First Climb ever Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i do conifer removals in ohio (80 ft. not 200 ft. like out west) i spike up and clear branches and chunk it on the way down and don't bother with a tie in. i like being tied in too and never spike a trim, but i don't see the big deal if you know the risks going into it. i think the tie in is great advice for a newbie though. lean back and point your toes down! i've never kicked out both spikes at the same time, and if i ever did maybe i'd change my tune. i do however kick in deep when i make a cut and although i do not own a wire core i would use one if i did while making a cut. all that said, i've been doing this for a while and maybe i'm a little complacent.

you guys can chew me out now, i probably deserve it!

Ok Spikes, kill trees! or is that only my opinion?

Ive been told that spikes are a big no no, unless you are Dismantling and then Felling the tree? this is because the spikes cut through to the cambium layer and damage or kill parts of it, also they leave an open wound therefor leaving an opening for pests and diseases ect . to enter.

that's right. use spikes on removals only. occasionally, (once a year or so...) it is necessary to bend the rule. removing dead tops when there isn't a safe tie in might be an example. even then, just cause your wearing them doesn't mean you spike the whole tree. i've been certified for a while so i know the rules-but nowadays my safety comes before some declining silver maple that only has a few more years left anyway!

My turn, my turn!!

First, points for going up that high on your first climb, big saw, chain for a lanyard, whew! If you like it, follow it up, read and discuss, learn more and have fun & good luck.

For the future:
-Get a good sit harness...Waaaay more comfortable than just a waist strap (unless I didn't see it right)
-Get a second lanyard and a climbing line...two tie ins every time you cut, and lanyard in the second one as you pass the branches. Never be unattached at any time...we are takling to a beginner (climber) here!
-You need a line that will reach the ground, essential IF something goes wrong and you need to get down in a hurry, and sooo much easier for your final descent.
-If you gaff out up there, with just the one lanyard on your side D rings you will be heading for the bargain basement, non stop, unless your face, chin, double arm death grip or the lanyard hooking a lucky stub somehow arrest your losing fight with gravity. That hurts by the way...
- crossing your lanyard helps, or a second lanyard on the centre D will arrest a fall.
- General rule of thumb...but open for alteration as the situation dictates...spikes for dismantling, no spikes for pruning.
-For pruning, set a high line or double lanyard/climb line your way up to a high tie in...then work the tree.

'kay, said enough now:givebeer:

Great post by Bermie, that woman knows her stuff!

OK Donny, you got me, wrong site. But Mr. McKee agreed, which is all that counts. Unless the mods here write me up for daring to mistakenly mention that another site exists.

Ssshhhh.....:censored:

Alright, dammit! I am going to oregon and going to get B set up and on his way. the first chance I get, next slow spell, I am on my way! I have been looking for a reason to go out there and climb a big damm tree. B check you private messages. The hooktenders aren't going to know what to do with themselves when we are finished.

What I don't understand is how a thread like this one has been allowed to stay in the Commercial Arborist section as long as it has.

Just what is the purpose of the Arborist 101 section?

A real head scratcher for some I guess!

jomoco

What I don't understand is how a thread like this one has been allowed to stay in the Commercial Arborist section as long as it has.

Just what is the purpose of the Arborist 101 section?

A real head scratcher for some I guess!

jomoco

He's got a whole climb under his belt, come on jomoco ..... :ices_rofl:

Well he didn't have two lanyards and that crap clearance spouted out made me have to read it twice. That was just nonsense I don't care who you are.

Everything I said is true. You only need one steel core lanyard to climb with, by law, in this province. Fact. It is done by many, every day, for years and years. For at least 100 years, when the towers were wood and the men were steel.

As far as the things some others said, whatever, the only thing I will not argue is spurring trees, its not good for them, I was convinced by people on this site of that but I do it.

Again there Buddy, way to go. Good 1st climb.

Way to go was the point. I don't spike unless its a takedown either. I use a top rope or atleast have one for my descent. I use wirecore fliplines. I also know that a real timbercutter can do it our way and drop a tree into a 2 foot gap GAURANTEED for $100 that a tree dude would charge $600 plus for. That means a lot to a poor little old lady. Then you take your $200 tips and buy some tree gear, for pruning jobs, etc. One step at a time. Surely some of you all recognize the gear obsesson. if thats your gig, ok, but minimalist is respectable. Spurring pruning jobs, not perfect, but its REAL. Notice- chaps. Chaps = intelligent.

Aw, just lace up your docs and strap on your hooks. Spur climbing is fun and fast.
Rough bark trees can take it. Smooth bark trees can't.

Back