Firewood shed.............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Any use the $600.00 Aluminium carports for wood storage? I was thinking about getting on 18 x 21 and have sides half way down. This way I could also put my utility trailer under it as well. Any thoughts on this good or bad? If anyone uses this I would love to see some pics or hear some ideas.

I would think they would work pretty good. I thought about getting one but was to cheap to spend the money

My wood shed has the roof from a 12x12 metal storage shed sitting on six
4x4s. It is sided on two sides(North and South) to keep the snow from blowing in. Works great. It allows enough air to dry the wood and keeps most of the weather out.

I bought an 18x20 foot one from a hardware store that was going out of business. It was their display model and I got it for about $ 400. I put a layer of heavy plastic down, then gravel and installed the metal carport on the gravel. I then laid pressure treated wood on the gravel and screwed pine that I had treated with a termite/bug spray and then sprayed an additonal coating of motor oil and diesel fuel on the wood just to be sure the floor didn't taste good to any insects. The ends of the floor are vented to allow air to pass under the floor and keep it from rotting.

I bought additional metal to cover the sides and ends and I don't yet have it all installed. Here is a picture of it a couple of months ago when the fellow (Blaze) was installing my Woodmaster. The vertical boards were orignally 1 inch rough sawn pine that I had....but are not sufficient to keep from bending under the load of the stacked wood and I since have added 2x4 lumber to reinforce them. I believe it will hold around 18-20 chords of wood when filled up to the rafters - I made a small shelf area in the back that I have reserved for kindling and it turns out I need almost none as the fire runs continuously and seldom needs to be re-started.

I bought an 18x20 foot one from a hardware store that was going out of business. It was their display model and I got it for about $ 400. I put a layer of heavy plastic down, then gravel and installed the metal carport on the gravel. I then laid pressure treated wood on the gravel and screwed pine that I had treated with a termite/bug spray and then sprayed an additonal coating of motor oil and diesel fuel on the wood just to be sure the floor didn't taste good to any insects. The ends of the floor are vented to allow air to pass under the floor and keep it from rotting.

I bought additional metal to cover the sides and ends and I don't yet have it all installed. Here is a picture of it a couple of months ago when the fellow (Blaze) was installing my Woodmaster. The vertical boards were orignally 1 inch rough sawn pine that I had....but are not sufficient to keep from bending under the load of the stacked wood and I since have added 2x4 lumber to reinforce them. I believe it will hold around 18-20 chords of wood when filled up to the rafters - I made a small shelf area in the back that I have reserved for kindling and it turns out I need almost none as the fire runs continuously and seldom needs to be re-started.

Sweet setup, great find for $400 :cheers:

Too cheap,
new at salvage prices metal roofing
10' x3"x3" oak pallet runners, and other pallet parts for framing.

will be redoing the framing with csmilled lumber this year.

Look around for some "Cover-It" garages with the cover torn to shreds. Most people will give them away.
Then just find some old tin roofing and self-tapping screws, cover the top & sides and leave the ends open.
No pictures but they work!

Latest posts

Back