first timer needing some info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertjoe

Reaction score
Hello Everybody I'm a first timer here and needing some info on my old Stihl chainsaw. I have had this tool for 20+ years and have cut a few cords of wood along the way. We quit using the wood burning heater bout 4 years ago so the saw has not had much use other than during the Deer hunts when we take it to the mountains for campfire wood. This thing has gotton hard to start and finally this year, it would not start at all.
I am a kind of shadetree mechanic so after cleaning 20 years of bar oil and wood shavings out of all the nooks and crannies I took the carb off and dis-assembled and sprayed cleaner in all the holes and blew out with air. Looks like new! Not having a Stihl dealer anywhere close to me, I thought I might get away with re-using the old gaskets,,,,, but no dice. After a few pulls, it started but at a high idle, and if I lowered the low speed screw,,it would die,,,,then the carb started to FLOOD big time so I quit.as I don't want to burn my shop down,,,,
The SN of the carb is a Tillitson HS( i think) 188 725 and the chainsaw SN is 4239550. I have not had any luck with either of these numbers on internet.
What I remember from 20 years ago, is that it was a Farm Boss with 18" bar and little else.. It's hell getting old,,ain't it?
Can anybody help ID this saw so I can order parts? Many thanks

Hello Everybody I'm a first timer here and needing some info on my old Stihl chainsaw. I have had this tool for 20+ years and have cut a few cords of wood along the way. We quit using the wood burning heater bout 4 years ago so the saw has not had much use other than during the Deer hunts when we take it to the mountains for campfire wood. This thing has gotton hard to start and finally this year, it would not start at all.
I am a kind of shadetree mechanic so after cleaning 20 years of bar oil and wood shavings out of all the nooks and crannies I took the carb off and dis-assembled and sprayed cleaner in all the holes and blew out with air. Looks like new! Not having a Stihl dealer anywhere close to me, I thought I might get away with re-using the old gaskets,,,,, but no dice. After a few pulls, it started but at a high idle, and if I lowered the low speed screw,,it would die,,,,then the carb started to FLOOD big time so I quit.as I don't want to burn my shop down,,,,
The SN of the carb is a Tillitson HS( i think) 188 725 and the chainsaw SN is 4239550. I have not had any luck with either of these numbers on internet.
What I remember from 20 years ago, is that it was a Farm Boss with 18" bar and little else.. It's hell getting old,,ain't it?
Can anybody help ID this saw so I can order parts? Many thanks

If it's a tilly HS, you need a tilly HS kit.......

Rebuild kit for Tillotson Carburetor

If it's a farm boss, it's probably an 029.

Carb rebuild kit only requires the carb info,

Lots of Farm Boss's
Take a picture and these guys will id the saw in just a few views.

OK,,,everybody knows how the younger you get,,,,the more you re,member,,,??? Well,, I have misplaced my camera and cannot locate so I had to catch my son and borrow his to post a pic of my chainsaw so you Guys can help me ID it so I can order a carb kit for it.
To refresh everybody, I have an old Stihl saw ( Maybe 30 years old) that needs a carb kit or new carb. Got to where it would not start so took carb off and cleaned it good. re-assembled but it now floods big time. (old gaskets) Carb is a Tillitson HS ( I think) 188725 abd the SN of saw is 4239550. will try to attach some pics to see if somebody can help me ID so I can order parts. Thanks

OK,,,everybody knows how the younger you get,,,,the more you re,member,,,??? Well,, I have misplaced my camera and cannot locate so I had to catch my son and borrow his to post a pic of my chainsaw so you Guys can help me ID it so I can order a carb kit for it.
To refresh everybody, I have an old Stihl saw ( Maybe 30 years old) that needs a carb kit or new carb. Got to where it would not start so took carb off and cleaned it good. re-assembled but it now floods big time. (old gaskets) Carb is a Tillitson HS ( I think) 188725 abd the SN of saw is 4239550. will try to attach some pics to see if somebody can help me ID so I can order parts. Thanks

That is a stihl 041 Farm boss i use to have one.

Re

It looks like an 041 farm boss. I have an 041 super that basically has the same style, give or take a few details. Like was stated before, if you have a Tillotson hs carb, then buy the same type repair kit.

WOW,,,that was super quick,,,! Great,,,!! dh1984, Totembear and ModifiedMark,,,I appreciate your help. I want to repair this saw as it still has great compression and is a Hoss when it comes to ripping up the firewood.
Is the RK-21HS a Stihl part number,,,? Many thanks Joe r

WOW,,,that was super quick,,,! Great,,,!! dh1984, Totembear and ModifiedMark,,,I appreciate your help. I want to repair this saw as it still has great compression and is a Hoss when it comes to ripping up the firewood.
Is the RK-21HS a Stihl part number,,,? Many thanks Joe r

No thats not the Stihl part number, thats the Tillotson part number.

90% of HS carbs used a RK-23HS kit and most small engine shops have those in stock. The HS used by Stihl uses the RK-21HS kit so unless the local shop is a Stihl dealer, they will most likely have to order it for you.

Replace the fuel line and fuel filter. That would explain the high idle - lean condition.

Back