First Post, Chainsaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is my first post and I think I'm in the right place. I've already done searches here and have a few questions about buying a chainsaw. I've been burning wood for a few years now and burning it in my woodstove in my basement. It is probably 90% of my heat. I now have a cheap 40cc Poulan saw that makes me work too hard and takes too long on wood of any size. I'm going to buy a new saw and it probably is going to be a Husqvarna 359. The reason that I have chosen that saw is quality for the price. Is there any other saw that you would recommend over this one in the same price range? My questions are how do I mod the muffler? Is it necessary? I read a few posts about quality issues on this saw. Are they warrented? I'd like to buy one from a local dealer but is it worth $110.00 more buying one from a dealer than one online? That $110.00 includes sales tax that I would have to pay if I bought one locally. I also read that different suppliers give you different quality chains and bars on the same saws. Which ones are the good chains and bars and how much better are they? Would a 20" bar be a good combo with this saw? Thanks for any answers you are able to give me.

Danny

I personally do not have a 359but have a friend that has one....my opinion it is a great all around saw and will pull a 20" bar very easy. If you have never run a husky the you are in for a surprise.....when you get one you will probably decide against a muffler mod because they run so good stock but its always an optionl. I have heard of guys picking up almost half a horsepower with muffler mods:confused: not real sure on that though. Cant really help you with the chain question..... i have never heard bout that.i say go for the 359 i cant think of a better saw for the money. its much better than the 455 rancher more power.

For the $430 that Bailey's charges (and some others, including some brick and mortar dealers) for the saw with a 20" professional, non-laminated bar and chain, I'd say that there is no other saw in this quality/power range worth considering.

danrclem said:
I'd like to buy one from a local dealer but is it worth $110.00 more buying one from a dealer than one online? That $110.00 includes sales tax that I would have to pay if I bought one locally.

This is a frequent point of discussion on here. Personally, if you are comfortable adjusting a carb then I would order the thing online and save the $$.

danrclem said:
I also read that different suppliers give you different quality chains and bars on the same saws. Which ones are the good chains and bars and how much better are they? Would a 20" bar be a good combo with this saw?

A 20" bar would be a good all-around combo for that saw.

Many places, online and brick/mortar, will sell this saw with a laminated bar and safety chain. Most on ArboristSite would prefer to have their saws set up with a solid bar w/ replaceable tip and non-safety chain. Bailey's sells their 359 package the second way, and most dealers will be more than pleased to furnish the bar and chain that you desire.

By way of particular bars to consider, any solid, replaceable-tip bar should meet your needs. Oregon PowerMatch (which is the same as the replaceable tip Husqvarna-branded bar that Husqvarna dealers offer), Windsor SpeedTip, GB ProTop or Titanium, WoodsmanPro, etc. are among some of the the more common brands/models of bars you should consider. I've had good results with Windsor SpeedTip, decent results with the Oregon PowerMatch bars, and just picked up a GB Titanium to try.

A bit of searching on the site will address the chain issue; the discussions have been extensive over the weeks, months, and years. Brand and cutter-style preferences abound. I'll leave it to you to read up on that.

Out of curiosity, what are they charging for a 59cc saw these days? I mean... if there's a 110 differense in price ...

What kind of wood?
If it's 20" hardwood you might want to think about getting a less expesive, more powerful saw. And when I say hardwood, I burn Locust wood and dense cherry; that saw ain't near strong enough. Wouldn't last a year in these parts. And I don't even walk into these woods without square ground full chissel, a spare chain, and 80cc.

Fortunately this wood limitted me to using 4 trees all Winter. Unfortunately it burned so hot I need a new chimney liner now. Live and learn.

I have to split this down to 2" square logs to burn it.
So, you can see why I like the old Homies.

The 359 sounds like an all orange MS - 310 , have you considered the Stihl option?

About Muff-moding it, by all means do it as even if you dont need the power (rarly the case) it will run cooler and last longer.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Kevin

ShoerFast said:
The 359 sounds like an all orange MS - 310 , have you considered the Stihl option?

About Muff-moding it, by all means do it as even if you dont need the power (rarly the case) it will run cooler and last longer.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Kevin

A 359 is way ahead of the 310. The 359 is a pro saw design, with a more mildly tuned cylinder configuration. The top end, and crank are the main differences between it and a 357XP. To compare it to a 310 is insulting it, as the 359 is hands down the better saw between those two.

Welcome here. Let us know what you decide. I will say it again, what YOU DECIDE. Many will give you opinons but no one will be responsible for your final decision but you. I would suggest a Dolmar 54cc saw because I want to know how they work. Not that I'm willing to buy one, just want you to tell me how it works for you. :cheers:

TimberPig said:
A 359 is way ahead of the 310. The 359 is a pro saw design, with a more mildly tuned cylinder configuration. The top end, and crank are the main differences between it and a 357XP. To compare it to a 310 is insulting it, as the 359 is hands down the better saw between those two.

As I had never even considered ever buying a Husky here, for the pure goose egg , notta dealer suport, bar the price, your saying that the compairson would be with the 359 vs an MS-361 then?

guess a point I wished to make is that the 2 are close (310 -359)to the same price, (Balieys has a 359 for sale for 419.00 with 20" BnC)but given any money differance, it would be very hard to beat the overall support you would get from a Stihl product! ,,,, maybe thats part of the price differance?

Kevin

BTW, I like the hell out of my 310 , it paid for it's self by 10X , but would replace it with a 361 , faster then my hat could hit the ground.

It more closely compares to an MS 341, which isn't available in the US ( it is in Canada and other parts of the world). It is a slightly less agressively tuned version of the MS 361, kind of like comparing a 359 to a 357XP.

For the money, you get a much better saw in the 359 than the 310, Dealer support is a local issue that a person has to determine for themself. In my own case, my dealer sells both, and supports both, so it makes little difference for me. For others, where dealer support is an issue, that may affect their decision. But comparing the saws alone, with dealer performance left as a separate issue, a 359 is a far better saw than a 310 is.

I am gonna agree with timberpig the 359 is way ahead of the 310. You have some used options if you wanted a used saw like a 61 rancher, 61, 254xp for husky....and 038,041 for stihl.....all are good saws and cheaper than the new saws. all these saws will pull a 20' bar. :chainsaw:

danrclem,

Welcome to the site! :rockn:

Buy the 359 - you will never look back! It is an excellent saw for the money...

TimberPig said:
TimberPig said:
It more closely compares to an MS 341, which isn't available in the US ( it is in Canada and other parts of the world). It is a slightly less agressively tuned version of the MS 361, kind of like comparing a 359 to a 357XP.
I think you are hitting the nail 100% square today!;)

computeruser said:
A 20" bar would be a good all-around combo for that saw.
Which bar length is acceptable on a particular saw depends on a lot of factors, and the users expectations regarding cutting speed and what "load" he can put on the saw are two of them.

Personally, I do not agree that a 20" bar is a good all round lenght on the 359 - it is more like the extra long bar that you keep around for use only when really needed.... :deadhorse:

Bugfart, my local dealer is wanting $489 for the 359. With 6% sales tax it would be 518.34. I saw the saw online with 2 extra chains for $410 with $5 packaging which would be $415. What kind of bar and chain I don't know. It wouldn't be quite $110 difference but $103.34. Now I didn't get in deep enough with my local dealer to see what bar, chain and if that included extra chains or not. The majority of the wood I'll be cutting is oak.

I did consider a Sthil but the price is probably going to keep me from buying one. This is actually more than I wanted to pay for a saw but I think it would be money well spent in the long run.

I won't do the muffler mod if it is not necessary.

Thanks for all of the input. I'll do a little more research and I'll let you know what I decide.

Danny

The one question you asked that is fairly important is-should I save the money and buy online? That depends on how comfortable you are making your own repairs and or adjustments. I was recently shopping saws and was told more that once, "we only sevice what we sell." I think you might want to check out your local support before making the online purchase. That $100.00 may might be moot if you can't get anyone to work on it. However, if you feel savvy with a wrench and a manual then save the cash.

NewbieDave said:
I was recently shopping saws and was told more that once, "we only sevice what we sell."

That sounds like a great way for a dealer to pick up new customers when someone new moves into the area. :rolleyes:

Personaly, I'd be comfortable buying online and just dealing with the service issue if/when I need it. I don't expect favors from dealers - if I need service I'll glady pay for it, even at $60+ hour for labor. But others aren't comfortable with that, and that's ok.

I recently purchased a 359 bout 2 mo ago and couldnt be happier. I'm running a 18 in bar with non safety chain and it cuts awesome. Been using it in hardwoods red oak and some maple. I did alot of research as this was my first new saw puchase and recently moved to a home with wood heat looked at stil used my brother in laws 310 and theres no comparison husky has it hands down not quite sure what to think on the muff mod yet.

My questions is ............ how does a dealer know if you bought the saw on-line or from another state , different dealer , was your brothers saw , christmas gift ... ect ...ect... ?? Is the dealer judge and jury and the all mighty to allow you in there shop? I'm glad car/truck dealers dont think the way a lot of chainsaw dealers do. I had a garden tractor that had a probelm , i took it to a shop that was not the one that sold me the mower , they didnt play all mighty and ask were i bought it , yada , yada . So why is the chainsaw dealer so different ?

bought a saw from a dealer off e-bay in USA, $200 cheaper than my dealer up here, flaw in cylinder noticed first week i had it, dealer in USA wouldn't do anything told me i had warranty use it. had to take it to my dealer, he warrantied it no questions asked. he wouldn't sign any document however to make a claim with e-bay. for that i don't blame him. dealers quote retail cost from mfg. on saws if they would just sell for the lowest price i could get it elsewhere i would be very happy, this is how big box stores work. i take all my equipment to that dealer for service, that is were they make their money most of the time not off the original sale. ps e-bay won't make a claim against their seller as i paid less for the saw than the quote from a dealer, go figure.

Back