first mill question about double powerhead setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purcell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...70035533943&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Hi this is my first mill48" alaskan older one. Never milled before but want to give it a go. Does it look like all the parts are there? I have no instructions for it so I'd like a little guidence on setting it up.
I have a pair of 272xp's wondering if its worth it to get the double bar and if so how big do I get it. Also have a jd cs81 powerhead.Have a granberg mini mill attachment also but dont know how to use yet. Think I'm supposed to use that for side cut. Well as you can tell I know nothing but willing to dive in slowly. Hope you guys can help a newbie.

The big question is, how big are the logs you are going to cut? A 48" bar is a handful for a 70cc saw, but not for two of them. However, with two saws, you need two people running the mill. If you are cutting 18-20" logs, you really don't want a 48" bar. I run a 36" bar on smaller logs, and a 42" on bigger ones, with a 36" Alaskan. With the 36" bar, I've got 28" of cut, and 36" with the 42. I now run a 3120xp on the mill, but have more time running an 066 with both set-ups. Power is king.

I'm not too keen on the double ended bar deal, but I often mill by myself, so it wouldn't do me much good. It's a pretty good deal if you always have a milling partner, especially when you already own the saws. You can choke the Alaskan down to whatever size you need, so the 48" means you have capacity eventually should you need it. Not a bad thing.

For smaller logs, you can get by with one of the 272s, although, if you found a deal on a 395 or an 066, and want to do enough milling to justify it, I'd go for it...okay, I did, then upgraded to the 3120, but I've gone through a bunch of 30"+ stuff and wanted some more power to pull through it. The 066 would do it, but it was a bit much for it.

If you want help, you are in the right place. Others will follow, there are lots of good people here. For bar size, look at the largest logs you will be coming across, then buy a bar 4-6" longer. Typically, my 36" bar would get most of the use, but since I met my two buddies, the 42" actually sees more saw time...buried too.

Mark

was thinking of useing the john deere cs 81 (81cc) for when I am by myself
and the double bar setup with the 272xp's for when my buddy is around.
Havent bought a bar for the john deere yet as 1 of the bar mounts was broke
so I'll have to replace it and was wondering if the husky bar mounts will fit in the holes so I can use a husky bar as john deere bars I can find none. What size bar would the john deere pull. will be mostly milling 24-30 inch but bigger stuff on occasion. thanks for the quick reply oldsaw.

Get ahold of the guys at Baileys, link above, they could more than likely get you a bar that would fit. An 81cc saw will work, but don't know about the mounting changeover. Cannon sells an adaptor for using Stihl bars on a Husky, but that is a fairly unique situation, they have no other adaptors. I was able to modify my Stihl mount bars to work on the Husky...just took some grinding. I'm going to bet that it isn't going to work. But, you will need a separate two head bar anyway, and that one should be on the big side to take advantage of the big mill and big power with two saws. The other one? A 36" bar would be about what that 81cc saw is going to like...and it really isn't going to like it much. Ripping is hard on people and equipment, but it is very satisfying.

Mark

thanks I'll call bailey's. I have there catalog but didnt see any bars for john deere. With a little patience I'll find something to work.

Oldsaw is correct,especially about the need for a lot of power when milling.
I have never ran a double ended setup but have looked into it and I would just run a single with enough grunt to handle it.
You are in the right spot for help.
I noticed that your mill looks like you may need to modify it to accept a smaller bar.That would be no big deal to change around. You have a good start there and it looks like you can mill right as soon as you get your bar and chain set up.WARNING-milling is addictive,you'll see what I mean.
Glad you're here,
Mark:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

purcell said:
carvinmark how would i modify it to use a 36" bar set up?
Hi,it looks to be made from threaded pipe.You would need to replace(or shorten) the three horizontal pipes.You can get these at most hardware stores. I would want to have the bar on the saw so you can figure out how long the pipes will need to be.Hope this helps.
Mark

So thats not an adjustable setup then, bummer. It will get used regardless and the threaded pipe doesnt sount to difficult to do, have a few diff sizes of pipe I guess so i can use shorter barsa if nessessary. thanks

purcell said:
So thats not an adjustable setup then, bummer. It will get used regardless and the threaded pipe doesnt sount to difficult to do, have a few diff sizes of pipe I guess so i can use shorter barsa if nessessary. thanks
Maby after you mill a few logs with your mill,you can concider getting an adjustable mill.This one you have is a great way to start and changing it around shouldn't take too long.
Mark

Back