First Stihl an 041 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

955matt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
High just bought my first chainsaw an old Stihl 041:greenchainsaw:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of a user manual for it.As I need a couple of bits.

There is slight marks on the piston,do you usually need to change the barrel and piston together or can you get with just changing the piston?

Many Thanks Matt

If you Gents want the workshop manual too I'll post a link but I'll have to upload it first. Big bugger at 73mb

Matt, if it runs good & has good power, I wouldn't be worried about slight marks on the piston. I bought mine new in '72, there may be some slight marks on the piston too, but it's Stihl a cutter - :clap:

Thanks, I'm talking about the outside of the piston. It rubbed a nice groove in there when the bearing went out or when the owner ran it that way til it woudl run no more. Piston looks good from the intake and exaust side so I'm inclined to not worry about it until the new crankcase gets here. :) Are we having fun yet?

I bought my 041 no more than a week ago. That little huney pulls fine in the wood and has the throaty sound to go with it. No its not an AV model. Straight up bone shaking beast. I'm pulling a 24" B/C right now with a set of dogs off of a 044. I could get pictures, but those come at a request. Nice steal man! :cheers:

Great saw, your going to love it. But, that's coming from a guy that thinks the 076 is good looking!:confused:

Great saw, your going to love it. But, that's coming from a guy that thinks the 076 is good looking!:confused:

If my 051AV didn't leak oil. I might be tempted to share my bed with it. The older saws, they are eye catchers. Once I get my PML cleaned up. I'm gonna hang it from the center of my ceiling. Mantle piece.

If my 051AV didn't leak oil. I might be tempted to share my bed with it. The older saws, they are eye catchers. Once I get my PML cleaned up. I'm gonna hang it from the center of my ceiling. Mantle piece.

Are you thinking of cutting wood?:monkey:

Thanks for your help,the saw is a AV model.

The guy I got it from said it might need a service:confused: Had a quick look and found the inlet manifold bolts loose:jawdrop: every thing else fine:clap:

So will put a plug in it and a couple of new gaskets and let you know how it goes.:greenchainsaw:

Matt

Thanks for your help,the saw is a AV model.

The guy I got it from said it might need a service:confused: Had a quick look and found the inlet manifold bolts loose:jawdrop: every thing else fine:clap:

So will put a plug in it and a couple of new gaskets and let you know how it goes.:greenchainsaw:

Matt

Mine had a bad trigger interlock, so the guy I got it from (ebay) jacked up the idle so high the chain would spin fast enough to cut wood without hitting the trigger. With the help from the fine people here I was able to fix it so it purrs. Not having a chainbrake and a high speed spinning chain is just too dangerous!

I put a new Stihl chain ... wow what a difference to my hand sharpening the one that came with the saw.

Mark

Mark

Latest posts

Back