing, etc... (My favorite is a fellow in VT, heating and hot water year round for ~3,000 sqft, a hot tub, and wife + 2 teenage daughters, on about 4-5 cords / year (w/ solar supplement in the summer) - last year consumed SEVEN gallons of heating oil - he's working on reducing that!:cheers:

Gooserider

Hey Troll, If you and hydro2 think your 372 is over kill, I will gladly trade you my jonsered 670 champ and a little extra cash for it. I know you will agree that it is not over kill and it will wip a 361.

Remember I said I wanted it, just did not need it. LOL

I'm not an expert on the prices, and there are a lot of variations, but from what I understand a typical gasification boiler will run about the same as a higher end OWB, and a thermal storage system can be anywhere from a few hundred to a few K depending on size, construction method, scrounge / scratch built or purchased, etc...

You'd probably get a better answer if you were to take a look at the "Boiler Room" forum over on **********. Some of the systems that folks are running over there are incredible, and they have a better handle on pricing, etc... (My favorite is a fellow in VT, heating and hot water year round for ~3,000 sqft, a hot tub, and wife + 2 teenage daughters, on about 4-5 cords / year (w/ solar supplement in the summer) - last year consumed SEVEN gallons of heating oil - he's working on reducing that!:cheers:

Gooserider

OK, that's great if one is just now purchasing a wood heat system. Those that have current systems and are paying near nothing for heat and hot water would never see a return.

Hey Troll, If you and hydro2 think your 372 is over kill, I will gladly trade you my jonsered 670 champ and a little extra cash for it. I know you will agree that it is not over kill and it will wip a 361.

I don't think so - some overkill is fun now and then........:greenchainsaw:

OK, that's great if one is just now purchasing a wood heat system. Those that have current systems and are paying near nothing for heat and hot water would never see a return.

Yes and no... Your return would be slower certainly, but you will burn about 30-40% LESS wood on average for the same amount of heat. If you are purchasing cut & split, (which considering the site we're on I doubt:) ) the savings are obvious; but even if you get your wood for "free", what does the time and effort it takes to process it cost you, plus the time and effort to feed the boiler, etc... IMHO that DOES translate into a return, even if it isn't in cash...

Many jurisdictions are passing restrictive rules and regs on OWB's, including some outright bans, or rules about when you can use them, siting restrictions, etc. A lot of this is due to the smoke output that an OWB emits coming off idle, especially if burning green wood or if one of the slobs that treats their OWB as a private incinerator and burns trash, and other non-wood in it. - While you should only burn dry cordwood in a gasifier, users have reported that they get less smoke and odors when burning a gasifier, so you get a "Public Relations" benefit.

OWB's DO wear out - again I've seen lots of reports that they tend to have relatively short lives before starting to leak, especially compared to other types of boilers, including gasifiers... Thus they will need replacement, and IMHO it makes good sense to replace an OWB with a gasifier if one is going to be replacing it anyway.

That said, while every situation is different, I would probably not replace an existing OWB in good working order, though I might try adding a storage tank to it. However if the OWB was going to need replacing anyway, or was in need of major repair, I'd strongly consider replacing it with a gasifier instead... The added cost would be relatively small, and I think the payback would be fast just in terms of lower wood consumption.

Gooserider

Back