firewood too wet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman39

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For some reason my firewood didnt season very well this year and it wont burn. Is there anything i can do to help it burn? I put a big fan on the half a rick i keep in my garage.

Get a hotter fire.

I have some that is a little to wet, I throw a few pieces in when I have a hot fire going.

ya, I got some good dry mulberry at my mom and dads im going to mix with the cherry to get a better burn! I guess it just a little to wet!

If you are burning indoors, can you stack a few days worth next to the stove and rotate it everyday? I was amazed at how much moisture could be drawn out of splits in a few days when sitting next to a 500* stove that is running 24/7.

Wet in the hoosier state this year. If you want dry firewood it better have some sort of protection from the rain. Those that say tarps hold in moisture should come and check my woodpiles. I've got tarps from the grain elevator that they cover piles of corn and throw away in the spring. I don't know what they're made of they are black on one side and white on the other and must have a UV treatment of some kind. I think mine are 5+ years old and still going strong. The china tarps they sell everywhere are pure junk and not worth a rats rear.

If you are burning indoors, can you stack a few days worth next to the stove and rotate it everyday? I was amazed at how much moisture could be drawn out of splits in a few days when sitting next to a 500* stove that is running 24/7.
as well as the use of a dehumidifier(sp) .... they work wonders next to a pile of wet wood drying along a hot stove/furnace.

ya, think im going to biuld a little firewood shelter for the fall so my wood wont get rained on because its just two wet. Thanks for the help guys!

Hmmm.. I have heard this somewhere before.... ;)

I've done it over the years, and it works very well. Making stacks and lining them around the stove in a semi-circle is the way to go. Dries it right out.
Cherry should dry out especially quick. In my experience it is one of the quicker woods to dry.

Unless you've got a heated garage, I would bring as much of the wood inside your house as your space ( spouse... ) will allow. At this point you want to put it in the lowest humidity environment that you can, and usually that means inside the house ( next to your stove if possible, up near the ceiling if you can ). You'll find plenty of good methods for storing it outside during the year on here, the basics are keep it stacked, covered on top, and allow for good airflow.

I typically bring about 1/2 cord inside during the burning season and rotate it so I've always got dry wood ready to go. I live in a high humidity environment so this is necessary for me even if my wood has been seasoned/covered for years - the wood just absorbs water from the air and never gets fully dry, especially in the winter.

Unless you've got a heated garage, I would bring as much of the wood inside your house as your space ( spouse... ) will allow. At this point you want to put it in the lowest humidity environment that you can, and usually that means inside the house ( next to your stove if possible, up near the ceiling if you can ). You'll find plenty of good methods for storing it outside during the year on here, the basics are keep it stacked, covered on top, and allow for good airflow.

I typically bring about 1/2 cord inside during the burning season and rotate it so I've always got dry wood ready to go. I live in a high humidity environment so this is necessary for me even if my wood has been seasoned/covered for years - the wood just absorbs water from the air and never gets fully dry, especially in the winter.

Yes, wish my garage was heated! Ican store about 12 sticks on the fire place. Think ill make room for more! Thanks for the help!

Back