First Chainbrake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
452vl with a chainbrake

Acres says this echo 452vl was made from 79-83 with no brake. I was told this one was purchased in 81 or 82, and the brake was added soon after purchase. Maybe 81-83? This brake might be a rare item?

My 1979 Stihl 032 has a chain brake but I think it was optional. I have a same year homelite super ez with no chain brake. Is there anything online about the history of chain brakes?

I believe this 1967 "Solo 611" was the first with a chain brake

2Medium2.jpg

It also had a clear fuel tank, AV & electronic ignition

Nope, I disagree,,,,,the best safety feature when operating ANY dangerous equipment including chainsaws is a good respect for the power they have and the danger that they represent. Guards, chainbrakes or anything else are absolutely usless if the operator is oblivous to the hazards that the equipment poses to them.

Bob

What you are referring to is the best safety feature of an operator. It's precisely because a saw has no self awareness that it cannot have any respect.
Other safety features of an operator are not using a saw when overly tired, not running a blunt saw etc

One of the best safety features of a CS itself is still the chain brake.

Nope - I'm not a lawyer. :hmm3grin2orange:

Nope, I disagree,,,,,the best safety feature when operating ANY dangerous equipment including chainsaws is a good respect for the power they have and the danger that they represent. Guards, chainbrakes or anything else are absolutely usless if the operator is oblivous to the hazards that the equipment poses to them.

Bob

:rolleyes:

Bob

I certainly won't disagree that respect for a chainsaw is important, especially combined with training, experience, & common sense. Having "good respect for the power they have and the danger they represent" if fine, but that alone won't prevent accidents with chainsaws. And let's not forget that even seasoned sawyers sometimes have experiences where the safety equipment on the chainsaw is very useful.

"Guards, chainbrakes or anything else are..." actually most useful when "...the operator is oblivous to the hazards that the equipment poses to them."

I know im going to get a lot of crap for this but chain brakes are required on all saws these days because they keep both idiots and professionals safe. Osha was put in place to keep people safe and it has worked. Industry standards were put in place to keep people safe and you still see people ripping off there chain brakes because "it gets in the way". Thats bull and if anybody uses that excuse they should not be in this industry. Im sorry but this is 2010 and our saws are faster, more powerful and much SAFER then they used to be. Stop living in the BAD OLD DAYS!!!!

Acres says this echo 452vl was made from 79-83 with no brake. I was told this one was purchased in 81 or 82, and the brake was added soon after purchase. Maybe 81-83? This brake might be a rare item?

It was a dealer installed option i see the numbers in the parts lists and thats how its listed. I never put any on and no one ever asked for one to be installed but that was a long time ago...Bob

Loads of response! i was not expecting so much.

Just interested in a bit of history.

Looking at some of the videos on this site and the comments here it looks like lots of you guys dont like them or like wearing ppe...?

Stihl claims,

STIHL "Firsts" Include
Automatic chain oiling, centrifugal clutch, chain braking system, electronic ignition system, single-lever Master Control Lever™, anti-vibration system, QCA (Quick Chain Adjuster system), side-access chain adjustment, ElastoStart™ system, Ematic™ System, world's quietest gasoline-powered chain saw (at the time, 1996), auger brake, STIHL 4-MIX® 2-stroke/4-stroke engine, STIHL Easy2Start™ dual-spring starting mechanism, dual chain braking system, Intelligent Engine Management (IEM).

TT

Stihl claims,

STIHL "Firsts" Include
Automatic chain oiling, centrifugal clutch, chain braking system, electronic ignition system, single-lever Master Control Lever™, anti-vibration system, QCA (Quick Chain Adjuster system), side-access chain adjustment, ElastoStart™ system, Ematic™ System, world's quietest gasoline-powered chain saw (at the time, 1996), auger brake, STIHL 4-MIX® 2-stroke/4-stroke engine, STIHL Easy2Start™ dual-spring starting mechanism, dual chain braking system, Intelligent Engine Management (IEM).

TT

That's an impressive list of "Firsts" do you know the models and years of these Stihl "Firsts" Automatic chain oiling, centrifugal clutch, chain braking system, electronic ignition system,?

I know that the McCulloch pm 605 610 and 650 had chain brakes on them and they were from 1983 to 1989 and they worked

That's an impressive list of "Firsts" do you know the models and years of these Stihl "Firsts" Automatic chain oiling, centrifugal clutch, chain braking system, electronic ignition system,?

No, I just copied and pasted from Stihl's web-site.

TT

In the real world...

Automatic chain oiling,GOOD.

centrifugal clutch,GOOD.

chain braking system,GOOD.

electronic ignition system,GOOD.

single-lever Master Control Lever™, GARBAGE.

anti-vibration system, GOOD.

QCA (Quick Chain Adjuster system), GARBAGE.

side-access chain adjustment, BIG DEAL.

ElastoStart™ system,GARBAGE.

Ematic™ System,GARBAGE.

world's quietest gasoline-powered chain saw (at the time, 1996),GARBAGE.

auger brake,GARBAGE.

STIHL 4-MIX® 2-stroke/4-stroke engine,GARBAGE.

STIHL Easy2Start™ dual-spring starting mechanism,GARBAGE.

dual chain braking system,GARBAGE.

Intelligent Engine Management (IEM). GARBAGE.

In the real world...

Automatic chain oiling,GOOD.

centrifugal clutch,GOOD.

chain braking system,GOOD.

electronic ignition system,GOOD.

single-lever Master Control Lever™, GARBAGE.

anti-vibration system, GOOD.

QCA (Quick Chain Adjuster system), GARBAGE.

side-access chain adjustment, BIG DEAL.

ElastoStart™ system,GARBAGE.

Ematic™ System,GARBAGE.

world's quietest gasoline-powered chain saw (at the time, 1996),GARBAGE.

auger brake,GARBAGE.

STIHL 4-MIX® 2-stroke/4-stroke engine,GARBAGE.

STIHL Easy2Start™ dual-spring starting mechanism,GARBAGE.

dual chain braking system,GARBAGE.

Intelligent Engine Management (IEM). GARBAGE.

LOL, all the reasons Stihl kicks the rest sqaure in the azz where it counts, not in BS but sales, yes where the money is, too funny. You must be a fan of those "other" less desireable brands,LOLOL

I believe this 1967 "Solo 611" was the first with a chain brake

2Medium2.jpg

It also had a clear fuel tank, AV & electronic ignition

So unless someone else has any pre-67 brake info, there is no need for any additional posts.

Tony

They came into being when large numbers of gays started using chainsaws.
We ran saws without them for YEARS and when we screwed up, we learned!
I don't have a problem with them but I likewise have no problem running saws without them.
It gives me an impression of a persons character when I see or hear someone say "Oh, that saw is nice but it doesn't have a chainbrake"!!!

Mike

They came into being when large numbers of gays started using chainsaws.
We ran saws without them for YEARS and when we screwed up, we learned!
I don't have a problem with them but I likewise have no problem running saws without them.
It gives me an impression of a persons character when I see or hear someone say "Oh, that saw is nice but it doesn't have a chainbrake"!!!

Mike

I'm with you Mike, I get an idea of a persons charactor too when they hate the chain brake, tends to tell me they aren't the brightest apple in the cart. Think about it, only a dumbazz would rather get sawed open in the face by a moving chain during a kickback than smacked in the face by a locked chain thanks to a chain brake. The chain brake is by far one of if not the very best things that ever happened to a chainsaw....

Back