First Tree(s) Down!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZandarKoad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright, it may not seem like much but it's a historic moment for me. I just did my first tree job. Before this day, I've never even operated a chain saw at all. I did have to do one crazy thing simply because I'm so broke at the moment... But soon I'll be getting a harness and some rope. There were three really small trees (10", 8", 6") but one was pretty tall (40' ish). I had to top it before I could fell it. HOLY CRAP was it fun cutting things up with a chain saw. I was amazed at how FAST it all went!

Glad you had a good time. Enjoy the novelty while you can, because it becomes hard work very quickly.

Your post suggests that you don't have much experience. Can I suggest spending a lot of time working on the ground before getting in a tree to use a chainsaw? It's fundamentally dangerous, in ways that you probably won't understand until you learn some more.

There are lots of sources to learn about how to do the work. I am not going to fault you one little bit, because I started doing this with complete ignorance and no experience at all.

Go very slow. Mistakes can be perilously expensive.

Congrats to you!

Everything the poster above said is true... be careful.

Dave

Dually Noted

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest I had no experience. I meant to explicitly state that fact. :) Your words of caution are well taken. I'm going to spend some time with a friend of mine who's been in the business for several years. He's going to show me some knots and climbing techniques, etc.

Pick up a few books too. The tree climber's companion is a good one. Also, check out the tree climber's guide.

Books

I've already read through most of The Fundamentals of General Tree Work. Thanks to arboristsite for referring me to that resource.

Dude, where are you at in the great state (besides the liberal a-holes, mostly in the south) of Wisconsin? If you are close I could educate you real fast, that is unless you are one of the liberals.

Last edited:
No where near Gilman, sorry to say. I'm in Milwaukee.

As far as being liberal... I walked to the right, past "conservative" a long, long time ago. When I look back from where I am now, it's hard for me to tell the difference between a "conservative" and a "liberal". Heh

Good, good for you, that's the attitude to have. The way I see it Madison can make all the rules they want, but they can't enforce them up here. Later man.

I've already read through most of The Fundamentals of General Tree Work. Thanks to arboristsite for referring me to that resource.

I have that book, and it points out a lot of technical stuff that has helped me a time or two. Just one problem: it's not really a very good "how-to" book.

Don't count on it to teach you how to do a job, use the fundamentals to get better at what you know.

I have that book, and it points out a lot of technical stuff that has helped me a time or two. Just one problem: it's not really a very good "how-to" book.

Don't count on it to teach you how to do a job, use the fundamentals to get better at what you know.

PD! that book is the bible of treework! but i have heard the illustrations in tree climbers companion are nice. never seen it though.

good luck with your climbing kid. go low go slow. and dont free climb.

Alright, it may not seem like much but it's a historic moment for me. I just did my first tree job. Before this day, I've never even operated a chain saw at all. I did have to do one crazy thing simply because I'm so broke at the moment... But soon I'll be getting a harness and some rope. There were three really small trees (10", 8", 6") but one was pretty tall (40' ish). I had to top it before I could fell it. HOLY CRAP was it fun cutting things up with a chain saw. I was amazed at how FAST it all went!

It's a really big deal, as i'm excited to be just starting out too. called about insurance, $500 a year for liability, not sure if thats good or not.

PD! that book is the bible of treework! but i have heard the illustrations in tree climbers companion are nice. never seen it though.

It's one of my favorite tree books, but it was never intended to be a tutorial. Instead, it does an excellent job of teaching concepts and techniques "fundamental" to the job.

Unfortunately, that standard falls far short of telling you how to do the job from start to finish.

It's sort of like an technical mechanics manual: you might have an excellent source for how to use mechanics tools like engine diagnostic tools, torque wrenches, micrometers, and impact tools, with specifications on where and how to use each, but that is a far cry from teaching you how to tear down and re-assemble an engine.

Back