firewood tumbler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logger450

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a firewood tumbler and I want to do away with the infeed conveyor. I would like to build a hopper and dump the firewood in the hopper with my skidsteer. Does anyone else here do it like that?

The processor guys here likely need pics of the setup you have so they have an idea of what you want to do or how to tell you if it will work or not. Custom made tumbler or one we can see online pics of? How do you plan to get the wood from the hopper to the tumbler? Or do you have a high dump skid steer?

I have the tumbler set into the bank with a ramp up to it. It is custom built but it is built to multitek specs. I am having trouble uploading pics

Nice setup.

Do you get that much junk out of wood? I get maybe 1/2 a wheelbarrow a cord so fairly minimal.

I spilt it a year in advance. The bark falls off during that time and it can get pretty messy inside the wood pile. I then scoop it up with a rock bucket on my skidsteer. Nothing gets thru the tumbler but clean wood. My customers love it and always complain about other guys wood being to dirty.

Would love to get one. But the $$cost and I don't think the neighbors would like the noise

Actually I live on the end of a dead end road with a 1000 ft driveway. Not many neighbors to worry about.

I spilt it a year in advance. The bark falls off during that time and it can get pretty messy inside the wood pile. I then scoop it up with a rock bucket on my skidsteer. Nothing gets thru the tumbler but clean wood. My customers love it and always complain about other guys wood being to dirty.

All my wood gets stacked so the junk doesn't go with it.

Surrounded by a huge gravel pit/operation (they load like 60+ railcars cars 2-3 a day) and a few hundred acre arm on the other side. I could cut wood at 2am if I wanted and no one would care.

You guys are lucky!!!

I got good neighbors. but I still want to keep them happy

Looks like another hay elevator under the tumbler would save you some skid steer time. The hopper is going to have to be pretty high to feed the inlet side of the tumbler. I would think you are still going to need some type of infeed conveyor to get the splits into the tumbler. Splits might jamb up in the hopper and I would think you kind of want them to "sprinkle" into the tumbler and not a bucketful at a time? I'm thinking the hopper might take a lot of designing and tweeking to get right. Will cold or wet weather affect how the splits slide into the tumbler? Maybe line it with plastic or maybe just use and old gravel truck box? A cheap guy like me would just put an old manure spreader in front of the tumbler and use the chain floor on it to load the tumbler. Corn silage wagon with moving floor?

Latest posts

Back