Firewood Volume (Again)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the answer in in the actual weight of the wood. The weight of the stack should be heavier if there are less air gaps.
You would have to use dry wood so the weight doesn't drift due to moisture differences in wood that is not dry.

I like the picture of nickles and dimes on a card. In both cases, all the rounds are exactly the same size, so the amount of wood space is exactly 3.14/4 leaving 21.5% air. (Area of a circle versus area of a square with the same width) This ratio is NOT affected by the size of the round - if all the rounds are the same diameter the air space is always 21.5%.

As soon as you start to mix sizes, the percentage of air decreases as the small rounds fit into the gaps between the large rounds. The more variability, the more nesting and the less air space.

Split wood which is "tightly stacked" has even less air space - given that the split pieces can be rotated such that they nest together.
You can get much tighter stacking (more wood, less air) if you have a good mix of large and small sized pieces and a good stacker.

The answer may be in here but I haven't read through it yet to see if the answer in here or not, Google it!
http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4441e.pdf

Or maybe here.
https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/publications/pnw_gtr364/pnw_gtr364a.pdf
Those downloads are cool.. How come they're all written in a different language? I'm kidding, but I still didn't understand a word or equation I read..I think the majority of us are middle of the road people. In-between 'looks like a cord", and " book says it's cord". Maybe call us/me the " practical cord producing people ". Maybe " common sense cord cutters ". Those name tags are nicer than most given to me. But for the sake of argument, maybe this is why we have" long cords" or " face cords". And the costumers " short cord". Asin..you gave me a short cord. I'm babbling now..I will peruse the downloads and have somebody splain it to me, but for now I'm outta this discussion. I feel we have kicked this horse long enough. Cheers. K

I like the picture of nickles and dimes on a card. In both cases, all the rounds are exactly the same size, so the amount of wood space is exactly 3.14/4 leaving 21.5% air. (Area of a circle versus area of a square with the same width) This ratio is NOT affected by the size of the round - if all the rounds are the same diameter the air space is always 21.5%.

As soon as you start to mix sizes, the percentage of air decreases as the small rounds fit into the gaps between the large rounds. The more variability, the more nesting and the less air space.

Split wood which is "tightly stacked" has even less air space - given that the split pieces can be rotated such that they nest together.
You can get much tighter stacking (more wood, less air) if you have a good mix of large and small sized pieces and a good stacker.

Sorry Big in the real world incorrect all the way around. In thousands of cords and loads that particular theory has never proved to be the case. Rounds of wood packed into a truck always proves to take up less space than once it is split because there is more air space between each piece of wood. The ratio changes a bit if the rounds are all small which would indicate a less dramatic change, but never more wood in a smaller space. If you think incorrect get your camera out and try to pack some wood in a smaller space. If you work hard you might come close, but best of luck. Thanks

Latest posts

Back