Firewood vending machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went over and watched the one in the National Park Campground last night. It sold almost 50 bundles in a little over 2 hours. Everyone who was using it liked the idea, seems that last year they never knew if the firewood seller would show up or not.

Went over and watched the one in the National Park Campground last night. It sold almost 50 bundles in a little over 2 hours. Everyone who was using it liked the idea, seems that last year they never knew if the firewood seller would show up or not.

Did you notice how many bundles they were buying per purchase?

Most seemed to be one. They are pretty good sized and carrying two would take a good sized guy. Some people drove their car over and whey seemed to bet 2 more often.

Sounds to me like a waste of technology. We can make a vending machine that spits out firewood, we can put a man on the moon, you would think we could find a way to cap an oil well before it kills whats left of our envirroment.

That reminds me, I need to go cut more wood,ALOT MORE WOOD"

Got one of mine out this Summer in a good roadside location at a visitor center but it was a dismal failure. It seems that they need to be in a campground to work, people on foot will take the time to figure out what they're looking at. I talked to one campground who admits it's a cool idea but also pointed out that they don't like the idea of their drunk campers having access to firewood at 1am.

While I'm licking my wounds I'm sandblasting the things so I can paint them up nicer and put some better signage on them. I was frequently asked why I was trying to sell firewood in July, it needs to specifically state that it's full of campwood bundles.

I also had to scrounge up 12 volt sensor switches because the 45 watt solar panels wouldn't keep up with the draw from a 3000 watt inverter running all the time, now it only kicks on when someone approaches the bill changer.

I'm looking for a spot to park them for the Winter now which is a different market altogether but at least I'll have fresh paint, I think a lot of people who've gotten screwed by a soda machine weren't going to shove a $5 bill into a rusty shipping container.

There's my report, I hope some of you others had better luck with yours.

I have a friend who used to supply ice to one of the bigger State Parks here in Michigan. They went through about 8000 bags a year. I would think that firewood sales would be about the same. At that rate you would pay the machine off pretty fast. Every year the park had trouble keeping a dealer. During the week when it was slower they didn't want to spend the money to staff it, on the weekends they couldn't find people that wanted to work Fri/Sat evening. Using the vending machine would seem to solve those problems.

Woodsplitr, what do you think of an Ice Vending Machine at a State Park? Something like this (attached)View attachment 199744View attachment 199745 that would be available to campers 24/7.

Interesting comment Guswhit....I need work on my imogee translations. Looks like havsawilltravl gave up on posting here in April....I guess I will never know how he fared. Oh well, I will keep trolling

Just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn waiting for a response. I am interested in these machines, especially the cost.

Ah....that is what I thought but I do not think we will get an answer....from his final posts it looks like he bought the machines and then tried to find a park to place them and ran into some objections. The machines he bought were very expensive and limited in mobility and what they could dispense....There have been a lot of changes in the last 7 years that can make them better, lighter, mobile and cheaper but I do not want to run afoul of the administrators here and identify any non sponsored machinery or business models.....message me and I give you a link

Can't seem to figure out how to send private messages. I can do the popcorn man, but can't figure that out!

Good point.....can't figure it out either....IM must be in another forum site...... so in hopes of not offending the administrators you can google my posting handle or outdoor vending solutions and see what I am talking about

I've been darn busy with bundles this year. I've sold about 500 just so far this month, so around 150/week.

I have the shop which is open during the day and a bin outside. Pics are on my camera inguess, best one I had on my phone...

20170531_193257.jpg

Big thing I'm trying to figure is how to accept credit cards, like a DIY swiper. I can do them if I'm around, but it's not DIY. I've thought of mounting a cheap tablet in the bin, but I dunno.

Hey Valley, We had talked about this but I keep putting it on the back burner.....If my software developer ever has a spare second I can have him write a simple program to square you away....I would not solve any shrinkage issues but a simple number pad....the customer selects how many bundles they want the program multiplies (and adds tax if appropriate) they swipe their card and go

I use a POS system that is out door rated and the swipe charges are @.5% plus 10 cents for each swipe (credit card and debit) plus $7.95 a month for the back office and processing.....It is 3G telemetry and with power supply costs about #25 plus shipping

$5 ea, buy 4 get one free ($20 for 5).

I use Square, it's 2.75%. I did sign up for EMS, they are 2.25% I think.

Let me know. I looked into a few scanners, but they were $$. I even considered setting up an ATM.

I was thinking of a Kindle Fire ($60) and just having Square open, but there's no way to block out Square so someone couldn't get into the settings.
The setup you are talking about for $25, can it talk to Square?

I do have it so people can pay through my website, but it's yet to be used. I think it's too much of a PITA vs a swiper/scanner... pick QTY, swipe, done.

Sorry,

typo $325 not #25

Your idea would work and there should be a way to lock the screen so they cannot get into it......but being outdoors the Kindle would likely not stand up to the weather

Back