First fire yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burnt alot of wood last year....Just reinsulated the lines, now I we have to Fire the woodstove about every 2 days here in Wisconsin, heating two house off 1 unit....this winter going to be fun...won't have to fire the stove 3 times a day, maybe once on warm days........:cheers:

I've been having a hard time building a fire that did more than smolder without getting the house to 80+ deg but finally had one last night. Kept things around 75 deg until bed time when I tossed a night log on. Up at six this morning it to check on the fire, opened the valve on the stove and sure enough some embers lit up. Still 72 deg in the house so I tossed on another log in and jumped in the shower. Out the door at 6:45, with the house back up to 73 I choked the stove back down and left for work. Love the idea of the family waking up to a warm house and comfy fire on a cold fall morning. :biggrinbounce2:

I've only had one fire which was last Sunday morning. House was a bit chilly, but it was a short duration burn. More of a first fire/burn the dust off deal.

But that's been it with this warm weather. I'm usually burning somewhat regular by this time of year. And a look at the forecast for the next week doesn't show that temps will be dropping enough to light up. Doesn't look like the wood pile will be going down until November.

Been lighting off small fires for about three weeks now. Just light wood like poplar and such. Anything better and the house gets too warm (fine line between warm and hot come sleepytime). Excellent weather for cutting wood though, other than the rain we've had for a week or so off and on.

Nothing like a nice piece of ash by the fireplace... ;)...

Nothing like a nice piece of ash by the fireplace... ;)...[/QUOTE]

I have to say I think Ash is (in my opinion) the best all around firewood. It burns great even when not fully cured, it splits good if the piece is straight, and is plentiful. Dont get me wrong, when it gets really cold, Im burning Oak, Mulberry, and Locust. But I really like Ash for firewood as well.:cheers:

Nothing like a nice piece of ash by the fireplace... ;)...

I have to say I think Ash is (in my opinion) the best all around firewood. It burns great even when not fully cured, it splits good if the piece is straight, and is plentiful. Dont get me wrong, when it gets really cold, Im burning Oak, Mulberry, and Locust. But I really like Ash for firewood as well.:cheers:[/QUOTE]You guy's and and your oak and hard woods make me so jealous! The best I can do is the OD fir if I go west to get it, and Birch if I go North, But for me it is pine and some spruce. I just get lazy and rather take the pine less limbing. But lately I have some Manitoba Maple in my wood pile I don't know the real name for that tree but got some from the Arborists that cut them down locally.

Finally, my first fire is going right now. Mostly dead american elm with a sprinkling of burr oak and mulberry mixed in. Some of the dead elm I get isn't prime anymore - usually I end up leaving a few chucks because they are too punky. I am saving the better stacks with only oak/mulberry/locust until it gets cold. For now we will burn some elm and some maple (probably silver) until it gets cold.

Toasting by the fire.

Don

Last night was my first fire. Finally there is a string of cold enough days in the Ozarks to warrant building one. It looks like I will have to continue to build a daily flash fire in the evening with the weather forecast. Everything operated well also.

Wood stove

Do you all run the wood stove at the house when you are not home ? I would love to burn all day and save on gas but i just worry about coming home to a foundation and a dead dog. And i imagine it cant be good for the stove to be turned on each night and out each morning ? Just wondering how you all run your rigs ? New house, cut and sell firewood so its a natural fit. Right now i got a insert that gets going on weekends to just make the living room the place to stay warm so any input is welcome.

I have to say I think Ash is (in my opinion) the best all around firewood. It burns great even when not fully cured, it splits good if the piece is straight, and is plentiful. Dont get me wrong, when it gets really cold, Im burning Oak, Mulberry, and Locust. But I really like Ash for firewood as well.]You guy's and and your oak and hard woods make me so jealous! The best I can do is the OD fir if I go west to get it, and Birch if I go North, But for me it is pine and some spruce. I just get lazy and rather take the pine less limbing. .

Nothing wrong with Pine.

I have to say I think Ash is (in my opinion) the best all around firewood. It burns great even when not fully cured, it splits good if the piece is straight, and is plentiful. Dont get me wrong, when it gets really cold, Im burning Oak, Mulberry, and Locust. But I really like Ash for firewood as well.:cheers:
You guy's and and your oak and hard woods make me so jealous! The best I can do is the OD fir if I go west to get it, and Birch if I go North, But for me it is pine and some spruce. I just get lazy and rather take the pine less limbing. But lately I have some Manitoba Maple in my wood pile I don't know the real name for that tree but got some from the Arborists that cut them down locally.[/QUOTE]

The Manitoba Maple is Acer Negundo. I have a bunch on the property and tap them in spring, they make a nice maple syrup. The unlucky trimmings and wind damage make fine firewood, easy to split and season well, not a real hardwood when compared to elm or oak but good enough. The biggest trouble is that, left untended, they grow all squirrely and sideways.

Most of what I burn is tamarack, poplar and pine with some others mixed in but I'm "lucky" enough to have access to a lot of elm right now, tough to handle but good burning.:cheers:

We stoke a fire and leave for the day. Furnace is usually set a 60 so it doesn't get too cold in the house. The goal is to keep it from running until afternoon.

Stove has good air control, chimney flue is swept every fall, make sure stove has peaked for the load before leaving and you are set.

If you have one of those massive stone fireplaces you only have to build a fire in the morning.

Don

Do you all run the wood stove at the house when you are not home ? I would love to burn all day and save on gas but i just worry about coming home to a foundation and a dead dog. And i imagine it cant be good for the stove to be turned on each night and out each morning ? Just wondering how you all run your rigs ? New house, cut and sell firewood so its a natural fit. Right now i got a insert that gets going on weekends to just make the living room the place to stay warm so any input is welcome.

As per what SWI Don said,
HTML:
make sure the stove has peaked for the load
before you leave. Or, if you are familiar enough with your stove and it is newer/modern (airtight), you can also set the damper low enough to prevent a big blaze from the fresh charge. This is basically what is done when a stove is stoked up to last overnight; charge stove, get a good burn on, and then damper down to a slow burn for the long haul.

Given that you have a newer/modern stove and chimney (all properly installed of course) the risk is probably more that you will damage your stove or chimney from overheating before you burn down your house (unless you overheat on a regular basis).

Got the first one going now. Running the stove low since its really not that cold. In the next few days the temperature is supposed to drop enough to make it worthwhile. I have a decent mix of ash, maple, and hickory this year. I'll miss the white oak from last year.

First fire tonight.Last year at this time I had been burning 3 weeks a least.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :clap:

Yep....... finally started our stove a few days ago. Last year it was mid-september, with all the cold, rainy weather we had. I sure won't need to worry about a wood shortage this year. I've been out in the yard emptying all the aerosol cans i can find around the house. If this is global warming...... i say bring it on !!! :dizzy:

3 times we lit the fireplace. So far the score: fireplace 3, propane furnace 0. It's been pretty warm here with a few frosty nights.

lit mine for the first time tonight just to warm her up a bit. threw a little junk wood just to burn the dust out of her.:jester:

Latest posts

Back