First day advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up, look up, but don't forget to look down. Watch your footing.

Immerse yourself in tree care knowledge.

Eat right: meat, vegetables, and fresh fruit. Drink water and pure fruit juice. Don't get sucked into worthless power drinks/bars and fast food. Stay away from pop, it's hazardous waste. Take a vitamin supplements and GET YOUR REST. I don't care if you are 19, it's a good habit and it will pay off. You shouldn't have any trouble sleeping if you are really working. (Unless it's 4AM and your itching to get to work. How many jobs can you say that about??)

Get up early and eat a real breakfast.

Positive attitude. Check?

Good fuel for the mind and body will pay off.

I've heard all good things here so far..just adding my two cents. It's how this 34 year old works circles around young men 10-15 years younger. If you follow the recommendations just think how well you'll do at 19. Fatigue can be a dangerous enemy....it is nice to have plenty left at the end of the fourth quarter, especially if you have to head into overtime.

Always be prepared...for anything. Anything will come.

Good call joining this site, you are already ahead of the game.

Speaking of game....Always keep your head in it....leave the freaking cell phone in the cab!

This is a contact sport...wear your gear. Get a good folding hand saw. I recommend a Silky. Don't ask, you're likely to find out why. Handiest saw I have.

(Man, what I'd do to be 19 heading into all this.) :)

Good Luck, God Bless, and enjoy. Thou hast entered an honorable profession, that needs all the smart young Americans it can get.

Alright......I'm done, for now.:popcorn:
What about a 45 year old out working the youth opps I did
not eat right but still can make a young boy cry! Anyway
good advice and I am starting to eat better and wish I had
got into the regimen at a earlier date,Dam? fast food is too
convenient for the workin man! Hey a new country song :laugh:

Welcome to one of the most dangerous industries on the planet. Keep that in your head at all times. Nothing to add that has not been said, always look up before, during and sometimes even after the job is complete. Always be aware of your surroundings, always keep an eye on the equipment, things do grow legs and vanish in certain areas. Paying attention is the most important item in this industry, a moment of inattention changes lives. good luck and be careful.

A few things i don't agree with here. The first week on the job, you need to see how your crew works and follow their lead. Every crew is different. For example, my crew doesn't take a lunch. You can bring a lunch, but if you are sitting down when the rest of us are working, it's not gonna earn you any brownie points. And stay away from my chipper with the grease gun until i teach you how to do it. I'm actually a bigger fan of someone who on their first week asks "what needs to be done next?" You have no idea-it's a waste of time to just pick up a rake and go to town when we are still going to be dragging brush over the area. Ask, odds are i'll have something for you to do-initiative is great but you need to know what actually needs to be done first. Of course, after the first week, i'll start expecting you to know enough to start showing some initiative. Here are some things i expect or tell guys their first couple weeks with me-like i said, every crew is different.

Show up on time or even a little early-mega brownie points with me.

Show up dressed to work-shorts and sneakers will get you sent home.

Bring extra gloves, coat, hoodie, etc. I'll be glad to let you borrow my gloves now and then, but don't make a habit of it. The rest of my stuff won't fit you-you get wet 9am and you're gonna stay wet the rest of the day.

Bring a pair of tinted safety glasses-you are gonna be doing alot of looking up.

Keep the whining to a minimum. A couple "it's a cold one today, isn't it?" in the yard at the start of the day is fine. If you keep bringing up the temp, by 3pm, i'm gonna kick your ass-i know it's cold, i'm out in it with you, and frankly i'm tired of being reminded that i'm an idiot for being out in the cold.:) And if i hear any variation of the "climbing looks easy, can I do it to get of ground work?" and you'll be on the ground the rest of your career on my crew. Of course, whining is fine if you just ripped off a fingernail, or one of your brand new gloves just went through the chipper. Just don't keep harping on it.

Don't touch my saws till i deem you worthy. After a few weeks, if you seem to have a brain cell or two, i'll let you fill the gas and oil.

Make sure you know how the stihl caps work.

Learn and practice the proper way to tie a pole or a saw onto a rope for a climber to haul up. The knot come undone at 30 feet and you are not gonna like my reaction.

Click the locks closed on my poles when putting them away.

Treat my equipment decently. Using it is fine, using it hard isn't even a problem. Abuse it though, and i will abuse you.

Asking how something is done is great. Asking how something is done to kill time and get out of a job i just gave you is not so great. Giving an opinion will get you lumped up.

Asking how something is done for the tenth time will cause me to start wondering if the boss is hiring out of the special ed classes.

Until you prove to me differently, my grcs is more valuable than you. If you see a limb headed for it, it's time to sacrifice your body. I'll let you know when you become more valuable than the grcs.

NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER. NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER. NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER.

Don't coil my ropes. Even if there are six of them lying around and you want to help, trust me, don't. The rat's nest most newbs end up with can become a headache.

I yell headache, don't just stand there looking up at me. MOVE. Odds are something big is gonna land right where you are standing.

Keep walking under a tree when my saw is running, and i will drop something on you. It will start small, but i once had a groundie who didn't learn till i topped a skinny little maple out on top of him. (He was fine, the top was all bush and leaves. But he learned his lesson.)

If i see your foot off the ground anywhere in the vicinity of the chipper feed chute (i.e. pushing something into the feed wheels with your foot) you will be fired.

If you have to take a dump, be prepared to bare your butt in the chip box. I'll supply toilet paper, but i ain't gonna run you to the nearest store to use the bathroom.

Be prepared to work odd hours. You are not gonna get back to the yard every day at 3. You'll get back to the yard when the job is done or it's too dark.

Start slow-master dragging brush and i'll move you on. I'm not gonna teach you to run a rope your first day on the job so don't even ask. You gotta prove yourself.

Learn how to spot hangers, especially on trim jobs.

Hope this helps a bit. Remember, you are low man on the totem pole. Every other guy on the crew knows more than you, so don't show up with a chip on your shoulder or the job will be hell. Good luck.

What about a 45 year old out working the youth opps I did
not eat right but still can make a young boy cry! Anyway
good advice and I am starting to eat better and wish I had
got into the regimen at a earlier date,Dam? fast food is too
convenient for the workin man! Hey a new country song :laugh:

"My heros have always been cowboys...." ;)

I fueled with fast food for years. When I found out that most of it isn't really even food, I switched to premium. Alot of it comes down to raw ethic, drive and determination. The real food helps make it look easy, enough to get my younger crew looking into making the same decisions. Ya can only get lapped so long before ya start trying to figure out what the other guy is doing. :)

Brian, bet school's starting to sound pretty good about now, isn't it? Just think 40 years of eatting sawdust and smelling like chainsaw fuel and pine pitch stuck to everything, just doesn't get any better than that! :cry:

Whereas Clearance stated things succintly, Beowulf's was so funny that I could barely read the computer screen for laughing so hard! But how true!!
Remember, these are the good guys helping you out. :buttkick:

You're going to love this line of work. :greenchainsaw:

D Mc

Welcome to the site. use your eyes and your ears the most, unless you have a question to ask.

Follow directions, work hard, and you will do well pilgrim!

My advice besides all the good advise already given, don't come to work hung over and don't do drugs. There is no place for that crap in this line of work, but ironically you will find it prevalent in some places. Stay away from that sh#t, eat and drink healthy and it will put you ahead of a lot of guys quick. You want to see a man on drugs, look for the guy that is shaky, unstable and about as sharp as a basketball.

A few things i don't agree with here. The first week on the job, you need to see how your crew works and follow their lead. Every crew is different. For example, my crew doesn't take a lunch. You can bring a lunch, but if you are sitting down when the rest of us are working, it's not gonna earn you any brownie points. And stay away from my chipper with the grease gun until i teach you how to do it. I'm actually a bigger fan of someone who on their first week asks "what needs to be done next?" You have no idea-it's a waste of time to just pick up a rake and go to town when we are still going to be dragging brush over the area. Ask, odds are i'll have something for you to do-initiative is great but you need to know what actually needs to be done first. Of course, after the first week, i'll start expecting you to know enough to start showing some initiative. Here are some things i expect or tell guys their first couple weeks with me-like i said, every crew is different.

Show up on time or even a little early-mega brownie points with me.

Show up dressed to work-shorts and sneakers will get you sent home.

Bring extra gloves, coat, hoodie, etc. I'll be glad to let you borrow my gloves now and then, but don't make a habit of it. The rest of my stuff won't fit you-you get wet 9am and you're gonna stay wet the rest of the day.

Bring a pair of tinted safety glasses-you are gonna be doing alot of looking up.

Keep the whining to a minimum. A couple "it's a cold one today, isn't it?" in the yard at the start of the day is fine. If you keep bringing up the temp, by 3pm, i'm gonna kick your ass-i know it's cold, i'm out in it with you, and frankly i'm tired of being reminded that i'm an idiot for being out in the cold.:) And if i hear any variation of the "climbing looks easy, can I do it to get of ground work?" and you'll be on the ground the rest of your career on my crew. Of course, whining is fine if you just ripped off a fingernail, or one of your brand new gloves just went through the chipper. Just don't keep harping on it.

Don't touch my saws till i deem you worthy. After a few weeks, if you seem to have a brain cell or two, i'll let you fill the gas and oil.

Make sure you know how the stihl caps work.

Learn and practice the proper way to tie a pole or a saw onto a rope for a climber to haul up. The knot come undone at 30 feet and you are not gonna like my reaction.

Click the locks closed on my poles when putting them away.

Treat my equipment decently. Using it is fine, using it hard isn't even a problem. Abuse it though, and i will abuse you.

Asking how something is done is great. Asking how something is done to kill time and get out of a job i just gave you is not so great. Giving an opinion will get you lumped up.

Asking how something is done for the tenth time will cause me to start wondering if the boss is hiring out of the special ed classes.

Until you prove to me differently, my grcs is more valuable than you. If you see a limb headed for it, it's time to sacrifice your body. I'll let you know when you become more valuable than the grcs.

NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER. NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER. NO ROAD RAKINGS THROUGH MY CHIPPER.

Don't coil my ropes. Even if there are six of them lying around and you want to help, trust me, don't. The rat's nest most newbs end up with can become a headache.

I yell headache, don't just stand there looking up at me. MOVE. Odds are something big is gonna land right where you are standing.

Keep walking under a tree when my saw is running, and i will drop something on you. It will start small, but i once had a groundie who didn't learn till i topped a skinny little maple out on top of him. (He was fine, the top was all bush and leaves. But he learned his lesson.)

If i see your foot off the ground anywhere in the vicinity of the chipper feed chute (i.e. pushing something into the feed wheels with your foot) you will be fired.

If you have to take a dump, be prepared to bare your butt in the chip box. I'll supply toilet paper, but i ain't gonna run you to the nearest store to use the bathroom.

Be prepared to work odd hours. You are not gonna get back to the yard every day at 3. You'll get back to the yard when the job is done or it's too dark.

Start slow-master dragging brush and i'll move you on. I'm not gonna teach you to run a rope your first day on the job so don't even ask. You gotta prove yourself.

Learn how to spot hangers, especially on trim jobs.

Hope this helps a bit. Remember, you are low man on the totem pole. Every other guy on the crew knows more than you, so don't show up with a chip on your shoulder or the job will be hell. Good luck.

this right here might be one of the best posts of all time for the commercial thread. of all time! absolute gospel for a new guy getting into it.

i might have to print this up and hand it to any new guy i work with.

nothing but the truth, especially the road rakings in the chipper. lol

The First Day

Well, the first day is done. It was icy this morning so we waited around the shop for a few hours for it to melt off and by the time it did it was to late to start the job we were planning on doing. So instead we went a chipped some brush and called it a day. Tomorrow will be the day that I get the chance to put all your excellent advice into action. I really really appreciate all of the advice you all gave. I will post again and about my first real day. -Brian

You should get the book, "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work", by G.F. Beranek. You may not yet need a lot of the information that is in there, about felling, climbing, etc, but Mr. Beranek has a lifetime of experience that can teach you a lot. If you do get into felling, it is an excellent reference to have on hand. The book has been extremely valuable to me. He also touches on aspects of the industry as a whole.

You should get the book, "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work", by G.F. Beranek. You may not yet need a lot of the information that is in there, about felling, climbing, etc, but Mr. Beranek has a lifetime of experience that can teach you a lot. If you do get into felling, it is an excellent reference to have on hand. The book has been extremely valuable to me. He also touches on aspects of the industry as a whole.

I just ordered a used paperback copy of The Fundamentals of General Tree Work off Amazon.com for $5.99 including shipping. The next cheapest used copy is $94.95. :confused: Strange.

I just ordered a used paperback copy of The Fundamentals of General Tree Work off Amazon.com for $5.99 including shipping. The next cheapest used copy is $94.95. :confused: Strange.

might be alot of money but just might be worth it if you use every bit of the knowledge you can gain from it.

goooood book.

Very true, oldirty, what's a few bucks when you have to go flop a VERY heavy head leaner for the first time. Jer's book can save your a@@ there.

Quit and get in college forget this back breaking debt gathering
work being sold off to illegal workforces. If you are a glutton for
punishment stay safe and learn all you can!

Yup!

Don't foreget to wear your PPE every time you get out of the truck. If they don't provide you with them then run away. Work smart not hard. Your safety, and that of your crew are paramount. If the salesman/owner did not put enough money on the job it is not your responsibility to put your life in danger so he can turn a profit!

Oh!

Don't pick up bad habits like drinking everynight, showing up late & hung over, or smoke.

:chainsawguy:

No matter what, if its hot, cold, wet, sunny, wear your personal protective equipment. Safety glasses for everything, hard hat w/screen, chaps when using a chainsaw, hearing protection, gloves, etc.

Nothing is more important than your own safety. If the higher dont supply these than demand them. It is regulation and a lot of places dont follow the rules.

Learn the equipment you will be using and you can never ask too many questions.

Safety training is a must as well and if your foreman doesnt do it than start asking for it. You have no idea how many possible hazards are on the site unless they are explained by an experienced professional.

Work with your climbers and watch what they do, you will learn a lot from keeping your head up in the air.

Alot of guys will teach you techniques after work there are not enough climbers in this business who know what they are doing. We can always use another.

Finally, welcome to the biz. You should check out some of the arborist sites on the web including. isa-arbor.org, and start learning your trees.

Good luck and stay safe.

Nothing is more important than your own safety. If the higher dont supply these than demand them. It is regulation and a lot of places dont follow the rules.

Granted, this may be the case, but how about bringing your OWN PPE? Then you can maintain it and use it like it's your own. I'd guess the owners would love this kind of commitment. How about buy your OWN chainsaw for use on their crew? They'd almost be obligated to give you a raise because of all the overhead you're saving them...

Then again, I'm uninsured in all areas of life by choice. :dizzy:

Granted, this may be the case, but how about bringing your OWN PPE? Then you can maintain it and use it like it's your own. I'd guess the owners would love this kind of commitment. How about buy your OWN chainsaw for use on their crew? They'd almost be obligated to give you a raise because of all the overhead you're saving them...

Then again, I'm uninsured in all areas of life by choice.

All I will say is this is stupid advise. If the guy requires you to provide any of the above, look for a different company to work for! And I will guarrantee if you showed up with your own stuff just out of the blue the crew will look at you like your a fool and some employers may take offense.

Latest posts

Back