First time buyer with a $500ish budget. Looking for some guidance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this area

Three saws that will work nicely as "do all" firewood saws and can be purchased new in the $500 to $550 range.

Husky 359 / J'red 2159
J'red 2165
Dolmar PS6400 / Makita 6401

Any of these should be very adequate for your needs

Take Care

I've noticed Bailey's no longer lists the Makita 6401. I only see the 6421 now, an EPA-compliant version of the 6401. I'm guessing the difference is a cat muffler?

I'd suggest Craigslist and a bit of patience. I've seen a bunch of quality 60cc+ saws listed in my area over the last couple/few months for less that a new ms261, in some cases less than a new 346xp - IF you don't mind used.

Good luck with your search.

-Sean

Just picked up a price list this week from my STHIL Dealership. Doesn't have a MS261 listed. The MS260Pro will take all of your $500. But looking at a MS311 which is "NEW" on the list may be right up your alley. Wonder if that replaces the MS310 ?

It does replace the 310, but is not much of an improvement, still a clamshell. I would go with the 6401. Its a pro-saw with a lot more grunt! Its even a better buy than

Before you spend $400 for a refurbed 6401, buy a new one for less than $500 from Baileys, site sponsor. Shipping free, because over $200, comes with a 20" bar and chain. REJ2

Is free shipping over $200 back on? I don't see it on the site.

To the OP - You can save money or you can save time, but probably not both.

I got one of my Stihl 660 powerheads off ebay last January for $510.

158545d1290155444-stihl42inch8x6-jpg

Probably more saw than you want to carry, and just got a 32" B&C from Bailey's for $55.

Another member just sold a running 660 here for $475. So $500 lets in a wide range of saws.

Right now thru February used saws will probably be going fairly cheap. Prices start rising again as we get to spring and just before Christmas peak.

Get yourself a compression tester and screwdrivers/torx wrenches so you can pull the muffler and go the CL route.

Since it doesn't sound like you plan on relying on your saw to work you should be able to easily get one or two good saws off CL for $500. And since you will be carrying it in and out I'd suggest you go for anything you can carry in your cart with a load of wood.

Now for the shameless plug - You probably run across some nice trees. Think of getting a Chain Saw Mill and carting out lumber instead of just firewood. Visit the milling forum http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/ , when you make lumber there is a lot of wood left over for firewood. And there are often beautiful spalted pieces of lumber hiding in downed trees.

Even though it's a little heavier than the 59cc saws, I'd buy the refurbished Makita for $400. Run it, and later if you think you want more power, swap out the top end.
Keep in mind that the 6401 is going to come with a rebadged oregon pro-lite bar and Vangard chain. The bar is OK, but the chain will be like trying to cut a log with a butter knife. If you go the makita route, I'd look on bailyes for a closeout carlton 20" bar and woodland pro chain combo. Since you'll only have one saw in the woods, keep the originals as a back up in case you get your saw stuck.
Husky 359 / Jonsered 2159 with 18" bar would be my second choice.
If you go used the Stihl 036 is a great all around saw. But the price and weight of the newer version MS362 would take it off my short list.

Last edited:
Before you spend $400 for a refurbed 6401, buy a new one for less than $500 from Baileys, site sponsor. Shipping free, because over $200, comes with a 20" bar and chain. REJ2
I believe the new version has a cat muffler, and the price may be on its way up (info from GD)......

I'm a major fan of my 361..I had a 290 I ran into the ground when I started in the biz doing stumps..if you're going to go with Stihl dont got with anything less than the 361 if thats going to be your "big" saw for now..mine started off as my big saw and is now just my next step up when I need something bigger than my 200T in the tree..I have since picked up a great 440 and just a couple weeks ago I found a 660 with a 28" bar for $680 I have since put a 36" bar on and it runs like a raging bull..I can appreciate your desire to buy new..but there are PLENTY of great used saws outs there cheap..

The guy is cutting small to moderate size wood, non motorized transportation, etc why not just go with a nice light Husky 3120 or maybe even 088 ?:rolleyes:

Seriously, the top 50 cc saws (346/261) will run with or outcut the "old standard" 60cc saws. The top 60cc... etc. Strong, light, compact...

My 346xp will be my most popular saw hands down. I'll probably even get a 20" bar for it. Yes my 372 will destroy it in big wood, but I can manage most anything I need with teh smaller saw and not pay for it in my aching bones...

I have a budget of around $500 but it's flexible. There seem to be a lot of good choices in my range even a few professional saws. Right now I'm borrowing from friends when I need a saw. I mainly cut firewood for myself but I'm looking to maybe start selling a little bit on the side to make a few dollars. Not a full time operation.

Much of the wood that I get is from property that does not allow motorized vehicles. I spend the warmer months mountain biking and hunting there. Naturally I find fallen trees that I later come back and cut up and haul out with my little lawn cart. Yeah, it's a lot of work but I actually enjoy it. Really good exercise.

Well, right now most of it is under 16" diameter because I look for easy work. My friends Homelite has an 18" bar but doesn't seem to handle the larger wood very well. If I had a better saw I would definately be willing to take on some larger trees.

Last edited:
If you are hauling wood on foot with a cart a 660 will not be the right tool. A 50cc saw will be big enough to haul back with a load of wood. Don't be afraid of a used saw, there are plenty of great saws that already took the depreciation hit. Just be patient too find the right one.

Yeah, the more I read the less I want to buy a brand new saw. I do plan to go with 2 saws. Buying both used will save me some money. I have an opportunity to pick up a 385xp powerhead. I have to admit it is at the top of my list right now. Leaves me the option of picking up something smaller for my 2nd saw.

The 385xp is a great saw I love mine but it will be like hauling around a 660. If you pick up a used 346xp to go with it you will be set.

I went back and reread Grande Dog's post on the 6401 being discontinued, dated 12-08-10, the way i read it sounds like he secured enough to get thru the current sale on them, although he admits that remains to be seen. The free shipping comes from his quote in the Christmas special thread where he states something to the effect that free shipping on orders over $200 will continue after the New Year as it has been of late. According to my Christmas catalog " as of late" expired November 30. Sorry for the inaccurate shipping info, but it does sound like its on its way back sometime soon. GD mentions a New Years flyer in that same Christmas special thread, coming 2nd,3rd week of January. Sawtroll is correct with the price increase on the replacement model. REJ2

Thanks guys.

I'm actually on a 3 saw plan right now. I want to buy the work horse first. I plan to add a smaller 12-14" saw later for the really small jobs and a pole saw pruner for trimming around my house.

As far as weight, I'm using my friends Homelite which has got to be at least 16lbs if not more. Not necessarily at the top of my list with regards to features. I mainly want something that will be dependable and have parts/service available if necessary.
heres the skinny.... there is an echo cs 530 on e**y right now will end tomorrow morning and you can buy it and another smaller saw for your budget....oh by the way it is a 53cc....check it out...and a trimming saw would be a good old cs370... see ya there.

Thanks guys.

I'm actually on a 3 saw plan right now. I want to buy the work horse first. I plan to add a smaller 12-14" saw later for the really small jobs and a pole saw pruner for trimming around my house.

I don't know if you've considered it, but for the pole saw you might look into a non powered model. A couple of the sites sponsor's sell silky pole saws. I recently purchased one, it's a well built unit and it does get the job done.

heres the skinny.... there is an echo cs 530 on e**y right now will end tomorrow morning and you can buy it and another smaller saw for your budget....oh by the way it is a 53cc....check it out...and a trimming saw would be a good old cs370... see ya there.

Not quite 53cc's, at least mine isn't, only 50.1cc's,but hey, were splitting hair here.
REJ2

The 385 would be a good choice for a one saw plan for the time being it's not terribly heavy and can be used to limb buck and fall all day long with out getting to tired out. I love mine and it dosen't seem that much heavier than my 372 or my 350. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would buy a used saw with headaches, i.e. blown up piston, like say an 044 or something along those lines and rebuild it. I am in to one right now that was given to me for nothing with a scorched piston. By the time I am done with the rebuild, I will have a professional $700 to $800 (based on the new model of the same size and caliber) for right around a $150.00 that will be for all intents and purposes like brand new by the time I replace all seals, coil and the piston. It is well worth the time to learn and there isn't anyone here that will not help you out with answering questions if yo have them. Otherwise I would buy a 6401 new, you really get good bang for your buck with that saw.

A 385 depending on price and condition could be a great buy. I like the 385/390 as a big saw.

Yeah, the more I read the less I want to buy a brand new saw. I do plan to go with 2 saws. Buying both used will save me some money. I have an opportunity to pick up a 385xp powerhead. I have to admit it is at the top of my list right now. Leaves me the option of picking up something smaller for my 2nd saw.

That is a pretty good saw, would probably be worth putting a little$ into it.

Back