first carving ever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice,:clap: I do like the profile shape. You should be able to detail out a very nice little bear from that. What setup are you using for a detail saw?

Last edited:
Welcome to AS. Cool first carving. I've just started too. Time consuming to start off with isn't it !!??!!

haven't really got a detail saw at all and I don't really know what to use. I need to put in eyes and stuff but not real sure how to finish it

I'm on the puna side of the big island. It's a gunpowder tree stump. not very good wood but since it was my first try I figured what the hell

I'm on the puna side of the big island. It's a gunpowder tree stump. not very good wood but since it was my first try I figured what the hell

I live up in Waimea. I've never seen that kind of wood. Most of the woods I work with are pretty hard for carving. I go down to Ocean View to cut Ohia but rarely get over to your area. It's good to see someone from the Big Island on this site.

hey pastryguyhawaii,
The gunpowder tree is actually a weed tree. they grow like crazy down in lower puna. actually up around hilo too. I had one that I needed to take out cause it was shading out some fruit trees. It's not very good wood to carve I don't think but I don't really have any comparison. I am going to try my hand at a eucaliptis next.
:greenchainsaw::spam:

Back