firewood theives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey fellas, how do you all keep the nieghbor hood kids out of your woodpile. It's kind of hard to guard it 24-7. I've been nice, and i've yelled cussed and screamed and they still seem to steal a few logs when no one's looking. They've even taken some of the split stuff!!! :angry2: (that's the time that made me yell and scream) How inconsiderate can someone be to disrespect all that hard work!!??

'round here stealing firewood is a hangin' offense.

A lot of the people that come up here for the weekend and rent a cabin seem to think that it's "okay" to "borrow" a "few" pieces of firewood from the nearest neighbor...you know, as long as nobody see's 'em doing it.

They never seem to figure out that the footprints in the snow from their place to the neighbor's woodpile are a dead giveaway!

Carefully place some long vines of poison ivy across the pile.

Or, hang a sign near the woodpile that reads,
"Don't feed the rattle snakes." hehe.

Paybacks are hell !!

:angel:

When I was a kid, I learned not to borrow things whithout asking courtesy rock salt & bacon rind from a 12 ga.
It was watermellon's and not firewood, but same principal.
That fellow never had any more problems with people borrowing watermellons.
Andy

Last edited:
Motion sensor lights, and an annoying car alarm, or a talking car alarm that is activated by proximity, " Back away from the woodpile ".

Put a low voltage cattle fence line wire on the thieveble side of the pile, and don't mark it. Then when they come around in the dark and try to get around it.... ZZZZZZZAAPPPPP.

Motion sensor sprinkler, like the ones people use for scaring deer away.

Use a deer-cam that works at night, then involve the police, parents, neighbors, with the pictured info.

Talk to the kids. Offer them some free wood for a little free help next time you cut split or pile. Works for me. Most of the other ideas are plain goofy.
A most sensible reply, if ya have the time teach 'em how to split and stack too. Last time I had a similar problem (single parent, cold winter) I just cut some more and left a pile on the path, later I dropped a load off in their yard in the middle of the night, just a softy I guess and no skin offa my butt for an extra 10mins work. About a year later two gallons of blackberry wine and a big coho mysteriously appeared on my deck, cool, big hang-over but cool. Imho there are often alternative approaches that benefit everyone, not always, but sometimes. Then there are those that will just out-right rip ya off with no conscience, I'd consider a wee cow fence type thingy in that case, a nasty blackberry bush, or just pee on that end of the pile regularly, dunno, I'd be po'd though too.
Just a bit o' blather for the early afternoon.

:cheers:

Is it destitution or laziness? There's plenty of wood around these parts available for free for people willing to work. Of course, it's much easier to steal split wood from someone once they've done the work.

Is it destitution or laziness? There's plenty of wood around these parts available for free for people willing to work.

For free if you already have a saw and truck that is. Sounds like Sprig had a good plan, and the good came back to him. Can't beat that.

It might get pretty expensive trying to go on the "catch 'em in the act" route. I don't have any trouble with wood theft, but I am always looking for people to cut wood with(even if I don't keep the wood). Maybe the "thieves" might be up for working with you to get wood. If nothing else, they would hear, yet again, that what they are doing is wrong.

If that doesn't work, don't mess with the poison ivy plant. Go straight with pure urishol oil. If you are going to get them, get them good! I think I read that one drop could give 50 people the poison ivy rash.

My solution get a dog it has worked great for me :hmm3grin2orange:

One good chase and that will be the last you see of your wood theif. the rock salt and a 12 guage worked when I was a kid, never stole corn or tipped cows again maybe a bit over the top but it works

If it is kids stealing your wood good luck with the whole reasoning thing if it is campers or rental people a stack of wood and a coffee can with a sign that say firewood for sale many people will feel like they have to leave some money for the wood instead of just stealling.

Or set up my favorite sign this property is protected by a shot gun 3 nights a week you guess which 3 nights

Good luck as long was it is only a few peices don't go nuts

Back