First o.s.h.a. inspection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber1966

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well to those of you new in the industry, it happens. Yesterday I was out on the Job when my secretary called me and informed me that there was a occupational saftyu and health administration team in my shop for a surprise inspection. My heart sank, I wondered if everything was alright. Upon arrival to the shop, I met the man and he went over training records, safty records, shop safty. He then went to the field to check the crews. I didnt give them a pre warning, We passed with no problems. If anyone out there reading this, should think, Ime a small company and they wouldn't mess with me, guess again. Make sure your guys are trained for what they do. Make sure you have a written safty program. Keep notes and make sure they have and use P.P.E. = personal protection equipment, Hard hat ear plugs eye protection. He informed me that there are more people hurt in this industry than we know. Make sure there are first aid kits and what you need in an emergency. I was lucky, or I did my Job we are now in our second year without a lost time accident. If our industry uses common sense, we can go along way and preserve trees for our kids. We can set a standard for the next generation of arborist. Keep safe guys.......

Glad you passed, but you should be advised as short staffed as OSHA is, they rarely just pop up. I would suspect someone called in about your operation. Think about it.

Glad you passed, but you should be advised as short staffed as OSHA is, they rarely just pop up. I would suspect someone called in about your operation. Think about it.
I'd have to agree, maybe your competition called them trying to shut you down.

I had an experience with them, they were hot on the company I worked for and rolled up on me one day and looked my job site over and I was in the bucket and the guy looked up at me and grabbed his belt so I stood up and showed my safety belt and he gave me the thumbs up and left, later that month my area manager came out and said he had a letter from OSHA about one of our crews doing it right and thanked us for the great job and treated us all to dinner later on, I told him "we were just doing our job" we also all got a copy of the letter that had each of our names mentioned in it, i lost mine....lol was a pretty good experience on my part.

Your lucky you passed. When they find something they dont like you either pay big fines or jump through a never ending series of hoops.

One of the last years I did trees, I think it was 2004, OSHA was cracking down around the front range in Colorado. Guess they are still up to it.

Maybe it will make us step back & look at our own operating methods. Correcting where neccessary & improving upon those faults. Maybe it would help lower those w.c. rates & make our industry , considered safer.

Latest posts

Back