What is a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not

That's not a cord, that's a chord. Then you have a notochord which has nothing to do with music or wood. What would this cord sell for?
I think the entire firewood system should be completely overhauled. Value should be based on weight and species since available btu varies with species. Anyone selling firewood would have to use a certified scale to get the exact weight of the load and factor in the species to get the btu value of the load. Or not. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

That'll never work. Dried/seasoned firewood would be less valuable than freshly cut wet-wood.
Regardless of species. Too many people wouldn't know one species from another, and there are more ways to cheat on weight than on a cord. Almost everybody owns a tape measure.

Anybody that buys much firewood eventually learns what they getting and how good the product is. I'd venture a guess that you can't build a good business by giving poor value to your customers. The marketplace will sort out the cheaters eventually.

When I used to deliver firewood I’d show up with truck and trailer loaded, the customer would say:

Customer- Which is mine, truck or trailer?
Me- They’re both yours.
Customer- I only wanted a cord.
Me- That is a cord.
Customer- I’ve been buying cords a long time, that’s way more than what they bring.
Me- They've been shorting you.
Customer- Dumbfounded expression.
Me- I explain how a cord is measured, and that this came from a measured row.
Customer- Pleasantly surprised.

This was very common, but it wasn’t gonna get me to short people. One customer knew what a cord was, and stacked and measured it between delivery of the two cords he wanted. He said “It’s pretty close”. Actually I threw in more for good measure, it should have been a little over.

I've had that happen. You gotta watch out for those folks that want to stack up the wood to measure it for fair value. The buyer tends to stack much more tight & carefully than the guy that is splitting and selling the stack.

I've had that happen. You gotta watch out for those folks that want to stack up the wood to measure it for fair value. The buyer tends to stack much more tight & carefully than the guy that is splitting and selling the stack.
Amazing how much time and effort people will expend to make sure they are not getting ripped off.

The place I get wood sells nice and dry red oak for $50 per bobcat scoop. Took 5 minutes to load two scoops which is about all that will go into a shortbed truck and it stacked out pretty close to a fireplace cord. That works for me and saves a bunch of time.

That'll never work. Dried/seasoned firewood would be less valuable than freshly cut wet-wood.
Regardless of species. Too many people wouldn't know one species from another, and there are more ways to cheat on weight than on a cord. Almost everybody owns a tape measure.

Anybody that buys much firewood eventually learns what they getting and how good the product is. I'd venture a guess that you can't build a good business by giving poor value to your customers. The marketplace will sort out the cheaters eventually.
Totally agree - Again, this was meant as sarcasm.

Totally agree - Again, this was meant as sarcasm.

Hard to tell when stuff is in print. Best to be a bit more heavy handed with sarcasm if you wan't me to catch it. That edit you inserted after-the-fact did the trick nicely.

By the way: loved that notochord reference. Very creative!
It reminded me of sea squirts.

1641854853597.png

Amazing how much time and effort people will expend to make sure they are not getting ripped off.

The place I get wood sells nice and dry red oak for $50 per bobcat scoop. Took 5 minutes to load two scoops which is about all that will go into a shortbed truck and it stacked out pretty close to a fireplace cord. That works for me and saves a bunch of time.
Short bed truck = 1/3 cord, in my experience.

Short bed truck = 1/3 cord, in my experience.

I remember a ranger telling us that a mini truck held a half cord, thrown in even with the top of the bed. She was using that as an example that we were removing more wood than we tagged for. Our tags were actually accurate. I don’t miss those days, they used to harass us all the time. Now they haven’t even stopped me in several years.

I remember a ranger telling us that a mini truck held a half cord, thrown in. She was using that as an example that we were removing more wood than we tagged for. Our tags were actually accurate. I don’t miss those days, they used to harass us all the time. Now they haven’t even stopped me in several years.
She was wrong. The compact trucks hold 1/4 cord.

Fireplace Cord is 1/3 cord. I did not make that up, but could be a regional term. Noted

Must be VERY local. I've been in these type threads for around 30 years and never heard of it. But why bother with made up terms when cord or fraction of a cord define it so EVERYBODY knows?

I got the carrots, and it is kind of inconclusive whether the volume grows or shrinks with splitting. Within the margin of error without doing the stacking three times or so. They are soaking in the cream of mushroom soup with a bit of onion now. The focus was a bit bad for the splits.

composite of carrot approximating cordwood.jpg

Latest posts

Back