First post: couple of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sclongrange

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been reading here off and on for quite a while now and have learned more than I ever thought possible from you guys. I want to take this oppurtunity to thank each of you for being so eager to share your knowledge. When I started reading here I had never seen a piston and didn't even know what rings were. In the last two months I purchased a ms360 on eBay and replaced the scoured piston with a meteor after woods porting the cylinder and removed the gasket to get the squish down to about .021. Damn that thing runs strong now. Modded the muffler on my husky 350, bought a stihl 015 (eBay again) and tore it apart changed all the gaskets oil and gas lines and rebuilt the carb just because I saw a post where one of you guys did one and thought it was a great project. I think I've modified the muffler and tuned the carb on every two stroke engine I own. So anyway, thanks for all the great info.

Ok, here is my first question. Yesterday I had some amazing luck and stumbled across a husky 2101xp at a yard sale and managed to buy it for $50 bucks. It cranked on the second pull. I brought it home and tore it down to clean and inspect. Lots and lots of carbon build up in the top of the cylinder and exhaust port but otherwise the piston, rings and cylinder walls looked perfect. So I cleaned it all up and checked the squish without the cylinder gasket. .039 inches. I didn't expect it to be so high. On this older saw is .039 ok or should I put the gasket back in? Also, when I purchased the ms360 I bought two bars for it an 18 for everyday use and a 25 to cut up one large pecan in my yard. I plan to use the 25 on the 2101 with a bar mount adapter, but today I decided to put the bar on the 2101 just to see how it balanced and noticed that my stihl 3/8 .050 84 drive link chain is too short. Both the 360 and the 2101 are running 7/8 inch ID 7 pin rim sprockets. Does anyone know how many links I need to get this setup to work?

Just one more question: should I port the 2101 or just leave it as is? I have no idea what I'm going to do with this beast but just couldn't leave it there. I guess I have a bad case of CAD. I have a stack of firewood an Alaskan would be proud of and don't even have a wood stove or fireplace.

added picture

I think I may have figured out how to add a picture to this thread. I know that I'm probably gonna catch alot of crap for putting a stihl bar on this saw but i just can't justify buying another bar when i have this one hanging in the shop.

View attachment 301672

Nice find! You have just found one of the best felling and bucking saws ever made. 99cc of tree shredding power. Can pull up to a 6 foot bar.

Very lucky everything checked out. Parts are very hard to find. I would love to pick one up sometime, easy to find here, but always around $400..... You will never out grow that saw.

I think it is enough of a monster already to handle anything. If you want it ported, go for it! Not a good saw to try porting for yourself. The jug is almost impossible to find, and very costly. If you want it ported, send it to someone on here who has done a lot. (mastermind, blsnelling, tree monkey, ect)

Way cool and nice first post for a newby! Shows you really DID read a lot and applied what you learned.

Gentlemen the needle is now broken on the suckage meter I mean totally !@#$ed.. enough of that.. Well done very well done. I have been looking for one of them since I started here in 08'. I always find them way out there 6 bills or better all ragged out etc. Just proves do your homework and keep looking. :rock: Im not sure but this may be in the running for best score of the year maybe if not top 5?

want to double your money on the 2101 :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I'm gonna finish cleaning it up, replace the kill switch and bar guide plates that were missing, really have no idea what I'm gonna do with it. I only stopped at that yard sale to see if they had something fun to rebuild but never imagined to find a saw that big in South Carolina.

Back