What is a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Ohio, there is a legal definition: 128 cubic feet of split wood, neatly stacked. Terms such as "rick", "face cord" and "thrown cord" are illegal for use in commerce.
A cord has always been 128 cubic feet. But wood isn't liquid and you can't pour it exactly into a 128 cubic foot space. That's why we ricked it and had extra on top to allow for settling. If someone is selling a split wood 'cord' in exactly a 128 cubic foot space, they are cheating you. With settling and air space, you're not getting a true approximate cord.

Kevin

Laws may vary by state. But in Ohio, if the stacked volume is 128 cubic feet at time of sale, it is a cord. The seller is not required to make an allowance for future volume reduction due to drying. If properly stacked, there will be no settling, but the wood may shrink a bit. The fact that you add a little extra on top just means you are being a nice guy. Sort of like a baker's dozen.

A cord has always been 128 cubic feet. But wood isn't liquid and you can't pour it exactly into a 128 cubic foot space. That's why we ricked it and had extra on top to allow for settling. If someone is selling a split wood 'cord' in exactly a 128 cubic foot space, they are cheating you. With settling and air space, you're not getting a true approximate cord.

Kevin

The cord definition usually includes "well ranked" or similar, i.e., stacked with the minimum of air space. but the cord ALWAYS includes air space. As to 'settling' a delivered cord should always be cured but we know it isn't always. If cured there shouldn't be any 'settling' after delivery. I do sell a few cords a year and it is always well cured. I stack in single row staked off 5' high, 20' long and add extra on top when I process it green.

The cord definition usually includes "well ranked" or similar, i.e., stacked with the minimum of air space. but the cord ALWAYS includes air space. As to 'settling' a delivered cord should always be cured but we know it isn't always. If cured there shouldn't be any 'settling' after delivery. I do sell a few cords a year and it is always well cured. I stack in single row staked off 5' high, 20' long and add extra on top when I process it green.
'Settling' was a generic term we used for drying, yes. We were careful though not to use the term 'drying' because some folks would freak at that term.....like there was something wrong with the wood.

Nobody required us to sell 'over' a cord, but in a competitive business, word soon got around that you sold 'more' wood in a cord than the other guys. Of course a cord "always" includes air space because like I said, you're not selling 128 cubic feet of liquid wood. How you stack it, determines how close it is to a cord.

And I will say it's a lost art form these days on tight ricking. Some people understand and do it, most don't. Funny thing is we used to gauge our work by what I called the Oregonian 'little old ladies'. These were gals that were usually widowed or taking care of an infirm husband. They had been burning wood all their lives for heat....they KNEW(as well as I did), what a stacked cord would look like. Furthermore, they usually had the same place inside a barn or whatever yr after yr where you stacked the wood. They were not at all shy about calling someone out on the quantity. And they told everyone they were shorted, if they were.

I figured if they were repeat customers, you were doing things right. But in CO it was a slightly different equation. Big bucks in delivering to condo's and the like, but the extra labor and handling/time never penciled out for us. Best money was dumping the cut rounds at a wholesale lot and off you go to get more.....no customers, no hassle. Different landscape now....selling to grocery stores, restaurants out of pre-made metal bins etc. I'm not convinced when they're talking about their profit, they're figuring in all the expensive equipment and handling/time involved.

Kevin

We have a company in Delaware that sells kiln-dried hardwood that I've wanted to try; however, won't be as the cost would be higher than even my heating oil for which I paid ~$1126 for ~188 gals.

$325 = 1/4 cord
$575 = 1/2 cord
$935 = Full cord

Delivery is free within 20 miles.

Stacking costs an additional:

$90 = 1/4 cord
$165 = 1/2 cord
$310 = Full cord

I know firewood isn't cheap but....wow.

We have a company in Delaware that sells kiln-dried hardwood that I've wanted to try; however, won't be as the cost would be higher than even my heating oil for which I paid ~$1126 for ~188 gals.

$325 = 1/4 cord
$575 = 1/2 cord
$935 = Full cord

Delivery is free within 20 miles.

Stacking costs an additional:

$90 = 1/4 cord
$165 = 1/2 cord
$310 = Full cord

I know firewood isn't cheap but....wow.

Wow.

It was $280 this year($260 last) for a cord delivered. Not kiln dried, but nice hardwood seasoned enough to be burned the same year as it was delivered.

Latest posts

Back