First Saw, Safety, Teen Son to Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffB

Reaction score
I'm Harry-home-owner thinking about my first gas chainsaw. I'd like to get a gas, 18" model from Husqvarna, Stihl or Echo (open to other suggestions ...). We have some trees that are about 8" diameter to down in our 2/3 acre yard. Foresee a fire pit in the back yard some day.

I am concerned about safety. My 17 year old son is a very hard worker, and he will use this saw unsupervised. He is mature and sensible for his age in many ways, but this will be a cool toy to him. Seventeen year-olds do act without thinking it through sometimes, as is illustrated by the new dents in my car. He's not real cautious, doesn't think it can happen to him. Let's just say that what he lacks in experience, he sometimes makes up for in energy. He is physically strong (athlete).

My wife says an 18" saw is too heavy and provides way more kick than a 16". Since the extra kick may be dangerous, I'd like to ask this forum for opinions. Do these circumstances sound like we would be better with a 16" than an 18"? Are there any other fundamentals I should emphasize to my son, such as goggles, helmet, etc. for this kind of yard work. Looking to borrow experience from those of you. Thanks.

I dont think you need a saw with an 18" bar.
You might be having a Tim the Tool Man MORE POWER moment.:msp_biggrin: We men are all guilty of that.
If the largest tree you ever plan to cut is only 8" in diameter...
then a good 14" saw will work just fine. Samller saws are also
much lighter weight and will not work Harry-home-owner in the ground in 1/2 hour. Your 17 year old will be quite happy telling his buddies " I ran a Chainsaw today". Even if the saw has a 14" bar.

If nither of you have ever run a chainsaw before it would be a good idea for both of you to attend a saw safty class. You dealer should be able to help with that. If I were to need a new saw with a 14" bar I would most likely buy a Echo 310 from my local dealer. Good saw for what it is ment to be.

Goggles are a must.
Ear muffs are good. Saws are louder than 17 year old music.
Good boots, Steel toe if possible.

David

P.S. Dont allow you son to run the saw when he is alone. You either for that matter.

No one should run a chainsaw when they are alone.

You and your son maybe should check out some of the recent postings here on chainsaw injuries, and check out some YouTube videos about chainsaw kickback. Quick and nasty.

No matter if you're an olympic athlete, you're not quick or strong enough to deal with all the things that might happen. If you're careless. Once is enough to maim or kill.

Some really basic advice:
No "monkey grip" on front handle- keep thumb under, opposite fingers.
Keep feet apart, for balance & ability to move.
Keep body-parts out of the "plane of the chain." Stay where bar can't get kicked-back into you.
Hard-hat required for working on tree that's above you.
Keep chain razor-sharp to avoid snagging. Do not cut rocks/dirt.
Even in summer, wear chaps.
Take your time and think ahead.
Learn to use wedges.
If pinching bar is possible, be prepared to yank bar straight back violently- let nobody stand there.

While under instruction, you should be there with him for first x hours, until you're satisfied he's ready. Ask him WHY he did things- stimulate conscious thought.

You don't need a chainsaw

I'm Harry-home-owner thinking about my first gas chainsaw. I'd like to get a gas, 18" model from Husqvarna, Stihl or Echo (open to other suggestions ...). We have some trees that are about 8" diameter to down in our 2/3 acre yard. Foresee a fire pit in the back yard some day.

I am concerned about safety. My 17 year old son is a very hard worker, and he will use this saw unsupervised. He is mature and sensible for his age in many ways, but this will be a cool toy to him. Seventeen year-olds do act without thinking it through sometimes, as is illustrated by the new dents in my car. He's not real cautious, doesn't think it can happen to him. Let's just say that what he lacks in experience, he sometimes makes up for in energy. He is physically strong (athlete).

My wife says an 18" saw is too heavy and provides way more kick than a 16". Since the extra kick may be dangerous, I'd like to ask this forum for opinions. Do these circumstances sound like we would be better with a 16" than an 18"? Are there any other fundamentals I should emphasize to my son, such as goggles, helmet, etc. for this kind of yard work. Looking to borrow experience from those of you. Thanks.

--I'm serious. You do not need a chainsaw for this task. Neither of you knows about chainhsaws, and little eight inch trees don't need a chainsaw, given your "athlete" son is the one going to do the cutting. You need a twenty dollar human powered bowsaw. Grab a couple extra blades. Google how to do simple basic felling cuts.

Example, a straight up tree, perfect pencil looking. check which way it wants to go, they'll be a slight lean or heaviness more on one side or the other, make a flat cut that direction into the tree approx 1/4 the distance in, maybe a third, a little off the ground, whatever is comfortable and enough to keep the blade outta the dirt. Now go opposite that on the other side of the tree, cut about one inch over that. Cut to that hinge area, you can make a real slight downslope if ya want, push it over at the last when it's ready to go, get back while it is falling. Learn to do this. You never stand right at any tree when it is falling, you make your cuts and get outta the way. Buck it up when it is on the ground. Start at the far away branches and work your way back..

One, saying this because I have cut a BUNCH of firewood by hand with a saw like that, a LOT, cords and cords and cords, a bigger diameter than that, two, I am a little dude, your athlete is proly a foot taller and twice as strong, meaning he can learn to cut slow and easy like and actually learn something, three, you most likely are not going to get hurt, nor the son, plus he'll burn up the energy. If he has more strength than smarts, don't turn him loose with any chainsaw right now. You are not taking about the necessity of firewood heating, just some sort of ambience "firepit". So, there's no rush to get a gas chainsaw and commence mass cellulose carnage.

I'm not trying to come off snarky, just stating my opinion given the parameters you have offered. If you needed to go get ten cord up for this upcoming winter, etc, or you would freeze, my recommendation would be quite different.

Take yer time, you can fell and buck up small trees perfectly fine with a 30 or 36 inch bowsaw. You can drop an eight inch hardwood with a bowsaw in a few minutes. Ya, it won't be ten seconds like a chainsaw, so what? Back to the "more strength and energy than experience and common sense" deal.

Learn to cut well with a handsaw, what you (or he) learn will transfer over to a chainsaw eventually when you *really* have a need for one and need to know how to use one safely.

chainsaws are just as dangerous as driving a car. They make folks take classes now and pass a test to drive, chainsaws????

Just because you can afford one don't make it a good idea for everyone.

Time and a place for gas powered devices, this ain't one of them, IMO. Just like if all you had was a 30 x 30 front yard..you wouldn't need a riding mower. Same deal. Some trees for a firepit, meh, get a cheap handsaw and let the kid burn some calories and exercise ye aulde arm and back muscles.

Don't know if anyone else said it, But i think you'd be SET with an MS 250 STIHL saw. lots of power, Light, safe, (well all saws are dangerous, but it's safe compared to a 440. LOL) and you can get it in either 12" to an 18" bar/chain.

Good luck
and get er done.

First you say he's mature and sensibe. Then you turn around and say he's not very cautious. Sounds like you're in doubt, and you know what they say don't you. When in doubt don't do it.

First you say he's mature and sensible. Then you turn around and say he's not very cautious. Sounds like you're in doubt, and you know what they say don't you. When in doubt don't do it.
Neither one has a clue what they're doing!!!
Color this situation...a mishap about to happen...Ugly RED!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Get a battery powered chainsaw to learn on, slow and fairly safe. If your set in the gas saw then get a Stihl MS 170-1 series and put a bucking helmet and saw chaps in the basket and go watch the Stihl chain saw safety video on the Stihl web site. The 170 is good light use saw for a beginner wood cutter.

How about doing some reading first. This is excellent. Bailey's has other books too.

Bailey's - Professional Timber Falling by Douglas Dent

The Backyard Lumberjack is good. Then look at this thread which is lengthy, has some BS in it but has a heck of a lot of good info and tips....by real, genuine production timber fallers all around the country and some even in Europe.
http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/116358.htm

Check around and see if there are any classes offered. Some county extension offices know of such things, some forestry associations offer classes, and then there's the Game of Logging which would be excellent for you and your son to go to as they seem to be oriented to homeowner types.

In other words, why don't the both of you do some study and research first? Nevermind if the books show big trees, the basic technique is the same for all sizes.

Neither one has a clue what they're doing!!!
Color this situation...a mishap about to happen...Ugly RED!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Just got to thinking. If the OP's son has alot of strength and energy, why not get him a quality Axe and one of those new Katanaboy folding saws at Bailey's.

I think the responses not to get a chainsaw at all are a little extreme without more info about the OP. Everyone has to start somewhere. I would say that if you or your son, however, have very little to no experience working with your hands and are not mechanically inclined, I agree with the posts that voice concerns with getting a chainsaw since it is probably the most dangerous tool you can buy. If you're not handy with a shovel, screwdriver, wrench, hammer, carpentry tools, etc., well, you get the idea.

But if you're pretty handy and have used a lot of other power tools and just know how to work in general, I see no reason you shouldn't jump in with a small saw.

I was using 12" homelites and a stihl 011 not too long after I hit double digits in age. We cut and split a lot of wood, and did every other thing under the sun because we didn't hire things done. At 18 I probably knew how to fix vehicles better than most men much older than me. I don't saw for a living, but it's something I enjoy and do as safely as I can.

There's no reason the OP couldn't be the same - don't have to be a professional to have a decent grasp of working with ones hands. At the same time recognizing the large lack of experience relative to a professional. The youth will need total supervision, he should never saw alone.

Now if you're the type of guy that gets a new dent every time the car is out and hasn't even used a circ saw, that is a different matter....don't do it.

I think the responses not to get a chainsaw at all are a little extreme without more info about the OP. Everyone has to start somewhere. I would say that if you or your son, however, have very little to no experience working with your hands and are not mechanically inclined, I agree with the posts that voice concerns with getting a chainsaw since it is probably the most dangerous tool you can buy. If you're not handy with a shovel, screwdriver, wrench, hammer, carpentry tools, etc., well, you get the idea.

But if you're pretty handy and have used a lot of other power tools and just know how to work in general, I see no reason you shouldn't jump in with a small saw.

I was using 12" homelites and a stihl 011 not too long after I hit double digits in age. We cut and split a lot of wood, and did every other thing under the sun because we didn't hire things done. At 18 I probably knew how to fix vehicles better than most men much older than me. I don't saw for a living, but it's something I enjoy and do as safely as I can.

There's no reason the OP couldn't be the same - don't have to be a professional to have a decent grasp of working with ones hands. At the same time recognizing the large lack of experience relative to a professional. The youth will need total supervision, he should never saw alone.

Now if you're the type of guy that gets a new dent every time the car is out and hasn't even used a circ saw, that is a different matter....don't do it.

I was handed a saw and told "don't hurt yourself." and then sent out to go thinning. Luckily, we'd gone over chainsaw use a bit in school and I had bucked in a competition, but that was it.

I survived. But it would have made it easier to have somebody along or have known about some reading to do before starting to work. It might have been easier on the leave trees too.

my opinion is that neither of you have the expirence of cutting with a saw. BEFORE anything the key thing is to get some training on Chainsaw saftey and how to use the saw. For 8" trees a small saw can more than do your task. Id start out roughly with a 35-45cc chainsaw. i reccomend the Dolmar ps 350 or the ps 420, their a professionaly built home-owner saw. And my most STRESSED SUGGESTION to you is NEVER NEVER CUT ALONE. Start with a pair of chaps, steel toe boots- avaliable at walmart, and a head set. All of these items are avaliable at bailey's check out the advertisements above. If youve never heard of Dolmar check out their website.
Also when cutting
#1 rule- TAKE YOUR TIME
always keep brush and things clear from tip of bar. kickback happens faster than a car crash.
Dont let a careless person run a saw
most of all be SAFE and have FUN:msp_tongue:

I was handed a saw and told "don't hurt yourself." and then sent out to go thinning. Luckily, we'd gone over chainsaw use a bit in school and I had bucked in a competition, but that was it.

Right around 6-1/2 years old I was given a Chainsaw and told to have fun. Didn't have anybody to teach me safety either.

Right around 6-1/2 years old I was given a Chainsaw and told to have fun. Didn't have anybody to teach me safety either.

Are you warning us that your a mad man with a saw because nobody showed you nothen. I'll go cutten with you but I'll wait in the truck to flag down the ambulance. LMAO Just pullen your chain bro, no pun intended.

Some good videos on basic chainsaw instruction

If you can view videos on youtube, I found these particularly helpful to keep my limbs intact. I recommend watching all of these, even several times each.

These videos come from a professional instructor and give good information to people new to using a chainsaw.

YouTube - ‪Tree Cutting Safety, Part 3: Personal Protective Equipment‬‏

YouTube - ‪Cut Down a Tree Safely‬‏

YouTube - ‪Tree Cutting Safety, Part 2: Bucking and Cutting‬‏

and if your interested in sharpening your own chains...

YouTube - ‪Tree Cutting Safety, Part 4: Chainsaw Sharpening‬‏

The videos on this channel are all about safety. You can never learn too much. Watch the ones with "safety" in the title in uploads especially.

YouTube - ‪ARDTIM's Channel‬‏

Latest posts

Back