What is a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why not the same standard of shrinkage?
Because that's not how a cord is legally defined and shrinkage rates varies widely depending on species, heartwood vs. sapwood, growth rate of the tree, etc. . A cord is 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood. The particulars (moisture content, size and shape of individual pieces, whether the pile is stacked "tightly" enough, timing of measurement) is between the buyer and seller.

Because that's not how a cord is legally defined and shrinkage rates varies widely depending on species, heartwood vs. sapwood, growth rate of the tree, etc. . A cord is 128 cubic feet of tightly stacked wood. The particulars (moisture content, size and shape of individual pieces, whether the pile is stacked "tightly" enough, timing of measurement) is between the buyer and seller.
My point is since a Cord shrinks how does one accurately measure?

My point is since a Cord shrinks how does one accurately measure?
Same way you measure a gallon of water. It's a unit of measurement for volume. If you set a gallon of water out in the sun and some evaporates, you no longer have a gallon and must add some to have a gallon again. A cord is a cord. If it shrinks because it loses water, it's no longer a cord.

Same way you measure a gallon of water. It's a unit of measurement for volume. If you set a gallon of water out in the sun and some evaporates, you no longer have a gallon and must add some to have a gallon again. A cord is a cord. If it shrinks because it loses water, it's no longer a cord.
Well that seems to confirm what I suspected, so you have to stack it oversize when green and account for drying. I would say from experience about 4 inches higher works with Oak.

Well that seems to confirm what I suspected, so you have to stack it oversize when green and account for drying. I would say from experience about 4 inches higher works with Oak.

That's about what I allow when stacking green willow...but I bet it shrinks more that that. I've never checked it. I sell it by the cord delivered and if they stack and come up short I will deliver more. No one has ever called me on it in some 30 odd years.

I never stacked firewood before selling it. Way more work than it was worth. I knew roughly how much a cord was thrown in the truck and they got 10-20% over that. Took less time and effort to give the customer extra wood than to stack the wood to measure precisely. Told them if they got it stacked and it was shy to call me and I'd happily bring the balance. Never had a single person come up short.

I love the carrot equivalent of cordwood! My experience with the real thing is that it is hard to tell if there is any difference between rounds and them split. I never got this scientific, but I do think random stacks hold more per volume unsplit than when you split them. I don't have proof but have that gut feel. Maybe you just pile it higher off a splitter conveyor??
Interestingly, was just discussing with my BIL an older time article that stated the right way to make fire wood is to cut enough wood for next year into a stack. Split that stack into large splits and restack them as you go. Then resplit them into proper sized pieces and restack for the rest of the summer.
I suspect that is based on splitting by hand an hour or so every night, making plenty of work for the year, but assuring some sort of wood being always readily available.
In theory if the wood doesn't expand much, all this restacking is possible with minimal real-estate waste...

Back