First time buyer with a $500ish budget. Looking for some guidance.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Makita DCS6401. I have similar size trees and use 18" bar. I have 20 and 24, came with saw, and don't use them lately. I guess you can use 20, but I prefer to go the European short bar route...and I am tall height. Short bars have many advantages. Get a high quality bar and chain. Later, find a 50-55 cc saw, slick used. There are a lot of them around. But the Husky/Jonsered are easier to buy. Stihls are expensive saws to buy. There is no new saw that will outperform the Makita DCS6401 for the money. Husqvarna and Jonsered big advantage is the Turbo air cleaning. the 50-55 cc Swedish PRO saws in very nice condition can be found for $150-200 each. They are long life and handle well.

Last edited:
What part of The Burg are you from? Shame is I just E-Bayed a bunch of good runners of all sizes. The Craiglist route is pretty picked over round these parts. Bargains are hard to come by on there.

What part of The Burg are you from? Shame is I just E-Bayed a bunch of good runners of all sizes. The Craiglist route is pretty picked over round these parts. Bargains are hard to come by on there.

I live in Monroeville. Yeah, I haven't seen much on Craigslist and if I do it's usually gone pretty quick.

The Stihl Elite dealers are a bit of a drive for me.

All the elite dealers are a bit of a drive in theses parts. I know there is a good Stihl dealer one exit over from you but not sure if he's an elite dealer. He does a lot of business with the landscapers and usually has pro saws on the rack.

I'm from the Tarentum area I'm real lucky to have a good dealer a few miles away. I don't need him often, but in a pinch he is the man. I bought a saw from him once that was never picked up by a customer. I got it for what was owed on the bill.

Received the 385xp yesterday. (thanks nmurph!) Now that my big saw needs are filled I can keep an eye out for something smaller to complete my 2 saw plan.

Jeramy, i think you will really like that saw. it is strong and very smooth. i hated to sell it, but i didn't need another saw in that size. i would be on the look-out for a 346 for your small saw.
BTW, i don't know what your elevation is, but you may need to re-tune that saw. i am pretty much at sea level and it was tuned accordingly.

Jeramy, i think you will really like that saw. it is strong and very smooth. i hated to sell it, but i didn't need another saw in that size. i would be on the look-out for a 346 for your small saw.
BTW, i don't know what your elevation is, but you may need to re-tune that saw. i am pretty much at sea level and it was tuned accordingly.

Thanks Neal. I think we are somewhere around 900-1000ft. Not 100% certain though. I'm no stranger to tuning Chevy engines but admitingly do not have much experience with saws. Time to do some homework. lol

Received the 385xp yesterday. (thanks nmurph!) Now that my big saw needs are filled I can keep an eye out for something smaller to complete my 2 saw plan.

Glad to see you got a good one. Very good choice buying one from a member, you know it was taken care of and you know the member you got it from has a good name here. Congrats!:clap::chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back