Firewood statistics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's Lawncare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good sites for firewood statistics. For example, obviously a cord is 4x4x8, which comes out to 128 cubic feet. we all know that stacked wood does not come out to 128 cubic feet, less with all the airspace. But does anyone have a good website that has all the charts with all this information, and info on like how much cubic feet of wood it takes to put a cord of wood into a truck if it was randomly thrown in, ect.

Click on the "good information" stickie at the top of the page... you don't even have to search for it.

Ian

The measurement of a cord of firewood is addressed by various state laws. This is because you can stack it, then restack it and come up with more or less.

For info on this, search google.com for the words...
firewood cord law

So my f-350 with a ez-dumper with two ft sides equals a half cord according to their measurements. I beg to differ. What's everyone use to delivery a full cord then?? How wide is the body on a f-350 dually ??It's ironic because I came on to ask this exact question.

Brush hog,

If your bed is 8' ID and the ID of your sides is 8' then and it is stacked neatly level full with the sides of the bed. 8x8x2 = 128 cu. ft. = 1 cord.

Typically a full width trailer and I am assuming a dually flatbed will have an 8.5 foot wide bed. IF your side boards are pretty heavy duty and about 3" thick ea then you have 8'.

If you want a 2 full cord you need to neatly stack to a 6ft center height on top of your neatly stacked level load. .5 x 4' x 8' x 8' = second full cord.

If you don't want to mess with stacking neatly, you should probably load from some neatly stacked and measured stacks with your preferred method a few times to get a good idea of what a full cord looks like in your bed. Add a few pieces for good measure and then just make sure you have enough in the bed when you go out for delivery.

Don

A Cord is a lot of wood

Brush Hog is your flat bed 6' or 8' wide? Most full size trucks can only get about a half cord in them without having the wood really rounded on the top and pretty much no full size truck with the factory bed can get a full cord. I have a F-250 with a 8'x6' flat bed and I typically can only load it about 2' high, sometimes more, but with the wood stacked 2' high that is only 3/4 of a cord, but it sure looks like a lot of wood. Looks like even more when I go to split it by hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back