firewood theives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just keep 14 cords worth of unsplit for myself. I'm more than happy to give the rest away to people who need it. The problem with this in the past couple years is that guys come in and cream the maple and locust and leave the willow and pine. I guess no one other than me has a splitter 'cause no one wants the big stuff. I don't appreciate strangers just showing up and taking what they want and last year I chased a few of them off. This year we're taking everything to the local Amish schools. There must be a couple dozen of them in the area and they'll take any size any diameter. Just hit the dump lever and we're done for the day. On stuff I don't want stolen I just leave them in long lengths and I don't ever leave split wood; it goes straight home to the woodpile.
Phil

<snip> On stuff I don't want stolen I just leave them in long lengths and I don't ever leave split wood; it goes straight home to the woodpile.
Phil

Same here. The wood lot I am using is a bit isolated. I have lost a bit out of it but I always leave stuff that will at least take a bit of work. Big rounds that will take two to load or have to be split or uncut logs. Most thieves aren't interested in doing a bit of even dishonest work.

Harry K

I bought a remote scouting camera on Ebay. Nothing like a good clear picture to work with !

hbbyloggr

GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been having problems with people cutting some of my pine trees down as Christmas trees. Yeah I know what better way to celebrate the birth of our lord then by stealing :angry:

I have uses dyes and skunk spray but both do not replace my trees, the dogs help but some of the missing trees are pretty far from the house so the dogs could not help with those but the camera might work.

Do you think the police or the Environmental protection people would be wiling to use the photos to charge these people?

Judge,

There are some pretty sophisticated cameras out there that work on motion detection and infra-red technologies plus video....no flash to give it away and make it a target. You might want to check with your local PD to see if it would stand up as evidence. Certainly you would have evidence of trespassing.

I'm setting one up to capture the "wildlife" and license plates at our road side vegetable stand. It doesn't take many items stolen to pay for itself.

Besides: "Inquiring minds want to know"
Hope this gives you some ideas.

I am bustin a gut here you guys. Let's see, a wheel barrow full of wood gets stolen. And we have: yellin, screamin, grenades, hangin, poison ivy, rocksalt and bacon, 12 ga, pellet gun, yellow jackets, gun powder, 22 shells, chain link fence, secure warehouse (love that one), motion sensor lights or sprinkler, car alarm, cattle fence wire, police, parents, urishol oil, dogs, cameras, dyes, skunk spray, and the EPA. This thread is a hoot.

Rock salt from a 12 ga.

I gat a load in the rear end in a watermelon patch hear in Alabama. Dam it hurt I did not go back to that patch again.

The thing that we kid’s used to do.

:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:
Rock salt from a 12 ga.

I gat a load in the rear end in a watermelon patch hear in Alabama. Dam it hurt I did not go back to that patch again.

The thing that we kid’s used to do.

I hear ya cornbread,
I got caught too.
Stealing pumpkins.
They had the rock salt loaded also.
Luckily, we were somewhat of good neighbors.
So he didn't shoot.
Crappin my pants was bad enuf.... :(

:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

Finally, that pumpkin smiley can be used...

:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

I hear ya cornbread,
I got caught too.
Stealing pumpkins.
They had the rock salt loaded also.
Luckily, we were somewhat of good neighbors.
So he didn't shoot.
Crappin my pants was bad enuf.... :(

:pumpkin2: :pumpkin2: :pumpkin2:

Finally, that pumpkin smiley can be used...

I wonder if SAP would like some pics ????
:laugh:

I am bustin a gut here you guys. Let's see, a wheel barrow full of wood gets stolen. And we have: yellin, screamin, grenades, hangin, poison ivy, rocksalt and bacon, 12 ga, pellet gun, yellow jackets, gun powder, 22 shells, chain link fence, secure warehouse (love that one), motion sensor lights or sprinkler, car alarm, cattle fence wire, police, parents, urishol oil, dogs, cameras, dyes, skunk spray, and the EPA. This thread is a hoot.

You forgot armed guard.:hmm3grin2orange:

You don't like the warehousing of firewood for security purposes?? Whats wrong with that ?? It works for us !

You don't like the warehousing of firewood for security purposes?? Whats wrong with that ?? It works for us !

I was picturing joe homeowner yelling to his wife: I'll be right back honey, gotta run across town to the warehouse and get some firewood for tonight. Or maybe a farmer growing his watermelons in a warehouse so they don't get cooned. Kind of funny stuff.

What is everyone here going to do to protect their gas tanks when the guys with the hoses decide $4 is just to much to pay? Gunpowder probably won't be a good idea there. Maybe a warehouse for the car and truck?

What is everyone here going to do to protect their gas tanks when the guys with the hoses decide $4 is just to much to pay? Gunpowder probably won't be a good idea there. Maybe a warehouse for the car and truck?

Locking gas caps with a 12 ga. backup.

A thief is a thief. If they will steal from you when they are destitute, they will steal from you when their flush.
The way I see it, anytime someone steals something from me, they have taken something from me that I have worked hard for. I take it seriously, and so do the thiefs I have caught, now.

That being said, I am a giver. If a person ask for something they really need, they can usually have it to use, or to keep.

Andy

A thief is a thief. If they will steal from you when they are destitute, they will steal from you when their flush.
The way I see it, anytime someone steals something from me, they have taken something from me that I have worked hard for. I take it seriously, and so do the thiefs I have caught, now.

That being said, I am a giver. If a person ask for something they really need, they can usually have it to use, or to keep.

Andy

I hear you, I would rather give someone A FRANKLIN THAN HAVE THEM STEAL A HAMILTON.

The way I see it, anytime someone steals something from me, they have taken something from me that I have worked hard for. I take it seriously, and so do the thiefs I have caught, now. Andy

Yeah, all kidding aside, theft is not cool when it happens. I feel sorry for people who live in the cities. The den of thieves. Out here in the boonies we have very little trouble with theft. I try my best to stay out of the city. Problem is, if we actually punished criminals we would have a lot less crime. Chain gangs comes to mind.

Latest posts

Back