Fiskars-Another Believer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually KindredSpiritzz, what part of WI are you in? If you could make it to the Interfaith charity wood cutting / splitting event in Danbury, October 5, you would probably see LOTS of those in use, and probably meet someone who would buy yours.

- http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/210227-47.htm (starting around post #698)

(I already have an X25 and and X27. Kept my sledge and wedges for really nasty stuff, but sold the Monster Maul on CL)

- http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/170817.htm

Philbert

cleaned mine up enough Home Depot should give me a refund i think. Still shaking my head you guys love this thing so much. To each their own i guess.

Really? I find that I have to swing my X25 so hard that my feet come off the ground like Yosemite Sam.

I have the older Super Splitter as my main axe, same handle length, slightly different and probably slightly better head. Probably have thirty cords through it, and a few more through the lighter Pro Splitter. Mostly red oak and red maple, but a mix of other stuff too.

Something ain't right if you're swinging hard and I don't think a longer handle is going to help. Whether it's your technique or wood, don't know.

so my new fiskars 27 arrived UPS a couple days ago. Soon as i picked up the box i thought Houston, we have a problem! It was so light i couldnt believe it was for splitting wood. I wasnt very impressed with the plastic composite handle either, i don't see that standing up to much of a beating. Anyways, I take it outside and commence to whacking on some 14 inch box elder rounds and i was further deflated. Stuff my heavier axe would of went thru in one or two whacks took 4 or 5 with fiskars. Then i tried some maple and that went a little bit better but it doesnt compare with my other axe. The heads just way to light and the wedge shape is no where near big enough. Good thing its so light and doesnt wear you out cause you're going to be swinging it twice as much to split rounds.
Had i been able to look at fiskars in a store and feel one i would have left it on the store shelf. I'll probably end up having to keep it now that its all scuffed up. I suppose it'd be ok for splitting pine, aspen and maybe maple or light brush chopping. i don't see it ever being a main part of my arsenal tho. Honestly i don't understand all the hype. Wish i could have seen it before purchasing, could of saved $50.

Fiskars works primarily by aim/reading the wood and speed and shape of the head. It IS a lightweight tool, on purpose, and to use it effectively it has to be swung fast. not hard, fast. I know I can't swing very hard, but I am a good shot with most tools and can get some headspeed up with the fiskars, not so much with a much heavier axe or maul

I have used this analogy before

generic anvil on a stick heavy maul, 45-70 government

fiskars lightweight splitting axe, Remingon 7mm magnum

both can do a similar job, they just do it differently

Anyway, it doesn't matter use what works for you.

Anyway, it hasn't been "hype" it has been a lot of guys here who have gotten them and make them work quite well. Like guys with a 346xp..it ain't hype.

We ain't lying when we all have done our little posts here and there. Not hype, just reporting (like you are reporting your experience so far). Not everyone, but so far very rough guess after lebenty dozen threads, well over 90% of guys who get the fiskars like them a lot and use them as part of their toolset.

It's a different swing and technique over a maul, that's about it. Swing it like a maul or something else, ain't gonna work well. Swing it the semi approved way, feet spread, perpendicular to your round, straight over head, drop knees a little and very slight wrist twitch twist at impact (down/in/and to the outside of the round direction, all at the same time), it works pretty good. The technique is important for the speed deal. You need kinetic energy to bust wood, either heavy and slow or fast with a lighter "thing". Has to be fast though and might take a few sessions or hours to develop new muscle memory on using it. I know for me I liked it right off the bat, but it did take me a couple cords to go from fair to good with it. Some times I am excellent, but I float between good and excellent in most wood. Some wood just ain't for a fiskars, use another tool or technique then. I can either outright judge just by looking at it and experience, or give it a few whacks and go/no go.

Like today I am going out in the drizzle this afternoon and gather up my wood. The big rounds need to be busted a little before I load them up. I don't swing a fiskars directly on the ground so I will take the anvil on a stick and the sledge and a saw for cutting a starter kerf if needs be, or noodle. I was just looking at the heap, rounds where a couple big branches came out, meh, I know to noodle them guys..

Something ain't right if you're swinging hard and I don't think a longer handle is going to help. Whether it's your technique or wood, don't know.

Agreed.

I read up a lot on the x27 before purchasing and the only problem people had was once in blue moon one of the gets out of the factory without being sharpened, which renders it almost useless until you put a nice edge on it.

After putting several sessions in with it the only place it doesn't outshine a maul is in real twisted/stringy/knotty wood. Otherwise it is head and shoulders above.

Last winter I bought a 50$ x27 fiskars to replace my Collins axe .i bought it based on all the great reviews
Once I began to use it and understand the technique I realized it is a bit better at splitting small stuff than the typical splitting axe .. But its overrated in my opinion your still going to be wacking your brains out over and over on
Bigger pieces of hardwood and let's face it , its no miracle tool its still just an axe and your going to be tired . Maybe guys splitting small diameter softwoods and pine out west love it but even with the patented fiskar swing and a sharp edge Some rounds of oak or maple require a dozen super wacks to do the trick .The amazing reviews would make you think it replaces a 20+. Ton gas powered log splitter and cures your ingrown toenails .i can say that is fabulous nonsense .i would love to line up some big rock hard stumps up and use a gas splitter and some one use the fiskars ..And we could see who gets done first.its kinda like having an Amish buggy with rubber tires instead of steel wheels .. Is it better sure but its not a silverado extended cab pickup lol

Last edited:
I bought a x27 a few weeks back and got the chance to use it last weekend. I am really Impressed with it. Splits Maple, Ash and Pine with relative ease. Some of the bigger Pines take a few swings and im fine with that. I was splitting for about 5 hours that weekend and shoulders, arms, and back are still good for the work week ahead. Im a bigger guy about 260lbs and i can get the Fiskars to go through about anything i want, but i still use a larger maul and hell sometimes i even use a cutting axe for that nostalgia feeling.

Like said numerous times certain tools are better for certain jobs, However the Fiskars IMO is the best all around splitter there is. If i could only have one...Fiskars would be my choice.

P.S. i know its an old thread but its a good one :D

I think if they bulked up the head to twice the weight and widened the wedge they might have something. Heavier head and you don't have to swing as hard or fast, just takes less effort in my opinion. Sure made me appreciate my old axe a lot more after using the fiskars.

I think if they bulked up the head to twice the weight and widened the wedge they might have something. Heavier head and you don't have to swing as hard or fast, just takes less effort in my opinion. Sure made me appreciate my old axe a lot more after using the fiskars.

They do make heavier splitting mauls, including at least one with a composite head, but they don't sell them in the US. I know I have emailed them now twice with no response about availability. I have no idea whatsoever why they don't want to at least try and sell them here.

go to ebay, check the "worldwide" setting and paste this

fiskars x39

into the search box there, first hit you can see one.

Last winter I bought a 50$ x27 fiskars to replace my Collins axe .i bought it based on all the great reviews
Once I began to use it and understand the technique I realized it is a bit better at splitting small stuff than the typical splitting axe .. But its overrated in my opinion your still going to be wacking your brains out over and over on
Bigger pieces of hardwood and let's face it , its no miracle tool its still just an axe and your going to be tired . Maybe guys splitting small diameter softwoods and pine out west love it but even with the patented fiskar swing and a sharp edge Some rounds of oak or maple require a dozen super wacks to do the trick .The amazing reviews would make you think it replaces a 20+. Ton gas powered log splitter and cures your ingrown toenails .i can say that is fabulous nonsense .i would love to line up some big rock hard stumps up and use a gas splitter and some one use the fiskars ..And we could see who gets done first.its kinda like having an Amish buggy with rubber tires instead of steel wheels .. Is it better sure but its not a silverado extended cab pickup lol

It's been pointed out repeatedly. IT DOES NOT REPLACE A MAUL. If you expected it to, you weren't reading these threads.

I use mine on splitting mostly black locust but only on none knotty rounds I also use either wedge/sledge or maul to bust big rounds in half before going to the Fiskars. Anyone who tackles a splitting job armed with only one tool gets what he deserves.

Harry K

Last edited:
well i want one axe or maul to split whatever i have in front of me at the moment. I don't want to be mixing and matching axes to wood. Thats getting a little to fancy for me.

well i want one axe or maul to split whatever i have in front of me at the moment. I don't want to be mixing and matching axes to wood. Thats getting a little to fancy for me.

Any generic hardware store splitting maul, cheap, then take it to the grinder and put a real edge and bevel on it. Sounds like you just prefer heavy, which is fine, just edge it and keep it sharp and out of the rocks and dirt.

Any generic hardware store splitting maul, cheap, then take it to the grinder and put a real edge and bevel on it. Sounds like you just prefer heavy, which is fine, just edge it and keep it sharp and out of the rocks and dirt.

BTDT with three of those generic beauties- reworking them, that is. Trust me, you ain't gonna get that done with a bench grinder, unless you are some sort of NC machine.

It will take a while with a large right-angle grinder and a means of holding the maul head in place. By far the most of the work is in flattening the "cheeks" of the head. A very small amount of work will then be required to put an edge on it. (Easiest way: rigid disc, followed by flexible.)

I learned about effective maul head shape from my Mueller maul, and mimicked that on the noname-os. Huge difference. Some folks dismiss all mauls based on the lousy performance of such cheapies. Then become fanboys for slick marketeering and packaging. (Chopper 1, Monster Maul, Fiskars)

Both the cheapies and the fiskars fall short in the metallurgy department. Lousy steel compared to quality alloy properly heat-treated. IME both Mueller and Wetterlings mauls are made of far superior steel, as are some others too, no doubt. Just not as flashy for the marketing boys/girls. Good steel costs more than fancy plastic.

BTDT with three of those generic beauties- reworking them, that is. Trust me, you ain't gonna get that done with a bench grinder, unless you are some sort of NC machine.

It will take a while with a large right-angle grinder and a means of holding the maul head in place. By far the most of the work is in flattening the "cheeks" of the head. A very small amount of work will then be required to put an edge on it. (Easiest way: rigid disc, followed by flexible.)

I learned about effective maul head shape from my Mueller maul, and mimicked that on the noname-os. Huge difference. Some folks dismiss all mauls based on the lousy performance of such cheapies. Then become fanboys for slick marketeering and packaging. (Chopper 1, Monster Maul, Fiskars)

Both the cheapies and the fiskars fall short in the metallurgy department. Lousy steel compared to quality alloy properly heat-treated. IME both Mueller and Wetterlings mauls are made of far superior steel, as are some others too, no doubt. Just not as flashy for the marketing boys/girls. Good steel costs more than fancy plastic.

Doesn't make much difference if you are in the selling products business and neglect marketing.

I have yet to see any of those good metallurgy axes or mauls you talk about offered for sale in any store, which means I have never seen one in meat space either, just pictures.. Even the stihl dealer here doesn't carry the stihl axes, he said they won't even consider them because they just cost too much and guys won't buy them. His words, not mine.

Marketing is reality, you have to get your products out there in front of people. I don't dis or ignore that, marketing is an integral part of capitalism. These companies can either get their products out there somehow, or not sell many in the US. Maybe in europe they are out in the stores more, I don't know that, but, they ain't around here any place. Perhaps in big metro areas there are stores that carry them, but not out here in the semi sticks.

Fiskars has superior marketing, they get their products out there and are "good enough". they aren't the very cheapest, sure not the most expensive, but for just a little over the cheapest you get pretty good, which is "good enough" for most people.

Much more expensive than 50 bucks for an axe or maul, these other companies are going to have to do a better job with "marketing" if they want to sell more. Ain't seen a factory rep for any of them chime in here on the largest wood mangler forum on the net other than that finnish guy who is a member here, and his sells for what, over 300 bucks? None of the other axe/maul makers have bothered to sponsor or chime in yet.

They can compete, but until you get them out there, and one guy local buys one..then another, then another..you ain't selling too many.

Fiskars sells in my area due in large part to ME going around and asking about them and talking them up after I bought one and used it and found it spiffy for a lot of my splitting needs. And I am not seeing the inferior metallurgy, although I can easily believe there is better, it is "good enough" and makes a decent max price point.

As far as I know, I have the very first fiskars axe sold in this area, and I had to order it. No store, not even the box stores, had them previously, now several stores carry them. If wetterlings, oxgore, blastinhammeraxen, etc want to sell more axes, they need to get them to the stores somehow, even if it is consignment sales. If they are happy mail order only and keeping a high price, that's their strategy then, but I tell ya, people (joe sixpack a few cord a year home wood buster "people") are reluctant to drop 80 to over 200 bucks sight unseen on a cutting tool like that. Human nature, they are going to want to see one, pick it up, heft it, etc.

40-50 bucks is one thing, doubling and tripling that is another.

Just like with saws, most people a few cord a year can get by with a cheap factory refurb, I agree..it is the same with axes and mauls. Price point/performance versus need. 435 refurb husky versus 346xp. price point/performance vs need. corrola/lexus/ferrari, price point/performance vs needs.

It's been pointed out repeatedly. IT DOES NOT REPLACE A MAUL. If you expected it to, you weren't reading these threads.

I use mine on splitting mostly black locust but only on none knotty rounds I also use either wedge/sledge or maul to bust big rounds in half before going to the Fiskars. Anyone who tackles a splitting job armed with only one tool gets what he deserves.

Harry K

I realized buying it that as a hand tool it was going to have limitations
But I purchased based on the reviews which I felt were hyped after I got to using the tool .
I guess in a nut shell the premise of my post was that if you were to buy a fiskars
Based on the reviews you'd expect it to do alot better than it actually does .its not junk but people need to realize its not going to replace a hydrolic splitter or even a cheap maul .it is my opinion that you'd be better off taking the 50 bucks they want for a x27
And pay the neighbor kid to smack away on your rounds

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back