First New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric106

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well,

I have an old Homelite XL-2/Super-2 (actually three of them, one running and two for parts) that I have been using/fixing for several years. But, I have been looking more and more at getting a new saw (or two) for sometime now. I thought I had a lead on a friend of a friend who worked for Stihl and could get me a deal. However, it turned out he had demo equipment from other manufacturers. He's apparently very by-the-book and couldn't/wouldn't do anything for me on a Stihl.

I had pretty much decide the next saw I wanted to get was an MS 201T. I don't climb (yet anyway) but grew up with small top handled saws and didn't know they were so "dangerous" till just the last couple years. I find the balance, size and weight great for trimming and light cutting. Plus it's a lot easier to carry on a dirt bike for clearing trails.

I won't really need the saw till a job I'm planning back at my house this summer. But after looking for so long and finally making a decision it was getting hard to wait. So I went ahead and got it now. I've used other relatives' good/pro saws and I have had some hand-me-downs and used saws but, this is my first new saw.

After determining that there was no material difference with saws distributed in California I went ahead and got it now. The taxes are a wash but I probably paid about $30 more to get it here in CA as opposed to waiting. The way I look at it, it is the price of having it to play with for the next four or five months before I needed to get it. But that's only really true if the prices don't go up this summer before I get back.

The place I got it from was going to throw in a free Stihl case but I didn't really want that monster of a case for such a small saw. Plus those cases are such an odd shape they're hard to store or stack. I got him to give me the lightweight 14 inch bar instead. I like the Stanley FatMax water tight tool boxes and the saw fits perfectly in the 28 inch toolbox.

I just picked it up yesterday and I haven't even had a chance to run it yet. I need to find some wood to give it a workout but there aren't a lot of trees here in the desert of southern California where I'm at right now. It sure does feel and handle nice though!

-Eric

Pics or it didn't happen!

Just remember..if you are out cutting and one of your buds whips out a tiny little top handled green saw, and he is cutting right along with you and drops he paid five bucks for it..don't feel bad. You stihl have a new saw!

;)

You should like your new saw. Rep sent.

Thanks, I'm sure I will.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Well right now it looks pretty much like any other brand new MS 201T (minus all the superfluous warning stickers) since it hasn't even been used yet. But I took a couple of it in the toolbox in case anyone is interested.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just remember..if you are out cutting and one of your buds whips out a tiny little top handled green saw, and he is cutting right along with you and drops he paid five bucks for it..don't feel bad. You stihl have a new saw!

;)

I won't feel bad. I generally research tools and equipment for a long time before I make a decision to get something. As a result I rarely ever regret a purchase, especially the bigger ones.

Whenever I can I like to get quality stuff that I know is going to be reliable and durable. I take care of my stuff -- it often gets well used -- but taken care of, not abused, and so lasts a long time. I had considered a couple other saws but kept coming back to the Stihl. I made the final decision in the last couple months but in reality I think my mind was made up about four years or so ago. The little XL-2 started acting up again at the time and I began to look at new saws. I was looking at the 192T and 200T back then and thinking I should probably get the 192T but really wanting to justify the 200T. Now I'm in a position where I can afford to get the one I want.

-Eric

Perfect Saw Case

Congrats on your new saw. That is a perfect case. I too grew up with a top handled greenie. I ran it until it couldn't keep the chain tight anymore. That should be a nice clearing saw, especially with the longer bar.

Thanks, I'm sure I will.

Well right now it looks pretty much like any other brand new MS 201T (minus all the superfluous warning stickers) since it hasn't even been used yet. But I took a couple of it in the toolbox in case anyone is interested.

I won't feel bad. I generally research tools and equipment for a long time before I make a decision to get something. As a result I rarely ever regret a purchase, especially the bigger ones.

Whenever I can I like to get quality stuff that I know is going to be reliable and durable. I take care of my stuff -- it often gets well used -- but taken care of, not abused, and so lasts a long time. I had considered a couple other saws but kept coming back to the Stihl. I made the final decision in the last couple months but in reality I think my mind was made up about four years or so ago. The little XL-2 started acting up again at the time and I began to look at new saws. I was looking at the 192T and 200T back then and thinking I should probably get the 192T but really wanting to justify the 200T. Now I'm in a position where I can afford to get the one I want.

-Eric

hey, cool! Those are slick little handguns! I hope you've seen this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185736.htm

Congrats on your new saw. That is a perfect case. I too grew up with a top handled greenie. I ran it until it couldn't keep the chain tight anymore. That should be a nice clearing saw, especially with the longer bar.

Thanks. It's amazing how perfectly it fits in that toolbox. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes for $30-35 and I really like the water tight seal they have. You don't have to worry if it starts raining or about your tools drawing damp if it sits outside.

The balance with the 14" light bar is perfect. It balances right at your index finger. With the regular 14" bar it's nose heavy.

hey, cool! Those are slick little handguns! I hope you've seen this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185736.htm

Oh yes, I've read through that several times. The debate is how long to wait before I start tinkering with it. I got the two year warranty but don't think I'll wait that long. I do want to wait a while and make sure it's not a lemon though.

I have already been thinking about how I can reach back in the muffler and enlarge to original opening instead of adding a second hole like Brad did. Here's the stock muffler.

attachment.php

And here is a photo of someone else's attempt.

attachment.php

I've been thinking about how to get back in there and do it in a neat and clean fashion. The rest, limiter cap and timing advance, is very straight forward.

-Eric

Congrats on the saw. I was lucky enough to find a leftover new 200T a few months back. Could of done with a lesser saw but like you I would have always wanted one. I've been moving mine around in an old canvas duffle bag. I will now upgrade to the Fat Max tool box, what a nice fit.

Good Luck with your saw
Safe cutting

Gary in CT

Do you think that case needs a vent hole?

It sounds like that case could be pretty air tight....black case in the summer sun, do you think it should have a tiny vent hole? I know the standard saw cases are far from air tight.

nice saw and congrats on your 1st new saw. it's so nice starting with a new saw

Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to using it.

Congrats on the saw. I was lucky enough to find a leftover new 200T a few months back. Could of done with a lesser saw but like you I would have always wanted one. I've been moving mine around in an old canvas duffle bag. I will now upgrade to the Fat Max tool box, what a nice fit.

Good Luck with your saw
Safe cutting

Gary in CT

Thanks, glad I could provide some useful info to someone on here.

It sounds like that case could be pretty air tight....black case in the summer sun, do you think it should have a tiny vent hole? I know the standard saw cases are far from air tight.

I've been using them for some time now and never noticed a problem leaving them inside a hot car. They seem to seal pretty well but I think if the pressure built up too much that the lid would flex enough to burp out the extra pressure. On the other hand if you closed one up when it has hot out it might suck it self shut and be hard to open. Air tight shipping containers (and a water tight DeWalt toolbox I have) have a vent so you can get them open if they vacuum themselves shut.

Since the MS201T is so new I haven't been able to find a service manual or IPL for it anywhere. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to send me or know where I could find one? Thanks.

-Eric

Latest posts

Back