First day advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I will say is this is stupid advise. If the guy requires you to provide any of the above, look for a different company to work for! And I will guarrantee if you showed up with your own stuff just out of the blue the crew will look at you like your a fool and some employers may take offense.

I don't know. Have you seen some of the guys that have worn the company PPE before you? How do you think oldirty got his name? lol I always bring my own ppe and gear because it fits, is comfortable, and i know where it's been and how its been used.

Honestly, for what it costs, a new suspension system in a hard hat, a new pair of gloves, and safety glasses when purchased in crew numbers arent that expensive and can be absorbed by any company. If they can afford to pay your insurance they can afford to buy you these items. As far as chaps are concerned, they are either good or they need to be replaced end of story, these can be handed down. And to address beowolfs post, if your guys are that dirty coming to work and at the end of they day and your equipment shows it, its time to have a tailgate meeting on projecting a professional image! I am a firm believer in that just because we work in the woods/ tree we dont have to look like it! I frequently go through 2-3 shirts a day and have been known to have to change my carhartts between jobs when I know clients will be present. Success is 25% knowledge, 25% image, and 50% public perception

And to address beowolfs post, if your guys are that dirty coming to work and at the end of they day and your equipment shows it, its time to have a tailgate meeting on projecting a professional image! I am a firm believer in that just because we work in the woods/ tree we dont have to look like it! I frequently go through 2-3 shirts a day and have been known to have to change my carhartts between jobs when I know clients will be present. Success is 25% knowledge, 25% image, and 50% public perception

I'll agree with the guys starting the day clean. However, i've worked with some nasty guys over the years. The rest of this is a load of bull. It will be a cold day you know where when i come out of a tree to change my shirt because it just got dirty. Handle wet wood and you will go through a dozen shirts. I've said it before, if i hired a tree crew and they showed up with spotless carhartts, i'd be wondering how long they've actually been working. Brand new clean carhartts around here is a sign of a newb. My orange hoodies are so stained with sap, oil, grease, etc that they can't even be called orange any more. I've always felt success is based more on the quality of work done than how pretty you look.

I think you took me sideways man, If your working and your on a job handling wet wood he!! no dont change your shirt in the middle of a job, i agree that foolish. But if its noon and you already look like hell and your heading to another job how hard is it to throw on a different shirt and start fresh? This i feel is just a small thing that really sets a company apart form its competition. And if you dont agree thats cool; just one of the things that makes this site great, we can all agree do disagree and still be civil.

Well, the first day is done. It was icy this morning so we waited around the shop for a few hours for it to melt off and by the time it did it was to late to start the job we were planning on doing. So instead we went a chipped some brush and called it a day. Tomorrow will be the day that I get the chance to put all your excellent advice into action. I really really appreciate all of the advice you all gave. I will post again and about my first real day. -Brian

Did he quit??? He hasn't posted back.

Guys bringing in their own ppe is not an option as stated by OSHA regulation. If you want to mess with that by all means go right ahead. I cut this from the following website.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094

[Federal Register: November 15, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 220)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Page 64341-64430]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr15no07-22]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Part III

Department of Labor

Occupational Safety and Health Administration

29 CFR Parts 1910, 1915, 1917 et al.

Employer Payment for Personal Protective Equipment; Final Rule

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

Occupational Safety and Health Administration

29 CFR Parts 1910, 1915, 1917, 1918 and 1926

[Dockets S-042 (OSHA docket office) and OSHA-S042-2006-0667
(regulations.gov)]
[RIN No. 1218-AB77]

Employer Payment for Personal Protective Equipment

AGENCY: Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Labor.

ACTION: Final Rule.

SUMMARY: Many Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
health, safety, maritime, and construction standards require employers
to provide their employees with protective equipment, including
personal protective equipment (PPE), when such equipment is necessary
to protect employees from job-related injuries, illnesses, and
fatalities. These requirements address PPE of many kinds: hard hats,
gloves, goggles, safety shoes, safety glasses, welding helmets and
goggles, faceshields, chemical protective equipment, fall protection
equipment, and so forth. The provisions in OSHA standards that require
PPE generally state that the employer is to provide such PPE. However,
some of these provisions do not specify that the employer is to provide
such PPE at no cost to the employee. In this rulemaking, OSHA is
requiring employers to pay for the PPE provided, with exceptions for
specific items. The rule does not require employers to provide PPE
where none has been required before. Instead, the rule merely
stipulates that the employer must pay for required PPE, except in the
limited cases specified in the standard.

DATES: This final rule becomes effective on February 13, 2008. The
final rule must be implemented by May 15, 2008.

The real first day

No ax-man I didn't quit. The first job was a big crane removal of a 75 yr. old rotting silver maple. My boss told me it would be a trial by fire. There were 4000 lb chunks flying over head and was over all very intense. I think they were impressed by how prepared and knowledgeable I was, thanks to all of you. Although I must admit that I was looking up and was walking backwards at the same time to make sure I wasn't going to get smashed by a limb and had a nice little tumble over a branch but I don't think anyone saw. They gave me all the PPE except ear protection (little odd) but I got some just by asking. They want me to start climbing as soon as possible so Friday will be my first time with them in the tree. I am really excited about that and just about the job over all I have a good feeling about all of it. Thanks again. -Brian

No ax-man I didn't quit. The first job was a big crane removal of a 75 yr. old rotting silver maple. My boss told me it would be a trial by fire. There were 4000 lb chunks flying over head and was over all very intense. I think they were impressed by how prepared and knowledgeable I was, thanks to all of you. Although I must admit that I was looking up and was walking backwards at the same time to make sure I wasn't going to get smashed by a limb and had a nice little tumble over a branch but I don't think anyone saw. They gave me all the PPE except ear protection (little odd) but I got some just by asking. They want me to start climbing as soon as possible so Friday will be my first time with them in the tree. I am really excited about that and just about the job over all I have a good feeling about all of it. Thanks again. -Brian

They probably saw you trip you just did not see a grin,
but you should do fine, they did not send you packing you must
be good help!

Latest posts

Back