First purchas of a new Stihl! need opinions:)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like the 460 with a muff mod would be more the adequate for my needs. I think il end up with 20 and 25 inch bars for the saw.

Does anyone know how many tanks approx. it will take to break in?

A 20" bar makes a very nice all around bar. I'd skip the 25" and get a 28" Light bar. Break-in is over rated. Don't work it too hard for the first couple tanks, but it should be strong right out of the box. The biggest improvement you can do for the saw is to open that muffler up. They don't have near the exhaust area as they did when they were developed, and suffer significantly in power loss.

Unless you have $1800 and change and your dealer stocks .404 chain I would stay away from the 880. I went in to a dealer today looking for .404 and all they had was 1 piece with 25 drivers. Other than bigger is better the 460 is probably more saw than you actually need with a 20-25" bar. I would get the 441 and spend the extra money on PPE, a box of round files, and a Stihl bumper sticker. Brad knows the capabilities of the 441 and has a few videos to watch.

I have a MS460 and just yesterday I put a factory dp muffler on it. That thing is AWESOME!!!! You can't go wrong with it, good power and lighter weight...

I have a MS460 and just yesterday I put a factory dp muffler on it. That thing is AWESOME!!!! You can't go wrong with it, good power and lighter weight...

Did you open up the original hole in the muffler body? If not, you're still restricted over the original 046. My Dad's 046 came from the factory with the dual port cover, plus has a much larger hole in the muffler body. I actually opened both of those up even further.

My two cents: As your "go to" saw get the 460 and don't look back. I'm not much on changing bars and I advocate using the longest that the saw will balance and you feel comfortable with for firewood cutting. I prefer 28". If I cut storm damage a lot, I would use a smaller bar as you can really feel the lenght in over head cutting. Ron

A 460 would be a little easier to manuveur around but not much really. I've used both quite a bit and when you get used to the weight they're both not too bad. The bar is what makes the weight difference to me. When I was running a 20" bar on my 660 is was alot easier to carry around than it is with the 28".

If you get a 660 you will be happy. You'll be happy with a 460 too but I like having the 660 and a 361 to do alot of my regular firewood cutting. I have to cut lots and lots of big trees in my work and they are mostly hardwood like Oak and Maple. Thats where the big boy shines. But when I'm cutting up trees into firewood sized peices I'm running my 361. Alot of times I cut up 30-40" trunks into firewood too though. That 660 really comes in handy when cutting up and noodling hardwood that size.

So my vote is to get the 660 and then look for a good 361 or 362. With those two saws, you'll never need that 026 again.

I think a 460 would be well suited to what you need in a saw too though, I'm just partial to a 660.:msp_cool: Truth be told, a 362 or 441 would be the perfect firewood saw for you IMO. Those big 660s are fun to run though.:bowdown:

yea the 660's are also very appealing :) im almost tempted to get the 660, because i dont know what il be gettin into when im older.. i hope to have the saw around for a long time if i take good care of it. im only 19 right now and i know il have that saw for yearsss. Il prob open up the muffler and maybe get a duel port cover for whichever saw i buy.

I believe someone said weight isnt a factor for the weekend firewood cutter. Which i believe is somewhat true, because i can take breaks at my own leisure. And i can go at my own pace.

This is honestly a hard choice for me haha... mannn

To the OP. I think you're on the right track with the MS460. If the 026 is your primary saw you're going to notice a huge performance gain. It safe to say it's a very noticeable difference so you won't be let down. I'm not knocking the 026, some would say I'm kind of partial to the 026/260 saws.:) I love my 046. Grab a 25 or 28" bar with the 460, open the muffler a bit, and you won't be disappointed!

You can do so much with the 460 you will rarely need the 026. I'm a desk jockey and I notice the weight difference between my 046 and 660. When I cut with the 660 I use a 2-saw plan with my 260. When I cut with the 046 it's a one saw plan with a 2nd saw just in case...

Then again the more saws the merrier!

A 20" bar makes a very nice all around bar. I'd skip the 25" and get a 28" Light bar. Break-in is over rated. Don't work it too hard for the first couple tanks, but it should be strong right out of the box. The biggest improvement you can do for the saw is to open that muffler up. They don't have near the exhaust area as they did when they were developed, and suffer significantly in power loss.

Is the power gain noticeable?
20 and 28 inch bars sound to be a good choice, i guess i can think about these 2 saws all i want, but it all depends on what im feeling in the store haha
the 460 seems like more of the logical choice, but running the 660 would be a joy also.

Don't sweat it. You'll end up with bot of them anyway:)

haha i hope so eventually:)

so would opening the muff inside as far as i can, (well as far as the spark arrester will fit). and getting a dp muff cover help?

would putting the dp muff cover improve performance over just the regular muff mod?

haha i hope so eventually:)

so would opening the muff inside as far as i can, (well as far as the spark arrester will fit). and getting a dp muff cover help?

would putting the dp muff cover improve performance over just the regular muff mod?
The DP cover is a waste of money unless you just like the looks of it. You can get all the flow you need on an otherwise stock saw by simply opening up the original opening.

The DP cover is a waste of money unless you just like the looks of it. You can get all the flow you need on an otherwise stock saw by simply opening up the original opening.

I think i see how that works, because the exhaust is still only comming from 1 opening inside the muff no matter if its flowing/exiting from 2 openings on the dp muff or 1 from the regular ?..

I had an 046 Magnum and man that thing was a ripper. It would leave my similar sized Husky in the dust.

I think the MS 460 is a wise choice, you could always have it ported after you've had it for awhile.

Latest posts

Back