First post - new user, chainsaw pics and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louthepou

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just found this forum and read a whole lot about lots!

Anywho, I recently acquired a few old saws to get comfortable with small 2-stroke motor carbs and tuning. Been a 4 stroke guy for too long.

I already had a Homelite XL1 for about 10 years now (runs perfect), and found a Jonsered 510 SP about three years ago... that got me interested in seasoned saws. I use my saws, I cut my own firewood. (Live in Canada).

Found a Homelite Super-Mini that needed lots (carb kit, chain, bar, clutch, sproket). Then a Pioneer, then another Pioneer. Now another Homelite Super Mini is coming soon. Yikes...

My question is: I'm running 40:1 oil ratio (semi synthetic oil) in the Homelites and Jonsered. The factory ratio I found for the Pioneers was 16:1. Am I ok with going up to 32:1 for the Pioneers?

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions... thanks in advance,

Lou

Here are a few pics of the saws (I hope the size is OK, if not, Moderators let me know and I'll rectify):

The trusty, happy XL-1:
Picture060.jpg

The Super-Mini (two tone I'm sure isn't "stock" :) and bar is longer than stock too I bet)
Picture056.jpg

The Jonsered (happy with a new coil, doesn't stop as soon as it gets a little bit hot)
Picture053.jpg

A rough-looking Pioneer
Picture051.jpg

A less-rough-looking Pioneer (this one a Hybrid of sorts, with parts from a P-28 and 1074 I believe, but I could be wrong!)
Picture059.jpg

Posting an oil mix question will usually get you flamed but by posting those cool pics they may give you a bit of slack. LOL

OK, I'll bite. I wouldn't hesitate to go 32 or even 40:1 with, here's the disclaimer, modern, premium 2 smoke oil. But that's me.

Hold on to your hats......it could get lively in here. Search is your friend. Click the search button...plug in mix ratio, oil or whatever and see what pops up. Happy reading...........

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

I'm running an experiment...let me know if this thread is useful. There are links there to previous discussions on mixes, a couple of them are specific to older saws.

Nice pics!

Thanks!

Thanks guys, much appreciate the advices and the welcoming words :)

The challenge now is to decide which saw to use. Maybe each one has its own day of the week...

Edisto, thanks for the link, very useful.

Lou

Last edited:
I have found and have been using Opti-2 , multi ratio 2cycle engine lubricant for all my chainsaws.
It has been working well in all mine & my dads old homelite saws.

Running :
All homelite.
2-C9's , 1 with 30 inch & 1 with 20 inch bars
101 government model
Super 925
Super XL

Under repair & restoration:
EZ-6
700-D
EZ automatic
Super 1050

Welcome,you can learn alot on hear,member are very helpful!

Make sure you check the search feature there is days of info on here!

Nice pics:clap:

:cheers:

I am guilty also:blush:

Lesson learned!

Tip of the day:Check date of post!

:cheers:

yes i was gona jump on brad because he runs 50/1 now. i saw his 40/1 post and went hmmmmmmm what his 40/1 50/1

for the saws listed though by the op i would be comfortable running 40/1 wich is also what i run in my saws and heck even the 4 stroke lawnmore doesnt wine to much about it

if you don't reconize the thread as one you have already poked your head into, it is always smart to look at the date of the original post.

Yeah, there's some "old post, this thread should die" police running around here that get their underwear all bunched up over it.

Last edited:
Posting an oil mix question will usually get you flamed but by posting those cool pics they may give you a bit of slack. LOL

Please explain to a newbie why speaking of oil mixtures would get you 'flamed':confused:

The original poster is correct this is a great site!
Jim

Please explain to a newbie why speaking of oil mixtures would get you 'flamed':confused:

The original poster is correct this is a great site!
Jim

I think because it's been hashed over a few times. There's also a few "do a search" police here too. It is a great site.

Back