First purchas of a new Stihl! need opinions:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a 660. Modify it. 8 pin rim, 25" stihl es bar. Stihl square tooth chain, full comp. PPE. .... no more questions!!!

An 8 pin sprocket would give more chain speed, less torque, as opposed to a 7pin with lower chain speed higher torque?

So a 660 with an 8pin sprocket and 20-25inch bar would be some serious chain speed if i understand correctly haha :p

My dad heated his house with wood for many years. He had one saw, and it had a 14" bar. Not to say those big saws don't have their place but I prefer to use the smallest saw that will do the job because of the economy, weight and fatigue factors. If you're just going to have fun get the big saws. If you need to be practical and economical like most of us then rethink your options.

An 8 pin sprocket would give more chain speed, less torque, as opposed to a 7pin with lower chain speed higher torque?

So a 660 with an 8pin sprocket and 20-25inch bar would be some serious chain speed if i understand correctly haha :p
Yes. You're plenty young enough to enjoy it. Who cares what it weighs, right:) I still prefer a 460 for the bulk of the work though. Of course it would be ported though.

My dad heated his house with wood for many years. He had one saw, and it had a 14" bar. Not to say those big saws don't have their place but I prefer to use the smallest saw that will do the job because of the economy, weight and fatigue factors. If you're just going to have fun get the big saws. If you need to be practical and economical like most of us then rethink your options.

I agree, those factors play a major part, and i see your point!:)

Yes. You're plenty young enough to enjoy it. Who cares what it weighs, right:) I still prefer a 460 for the bulk of the work though. Of course it would be ported though.

Haha yes! who cares what it weighs :p The way i see it.. I don't rely on this tool for a living.. well not yet anyways, il be transferring into a forestry program after this semester of classes.
But again, i can take breaks at my own leisure and take it at my own pace:)

But if i bought the 460 i wouldn't have it ported, So the 660 would be around the same power wise or a little more?

Maybe il end up getting a 460 in the future anyways?:)

Of the two saws you are looking at I would say go with the 460. If you have been doing all your wood so far with a 026 then you will be able to do alot bigger wood or the same wood in 2/3 the time. Don't overlook the 441 either.

If ya like to lean on your saw a lot stick with a 7 pin... but if you can sharpen your chain just right you can stand there one handed Wide Open with an 8 pin and watch the bar sink quickly thru a 25" red oak... I'm just guessing, never done it, but the numbers look good, and I would never let go of either hand, I'm just guessing based on what my 7900 does. If the cash isn't a concern get the best you can afford, and if the weight doesn't matter get the 660!!!!!

Stihl saws kick:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Of the two saws you are looking at I would say go with the 460. If you have been doing all your wood so far with a 026 then you will be able to do alot bigger wood or the same wood in 2/3 the time. Don't overlook the 441 either.

Yeaa that makes me really think about it haha, and that is a really good point.. compared to the 026 im using right now. man that 460 would seem like a tank, and the 660 an even bigger beast!

Although i do have a dayton 2z463,(rebadged poulan) which is around 73cc's.. and im used to that weight. But i would call that saw anything but reliable!

660. You can always give it less throttle to mach the 460.

You are young and you will have this thing for 20 years. How many engine powered tools have you had that you thought, man, I wish this had less POWER????

880??

A sharp chain should never be forgotten if you want to cut fast. PPE. 660:msp_thumbup:

I think ive bout made up my mind on the 460. The 660 would be awesome to have, but i think its overkill for what i need. 026 to a 460 will still be a huge difference, so i dont think il be dissapointed!

I can always look into getting a 660 in the future anyways, depending if i need it or not, or just want it haha :)

I think ive bout made up my mind on the 460. The 660 would be awesome to have, but i think its overkill for what i need. 026 to a 460 will still be a huge difference, so i dont think il be dissapointed!

I can always look into getting a 660 in the future anyways, depending if i need it or not, or just want it haha :)

You will very happy with the 460. Very good saw.

A bit lighter than the 660 so you will use it without getting as tired.

Back